• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin whipping boy for 2017

NJHalo

Winston Llenas was the sweet swinging left fielder for the 1970 Hawaii Islanders, in their last year as the Angel's Triple A affiliate. Coincidentally, that was the same summer my Dad got transferred over there and I immediately became a fan.

The Islanders lost the PCL championship that year to Spokane which was the Dodger's affiliate piloted by a guy named Lasorda and featuring the league MVP shortstop Bobby Valentine who would ironically soon be traded to the Angels two years later in the big Frank Robinson, Bill Singer, Andy Messersmith deal then break his leg under the Anaheim Stadium fence playing centerfield.

By then we were transferred to Orange County where I got to see Llenas not pan out in the bigs and Valentine's promising career crash into the wall.

3 hours ago, makepeac said:

Winston Llenas was the sweet swinging left fielder for the 1970 Hawaii Islanders, in their last year as the Angel's Triple A affiliate. Coincidentally, that was the same summer my Dad got transferred over there and I immediately became a fan.

In Jim Bouton's book Ball Four, he mentioned making a road trip to Hawaii when he was playing for Vancouver in 1969. He said something to the effect that if you were called up by the parent club and your home team was Hawaii, you ought to have the option of declining.