• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Sign Austin Adams, DFA Guerra

Amazing Larry

It's a good move. Adams has always been good in the minors and has had some success in the majors. More importantly, he has the stuff to back up any success and perhaps project greater success in the future.

Guerra was surprisingly good last year. But his velocity never rebounded like we thought it would. Earlier in his career he was reaching back and firing 94+. Now, he's much softer but with more success. It's just hard to project any sort of success for him based on the arsenal.

I would've preferred they kept Guerra, because there could be something to his success last year in not seeing. I would've got rid of Daniel Wright.

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

It's a good move. Adams has always been good in the minors and has had some success in the majors. More importantly, he has the stuff to back up any success and perhaps project greater success in the future.

Guerra was surprisingly good last year. But his velocity never rebounded like we thought it would. Earlier in his career he was reaching back and firing 94+. Now, he's much softer but with more success. It's just hard to project any sort of success for him based on the arsenal.

I would've preferred they kept Guerra, because there could be something to his success last year in not seeing. I would've got rid of Daniel Wright.

Thanks for reminding me I just forgot Daniel Wright in my spring training preview story while listing the 36 starter candidates. 

5 hours ago, Tank said:

glad guerra is still with the club but this whole process has been bizarre.

while there's a positive to having a pitching able to throw 96 mph, what difference does it make if he can't get hitters out? weird move.

Our pen needs cheap k's, we're thin on power arms, and Adams' upside is greater than Guerra's. Since both are out of options, neither have the best odds at making the club, or sticking through the season. Makes sense to take that risk with an arm that has more potential.

Deolis Guerra has accepted his outright assignment to Triple-A Salt Lake.

Guerra had the option of testing free agency after the Angels pushed him off their 40-man roster on Wednesday, but he has decided to remain in camp as a non-roster invitee. The 27-year-old right-hander posted a cool 3.21 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and 36/7 K/BB ratio in 53 1/3 innings with Anaheim last season.

57 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

So what we are saying is that this was a solid move by Eppler.  We get two arms instead of one.

And in a way, created an extra spot on the 40-man. I know Adams tools Guerra's place, but if he flops no one will be too upset about his DFA.

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

Our pen needs cheap k's, we're thin on power arms, and Adams' upside is greater than Guerra's. Since both are out of options, neither have the best odds at making the club, or sticking through the season. Makes sense to take that risk with an arm that has more potential.

my issue is that a guy who was solid in the pen and had an era of 3+ has been demoted for a guy who's older and had an era over 8. i don't care that adams can strike out more people, especially not if he's giving up more than twice as many runs as guerra.

28 minutes ago, Tank said:

my issue is that a guy who was solid in the pen and had an era of 3+ has been demoted for a guy who's older and had an era over 8. i don't care that adams can strike out more people, especially not if he's giving up more than twice as many runs as guerra.

And a year ago, it would have been the other way around - Guerra had an ERA of 6.50 and Adams an ERA of 3+.

Guerra was solid but there's a good chance he was due to regress quite a bit, and his arsenal both isn't very special, nor different from what we already have. Case in point, no one claimed him, nor did anyone seem to show much interest in him to cause him to opt for free agency. 

Adams has a much more consistent track record in the minors and offers a bit more upside.

Neither will likely be more than a fresh arm that comes up after some long games to spell the pen, only to be DFAed off afterwards, like Achter last year. If either pitched well enough to make the pen as an out of options reliever, then Adams would still offer more upside. 

Either way, glad we kept Guerra in camp. He's a good arm to have in SLC. Depth! Given that guys like Henderson, Hunter, and Hernandez are signing MILB deals, they probably felt it was a good time to try and get Guerra through waivers and felt good about retaining him on a minors deal.

Remember we're going to send at least 2 guys to the 60 Day DL at the end of ST, so there will be spots available on the 40 man roster. Campos might be going there too, and Pujols if he's not progressing, but I doubt the last one.

12 hours ago, Hubs said:

Remember we're going to send at least 2 guys to the 60 Day DL at the end of ST, so there will be spots available on the 40 man roster. Campos might be going there too, and Pujols if he's not progressing, but I doubt the last one.

Heaney, Tropeano and John Lamb are definitely going on the 60-day DL. So that's 3 open spots.

I'd say Petit, Norris and DGuerra are the most likely NRI's to make the team, at this point. 

Of course, they haven't even had a full squad workout, so take that with a huge grain of salt.