• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Wally Joyner attending our AngelsWin.com Spring Fanfest tonight

Chuck

On 3/12/2017 at 7:05 PM, disarcina said:

that's why 1995 was such a disappointed --  when the bottom fell out of the team and the season from mid-August to September -- the Halos had a 10 game lead in the West in mid-August and won a 'getaway mid week Business persons day game' against ( I think Cleveland - not sure )  It was a vacation day for me and I took my then little league aged kids. Chili Davis hit a homerun (might have been a grand slam) for the Halos -- the Halos were headed out on a road trip and I think almost every fan in Angels Stadium that day felt that finally the Halos would make the playoffs and finally get Gene Autry's team into  a World Series......

then the collapse -- and that's what made it so difficult -- the general feeling was -- this was the last chance to win one for Gene.........and it didn't happen during his lifetime.

The good guys in the white hats don't get to go to the World Series, apparently..........Goodnight Irene.

Funny enough, I was at that game. My buddy & I drove up from San Diego, taking a day off from college so I remember that game. As an Angel fan, I remember thinking this was a playoff preview. I don't remember who was pitching for the Angels, But Dennis Martinez pitched for Cleveland & Chili Davis did hit a grand slam off him. I wanna say the Angels won 5-1 but can't say for sure. They did win, that I know. Crazy small world. 

I was wrong on score but everything else good. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL199507260.shtml

HALOS23 -- thanks for the post and the memory -- appreciate the box score.

I remember that Mike Harkey pitched that game because the Halos had just acquired him to bolster the rotation -- someone went down with an injury.

Look at that Halos line up !! Pretty good line up -- for all his troubles on an off the field, Tony Phillips was a pretty good lead off hitter for the teams he played for.

My kids were Little League age and it was a hot blistering day in Anaheim - my favorite Halo was, of course, Gary DiSarcina and his opposite number that day was Omar Vizquel who I considered the best defensive SS of the good SS's in the league at the time -- A-Rod, Jeter, Garciaparra etc. and who I rated as being in a league with Ozzie Smith all time......I'm sure we were focused on the MIF'ers that day.

Chili Davis'  shot was just inside the RF foul pole.

And, YES, the mood in the Stadium leaving the park that day was giddy with excitement -- there was no doubt in my mind that the Halos had a head of steam heading into the post-sesaon that my favorite Halos of all time, Number 26, was going to ride a winner........

That it unraveled so quickly it was unreal.  DiSar went down and the team collapsed. And it wasn't like DiSar was having a 'carrying the team' type performance year (a la Mike Trout every year) with his stats.......but he must have just been that glue in the clubhouse that kept the team together..........

15 hours ago, HALOS23 said:

Funny enough, I was at that game. My buddy & I drove up from San Diego, taking a day off from college so I remember that game. As an Angel fan, I remember thinking this was a playoff preview. I don't remember who was pitching for the Angels, But Dennis Martinez pitched for Cleveland & Chili Davis did hit a grand slam off him. I wanna say the Angels won 5-1 but can't say for sure. They did win, that I know. Crazy small world. 

see prior post above.