• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: #41 – Jan. 11, 2004: Angels sign Vladimir Guerrero – Top-50 Greatest Moments in Angels Baseball

AngelsWin.com

vlad

It’s rare that a sports event that occurs away from the field of play would make any sort of top “anything” list. The vast majority of the moments highlighted on our list took place on the baseball diamond, because those are the moments that are most celebrated and seldom forgotten by fans.

However, on Jan. 11, 2004, when ESPN Radio affiliate KSPN’s update man Dave Denholm announced that the Anaheim Angels had reached an agreement on a five-year contract with free-agent slugger Vladimir Guerrero, it incited a reaction from fans on par with a postseason series victory.

It had been expected that the Montreal Expos’ four-time All-Star right fielder would sign with the Mets, Dodgers or Orioles. There hadn’t been a whisper that the Angels were even interested in the National League’s best kept secret.

As the story goes, then Angels General Manager Bill Stoneman made a call to Guerrero’s agent, Arn Tellem, to inquire about Rafael Palmeiro.

“How about Vlad?,” the agent responded.

Stoneman, surprised that Guerrero was interested in the Angels, approached Angels owner Arte Moreno with the idea. Three days later, Moreno had a new face for the franchise he’d acquired just eight months earlier..

Though he’d already gained credibility among fans by making other waves during the off-season with the signings of Jose Guillen, Kelvim Escobar and Bartolo Colon, Moreno removed any doubt that he truly meant business with the Guerrero signing.

And what a signing it was. Guerrero won the American League MVP award in 2004, carrying the Angels on his back down the stretch to their first division title in eighteen years. In his four years with the Angels, the quiet superstar has averaged a remarkable .327 batting average, 33 homeruns and 119 RBI per season while the Angels have won three division titles.

630156 b.gif?host=thesportsdaily.com&blog=11432

View the full article

One of the best offseason evenings that I can ever remember. 

I remember getting a call from @Mrinsider saying that we signed Vlad. I was in the jacuzzi drinking wine when he called and I couldn't believe it so I dried off and ran to the computer room to get online and verify that it was true. 

Everyone expected the Dodgers or Orioles to sign him and we were never mentioned. What a terrific offseason that was. 

9 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I clearly remember logging onto my computer that evening and seeing the news. I recall the news broke late at night. Definitely one of the most exciting moments of this franchise's history.

Yeah, I believe it was on a Saturday or Sunday evening. Totally unexpected.

What a pleasant surprise that was, much like the Pujols & C.J. Wilson signings.

When I heard that the Angels had signed Vlad I just couldn't believe it and then it hit me that the Angels were going to be getting one of the best players in the league. The Angels hadn't even been mentioned as a team that was interested in Vlad so the signing was a big surprise to most.

Vlad's signing is one of the best moves in franchise history and it was a lot of fun watching him play for the Angels.

1 minute ago, Angels#1Fan said:

When I heard that the Angels had signed Vlad I just couldn't believe it and then it hit me that the Angels were going to be getting one of the best players in the league. The Angels hadn't even been mentioned as a team that was interested in Vlad so the signing was a big surprise to most.

Vlad's signing is one of the best moves in franchise history and it was a lot of fun watching him play for the Angels.

I agree. 

Can you imagine if we had Vlad and Trout on the same team, both in their prime years. 

Two of the most exciting players to watch (besides Nolan Ryan) in Angels history. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree. 

Can you imagine if we had Vlad and Trout on the same team, both in their prime years. 

Two of the most exciting players to watch (besides Nolan Ryan) in Angels history. 

That would be pretty good with Trout in center and Vlad in right.

Ryan was definitely the most exciting Angel player. Every time he took the mound it seemed like something special might happen.

Vlad was a special guy and it was exciting to watch him play, we were fortunate to have him play for us.

3 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

That would be pretty good with Trout in center and Vlad in right.

Ryan was definitely the most exciting Angel player. Every time he took the mound it seemed like something special might happen.

Vlad was a special guy and it was exciting to watch him play, we were fortunate to have him play for us.

There is plenty of Nolan Ryan coming soon in our Top-50 Greatest Moments feature. I believe he's in 3-4 great moments soon to be posted.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

There is plenty of Nolan Ryan coming soon in our Top-50 Greatest Moments feature. I believe he's in 3-4 great moments soon to be posted.

Great, I'll be looking forward to reading it.

When the Angels traded Fregosi for Ryan it was tough for me in the beginning because Fregosi was my childhood hero, but it didn't take long for Ryan to win me over. Ryan became a beast as an Angel..it was a real shame when he was allowed to leave.

8 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Great, I'll be looking forward to reading it.

When the Angels traded Fregosi for Ryan it was tough for me in the beginning because Fregosi was my childhood hero, but it didn't take long for Ryan to win me over. Ryan became a beast as an Angel..it was a real shame when he was allowed to leave.

Yep. Besides the 1986 Championship FAIL, this was the second worst thing that happened to the organization IMO.