• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout's WAR

The prevailing theory on some other boards about this is Trout is uncomfortable in LF, he's improving now that he's playing CF and the team has to get rid of Bourjos to solve the problem.

You should always keep your star player happy over one-dimensional dudes.

Of course this is just my personal opinion. Harpers work ethic has been talked about a lot by various news sources. I'm not saying Trout is lagging in that department. It's just not talked about that much ... just that he came into camp over weight.

btw did I mention that Trout is a young superstar and the type of player you build a team around?

He did come into camp overweight. And he does look overweight this season too. Look at his face, it's way more fuller than it was last season. Trout was much better defensively last year too, being able to jump way higher and with much more ease than he has this year (again, due to the extra lbs). He'll lose those lbs as it starts to get hotter, but I wish he just came into the season at 225lbs instead of 235.

Of course his face looks fuller, he's growing up. How many guys look exactly the same as they progress through their 20s? Even if you stay the same exact weight, your face changes shape a little bit.

That's true, but most people/athletes don't have weight issues when they're only 21 years old. They fill out/have weight issues when they're considerably older than that. I don't think Trout's weight is as big of an issue as some people make it out to be, but to me 235 lbs. seems like too much for someone that's only 6'1" and his speed is an important part of his game. 

Whatever the reason, he's significantly slower on the basepaths and has less vertical leap than he used to. 

What's his vertical this year compared to last years'? What is his first to second time compared to last years'?

That's true, but most people/athletes don't have weight issues when they're only 21 years old. They fill out/have weight issues when they're considerably older than that. I don't think Trout's weight is as big of an issue as some people make it out to be, but to me 235 lbs. seems like too much for someone that's only 6'1" and his speed is an important part of his game. 

He has a 9 percent body fat, he doesn't have a weight issue. 

The prevailing theory on some other boards about this is Trout is uncomfortable in LF, he's improving now that he's playing CF and the team has to get rid of Bourjos to solve the problem.

Damn, and I thought we had some bad ideas on this board. 

My point is that sometimes people in their early 20s switch from youthful looks to adult looks. For example, I had a cousin that I saw almost every day throughout his late teens into his twenties. He got a new girlfriend and I didn't see him for about six months. When I saw him again, he hadn't gained any weight, but he didn't look like a kid anymore. He looked like an adult. He looked "grown up."

lmao at these fatties weighing in on a professional athlete's appearance

I'm probably one of the best critics of physiques/body fat you'll get on this site considering I'm a bodybuilder. Whatever your whiny, uninformed ass has to say..just know that I'm right and Trout's body fat IS higher than it was last year, and his skill set has slightly decreased this year; again due to being a little out of shape.

When did Trout misplay balls so close to the wall last year? When he's jumped this season, it looks like he isn't even the same player. Another great example I recall (some here will remember this game that happened this season, some won't). Trout hit a ground ball to the short stop and it bounced off the guys glove, he didn't grab it cleanly. He still ended up throwing Trout out at 1st, last year he would have beat that throw even if the guy had grabbed it cleanly. Trout says he's at 9 percent body fat..doesn't mean it's true. Every non-body builder knows that athletes always lie about their bodyfats (or are just unaware of how to measure it). Most players are usually 4-5% higher than what they think.

Lifetime and Shane, you are so in over your heads right now. 

You're confusing bad timing and misjudging a ball with a 'decreasing athleticism due to added bodyweight'.

You have admitted you are a bodybuilder, you're in over your head on any baseball talk.

That may be true, but the point still stands. Trout is not as lean as he was last year, and it's showing on the base-paths and in the outfield. There is no need to be carrying any extra body fat, he isn't a lineman battling in the trenches. Any extra fat slows him down, as has been shown so far this season.

Trout needs to understand the difference between muscle and fat. Being 10lbs heavier with most of it being fat doesn't make you hit more home runs. It just takes away two of his great assets, speed and defense.

I disagree though. We haven't seen him cut loose on the basepaths, he still gets his triples, stretches singles into doubles a couple of time already. You guys are really blaming his defensive errors on the extra mass. He's going to be more of a HR hitter moving forward. That's just the evolution of the human body as it goes through its different maturity levels.

I disagree though. We haven't seen him cut loose on the basepaths, he still gets his triples, stretches singles into doubles a couple of time already. You guys are really blaming his defensive errors on the extra mass. He's going to be more of a HR hitter moving forward. That's just the evolution of the human body as it goes through its different maturity levels.

Trout hasn't seemed to have added that much muscle this offseason though. If he wants to make the transition into a full blown power hitter, go ahead. He just can't try to be inbetween by adding crappy weight and still trying to stay lean enough to be fast/agile. I'd rather him be 220lb lean like Harper is instead of 235lb at 12-13% body fat like he is right now.

He's not fat.  He's just changing.  Yes, he's bigger than he was last year at this time but that is to be expected for a 21 year old and the natural way the body ages.  Could it have some effect on how he plays.  Maybe on the margins but it's more likely that even as gifted as he is as a ballplayer, it tough to put someone at a position they have rarely played and expect their skills to automatically translate.  He's never been a LFer.  That has more to do with it than anything.