• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Anyone here ever quit chew?

It's probly not a factor for him any longer, as I think it has been over a year now.  The difficulty depends on how long/much he was dipping in the past.  I didn't start until about 7 years ago, and I'm at about a can or two a week now.  I stopped for a month last year (for life-insurance purposes.... 8), and found it to be pretty difficult.  I was strung-out on sunflower seeds, candy, red vines, and gum for the month.  I tried some of the herbal stuff, but it's pretty horrible.

In that month, I was a bit more short-tempered, but I felt better physically too (after the first-week migraine headache left).  Now, I will take a day or two off from time to time just to try to keep the addiction level low.

Josh' problem is his approach at the plate; not quitting tobacco.  He needs to make his swing-zone smaller (I'd be watching lots of film to help with pitch-recognition if it was available to me)

Last year with the Rangers he had the following excuses:

• He quit using tobacco.
  • He had been drinking too many energy drinks
  • He had blue eyes
  • His eyes were excessively dry
  • 'going through something' (mystery problem). Later he said this mystery problem had been quitting tabacco, but it's uncertain whether that's true or not. It seemed like a family issue (which wouldn't have been a surprise considering his recurring coital activities in bar toilets).

He even said 'come on guys, it's me, it's always going to be something weird'.

Now his problem at the plate is that he doesn't have the discipline to adjust to the book on him (busting him down and away). He has thrived on his natural ability all of his life and never learned to study the game. See ball, hit ball, is the only approach he knows. I don't think he has the intelligence to make the adjustment. His overarching pychological problem is that he never wanted to leave Texas. He just didn't know how to conduct himself properly, overplayed his hand, and ended up going to LA.

When he left Texas, he left as if leaving a party by pulling your pants down and peeing all the way out the door. He didn't mean it, but he wasn't mature enough to handle it like an adult. By contrast, Napoli has repeatedly said he loved playing for the Rangers and had a great time here. When he returned yesterday for Boston, he got the na-po-li chant and a nice ovation during his first at-bat.

I think the coaches need to tell him to go up to bat - maybe one AB per game - and don't swing at anything. Just watch pitches. He'll K looking 1/2 the time and the other he'll walk, improving his OBP, demonstrate to opposing pitchers that he's not going to swing at *all* junk, and hopefully provide some discipline and ability to discern between good and bad pitches.

Last year with the Rangers he had the following excuses:

• He quit using tobacco.
  • He had been drinking too many energy drinks
  • He had blue eyes
  • His eyes were excessively dry
  • 'going through something' (mystery problem). Later he said this mystery problem had been quitting tabacco, but it's uncertain whether that's true or not. It seemed like a family issue (which wouldn't have been a surprise considering his recurring coital activities in bar toilets).
He even said 'come on guys, it's me, it's always going to be something weird'.

Now his problem at the plate is that he doesn't have the discipline to adjust to the book on him (busting him down and away). He has thrived on his natural ability all of his life and never learned to study the game. See ball, hit ball, is the only approach he knows. I don't think he has the intelligence to make the adjustment. His overarching pychological problem is that he never wanted to leave Texas. He just didn't know how to conduct himself properly, overplayed his hand, and ended up going to LA.

When he left Texas, he left as if leaving a party by pulling your pants down and peeing all the way out the door. He didn't mean it, but he wasn't mature enough to handle it like an adult. By contrast, Napoli has repeatedly said he loved playing for the Rangers and had a great time here. When he returned yesterday for Boston, he got the na-po-li chant and a nice ovation during his first at-bat.

Holy balls, "no" would have sufficed.

Give brevity a shot.