• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official World Baseball Classic Thread

m0nkey

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

A lot more entertaining than a meaningless ST game. 

If the Dominicans lose ... do they play the Americans in a tie breaker?

Yeah, it just hit me why I like the WBC. We get to see meaningful games a month earlier.

I dont know how the tiebreaker works. Just heard an announcer say that runs scored can figure into it.

Frieri was a great deal for us all around -- you may recall we got him from San Diego for not much (can't remember who we gave up - I think another ineffective reliever) and at the time we obtained him from the Padres -- he had had about six straight bad relief appearances to the point, the Padres manager (was it Bud Black at the time? might have been) lost faith in using him. Freiri was never the closer or even the primary set up in San Diego, he was a pen depth guy and he fell out of favor in that role.

Get dealt to the Angels and spent what? about two seasons with us? Maybe two plus.  He was effective in relief and suddenly when others went down with injuries or just plain ineffectiveness, became the Halos closer and held that role for about a season and a half........had 30 plus saves or whatever it was that one season.....

And, again, we got him for not much.  He easily exceeded the low to no expectations Halos had for him,

And then, just as quickly as he rose to be the Halos closer (I think he may have even made the All Star team??) some switch clicked to the OFF position and he started getting rocked to the point that he was no longer a reliable closer, couldn't do much in the set up role after being replaced as the closer and then was pretty much back to where he was when we got him from the Padres -- having a sucession of ineffective relief appearances - some of them in mop up roles...

I think we traded him to Pittsburgh (right?) and got a well traveled vet relief guy who actually pitched well for us the rest of the year and I'm not sure if we kept him for the next season or not -- but that guy -- having lost favor with the Pirates, pitched well enough to interest teams during the off season.

Frieri and others could easily get deals from MLB teams based on their WBC performances.

Which reminds me -- why isn't OF Angel Pagan (last few seasons with SF Giants,-injury riddled and before that the NY Mets) signed by some team. He's playing for Puerto Rico in the WBC.........

if I were an MLB team playing a star player millions over multiple years -- i wouldn't want them anywhere near the WBC.

cant' blame the MLB team owners.......

Salvador Perez  went down with an injury (reports today are that it's not as serious as it may have been first thought) being run into by the KC Royals back up catcher -- Am sure KC front office cringes at this.  Four years ago, an already injury plagued Angel Pagan got hurt in the WBC and missed a lot of playing time for the SF GIants. Oh, and that Angel Pagan guy?  the SF Giants somehow played .600 ball when he was in the line up and closer to .450 ball when he wasn't.

Vladdy -- I think there's that runs scored tie-breaker analysis -- however that works --

and then if things are still tied between at least two of the teams -- there's a tiebreaker game on Monday and perhaps if three teams tied some sort of round robin playoff -- all on Monday.

If US cannot beat Canada, perhaps USA should just come home........I don't think MLB team owners would mind at all.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

if I were an MLB team playing a star player millions over multiple years -- i wouldn't want them anywhere near the WBC.

cant' blame the MLB team owners.......

Salvador Perez  went down with an injury (reports today are that it's not as serious as it may have been first thought) being run into by the KC Royals back up catcher -- Am sure KC front office cringes at this.  Four years ago, an already injury plagued Angel Pagan got hurt in the WBC and missed a lot of playing time for the SF GIants. Oh, and that Angel Pagan guy?  the SF Giants somehow played .600 ball when he was in the line up and closer to .450 ball when he wasn't.

Oh who cares, it's baseball. These guys get hurt getting out of bed in the offseason or pull a muscle doing their first stretches of spring training.