• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels' Huston Street says bullpen usage revolution is neither imminent nor sustainable

the timing of that article was ironic.

I agree with the way the pen and pitchers are used / were used in the post-season.......can you do that for a full season? No, because you are adjusting for a 5 game or 7 game series. (also, if you did this during the regular season, all the 'Pace of the Game' recommendations ,if adopted, could never make up for the extra 45 minutes per game for pitching changes -- as the average number of pitchers used was about five per game)

But I have long been of the opinion you can mix and match more in your bullpen and not use the same formula every game. This guy is the pre- set up, this guy is the set up, this guy is the closer........

Bruce Bochy did this somewhat in San Diego and even more so when he had better bullpen pitcher in SF..........when you mix and match it up, it keeps the other side off balance a bit..........they won't always know what's now only happening next but what's going to happen in the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th inning.....the opposing manager can save his PH for a specific match up late in the game or whatever.......if you switch things up, you keep the other side guessing - that's where i think you want them.

And, I think you can do this without overusing your pitching staff........

and to respond to a prior post,,,,,,,yeah, I remember when Mike Marshall (the relief pitcher not the former lanky first baseman of the same name) pitched in an incredible number of games two seasons back to back -- something like 86 one year and more than 100 the next............we won't ever see that again, just like we no longer see a rotation guy pitching 300 innings with 30 plus complete games -- go back and look at games started (four man rotations) IP and Complete Game stats for players like Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale, Steve Carlton, Robin Roberts, Wilbur Wood........those days are long gone.