• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels' Luis Valbuena tweaks surgically-repaired hamstring

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Last season  Maybin's OBP .383, throw out Revere's injury plagued last season and his OBP would be closer to .340. I expect Escobar defense to hurt more than his singles will help. As many times as he got on base he scored only 68 runs, fewer than Cron, Trout and even Pujols. Possibly because of his poor base running.  I also expect Escobar to regress due to his age.

Wow - -congrats, you can read baseball cards..   Last year it was .383, the rest of his career it was .313.   Gary Disarcina had a season where he batted .307, he still hit .258 for his career.  Dismissing a career based on one year... and not even a full season's worth of results.... is the sort of stupidity that leads to signing GMJ to a 5 year 50 million dollar contract.

Revere?  Throw out his poor season last year and it's still sub .330 -- again, the AL average last year was .333.   I haven't looked at all the projections for him but Steamer has him putting up a .307 OBP.   The guy is fast, and he makes a ton of contact, if it was 1975 people would be raving about him as a number 2 type hitter..  But it's 2017 and he'd be an awful everyday lead-off hitter unless he singles himself into a career season...  when dealing with possible .vs probable, I'd side with probable.

It's funny, you talk about Escobar only scoring 68 runs....  Revere for all his speed has scored more than 71 runs in a season all of once..  ONCE.   Maybin?  ONCE...

So yeah..   Tell me more..  I like it when people poke holes in their own arguments.

man calzone, you are a friggin lot to take. negging everything. i try and keep people somewhere in the middle of temperament, but goddamm man, get someone to tug one out for you. 

also, biting on the whole, "watch it'll be 4-6 weeks because the angels are incompetent" when it had already been reported that he was out 4-6 weeks is some weak ass shit.

18 minutes ago, ukyah said:

man calzone, you are a friggin lot to take. negging everything. i try and keep people somewhere in the middle of temperament, but goddamm man, get someone to tug one out for you. 

also, biting on the whole, "watch it'll be 4-6 weeks because the angels are incompetent" when it had already been reported that he was out 4-6 weeks is some weak ass shit.

I think you misinterpreted my post.  It was reported as a Grade 1 hamstring strain which normally requires 3 weeks of rest. A Grade 2 hamstring strain requires 4-8 weeks of recovery. 

I just don't understand how this guy passes a team physical after having a surgery like he did. Oh and I didn't report that he would be out 4-6 weeks. That was the OCR that I posted and it was reported as a tweak.

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Those are non athlete recovery times where intense stress would not be put on the hamstring doing everyday chores. 

Well it's fair to say that he's had an interesting first month as an Angel because the first OCR report in February said he was healthy and it was downhill from there.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  But if it gives him a reason to bitch he will take it. 

Again we are building around Trout so yes Valbuena fits right in with the hand me downs that we've surrounded Trout with for years. For the record the Angels are his 5th team and won't be his last.

13 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Again we are building around Trout so yes Valbuena fits right in with the hand me downs that we've surrounded Trout with for years. For the record the Angels are his 5th team and won't be his last.

They need guys like this while they rebuild the farm.  Two year deals don't hurt teams.  If they would have spent big money you would have bitched about that.  Also since when do you care about the Trout window?  You have always complained when people bring it up.  You really are our Canadian Eeyore. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, CALZONE said:

Damaged goods and he's going to be here for two seasons. Again our medical staff just allows incoming players to put on the uniform and smile for the camera. 

On 3/23/2017 at 2:16 PM, CALZONE said:

Remember, when the Angels say tweak......it usually means 4-6 weeks before we get the real story.

i don't see how those two above equal the one below. my comment was that your second post above was made after it was already announced to be a strain and that he was out for 4-6 weeks. i'm really unable to see how you weren't taking the opportunity to make a snide comment look prescient. anyways, you do you, boo.

21 hours ago, CALZONE said:

I think you misinterpreted my post.  It was reported as a Grade 1 hamstring strain which normally requires 3 weeks of rest. A Grade 2 hamstring strain requires 4-8 weeks of recovery. 

I just don't understand how this guy passes a team physical after having a surgery like he did. Oh and I didn't report that he would be out 4-6 weeks. That was the OCR that I posted and it was reported as a tweak.

32 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i don't see how those two above equal the one below. my comment was that your second post above was made after it was already announced to be a strain and that he was out for 4-6 weeks. i'm really unable to see how you weren't taking the opportunity to make a snide comment look prescient. anyways, you do you, boo.

Well I mentioned this 12 days ago. I don't trust that Valbuena is really healthy. 

IMG_5820.PNG

On 3/23/2017 at 5:33 PM, Inside Pitch said:

So yeah..   Tell me more..  I like it when people poke holes in their own arguments.

You like poking holes in arguments, how are you plugging the hole at 3B. I guess we will see if Escobar will repeat last year. his BA and OBP both dropped 20 points near the end of season. he can't consistently throw a ball to first will all time in world to do so.

11 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

You like poking holes in arguments, how are you plugging the hole at 3B. I guess we will see if Escobar will repeat last year. his BA and OBP both dropped 20 points near the end of season. he can't consistently throw a ball to first will all time in world to do so.

Eppler spent $7M on third base ... have some faith. The season hasn't even begun yet. 

12 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

LOL...   the "hole" at 3b compiled the 6th best bWAR on the team last season.

So, is that what you were doing when you mentioned Maybin or Revere ???  You were looking to plug the hole at 3B?   You Sir, are briiiiilliant.

Look, at no point have I argued that Escobar is a good 3B, I responded to you saying that two below average OBP guys could replace him as our everyday leadoff hitter.   They could, but realistically we would be worse offensively unless they did something completely out of character with what they have done for their careers.  Maybin and Revere are to leadoff hitters what Aybar was...   fluke seasons where they got on base at decent clips do little to erase their career averages.

I'm pro defense -- probably more so than most here..  I've long argued that run prevention is more important than run production, but given Valbuena is on the shelf for 4-6 weeks I don't see how creating another problem helps.  Marte's got all of 212 innings at 3B in his career -- he's DRS neutral to date but it's a limited sample size and his career OBP of .304 leaves a lot to be desired.   

Escobar is here for one reason only .. to be at the top of the order.  It seems Eppler understands making outs is a bad thing, so they seem willing to look past his bad defense for the time being.  I doubt that would still be the case should his OBP drop to Maybin/Revere or worse ..  Marte levels.

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL...   the "hole" at 3b compiled the 6th best bWAR on the team last season.

And his dWAR over the last 3 years is -3.4, and being a year older (34) isn't going to make it any better this year.His OBP dropped 20 points from last year and likely to continue dropping from now on. From 2012 -2014 his OBP was .318 on ave. Yeah he had a good year in 2015, he regressed somewhat in 2016 and committed the second most errors from a 3B in the AL, I expect that to continue.

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

And his dWAR over the last 3 years is -3.4, and being a year older (34) isn't going to make it any better this year.His OBP dropped 20 points from last year and likely to continue dropping from now on. From 2012 -2014 his OBP was .318 on ave. Yeah he had a good year in 2015, he regressed somewhat in 2016 and I expect that to continue.

Why are you still blathering on about his poor defense??   Who exactly are you trying to convince?  I think he's a bad defender, I don't know of anyone here who thinks he's not a butcher out there... but good lord man try to see the forest for the trees -- he's not here because of his glove and nobody wants him here for his glove.  He's here because he does a decent job of getting on base.  To that end...   His career OBP is .351 over 4965 at bats...  The last three years it's .352.   He's played to his established norms. 

You expect him to regress -- that's great..  I do too but I'm guessing it's for different reasons -- I'm doubtful he hits over .300 again.  But guess what???   Even with regression he likely finishes with a better OBP than the two .320 OBP out machines who also can't play 3B..    So please..  So stop trying to cherry pick stats to try to make your argument less stupid..   

It seems pretty clear from your chickenshit cut and past job where you conveniently ignored I agree he's a bad defender that you're just trying to save face...    Revere and Maybe don't address your perceived "hole" at 3B..  the guy who could is out for 4-6 weeks...  Marte's got a very limited track record defensively and his OBP is atrocious...  This is pointless.

Have at it -- I'm out.