• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the upcoming Angels season?

Chuck

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the upcoming 2017 season?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Vote below!

.500 +/- a few games.

While I am optimistic about the direction, and long term, the question was about this season. I do not feel that we are free falling any more, but I hardly think the ship has been righted. Pitching is such an unknown right now. I will never be comfortable about GR ever again. Any time he makes a face, I am going to think "should have had the surgery". Bullpen is a big question mark. Offense is slightly improved over last season, but still prone to slumps. Trout plays all out, and is due for an injury. If that happens, this team will fold like a house of cards. Defense is as strong as it's ever been, as is bench depth.

84-78

6 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

.500 +/- a few games.

While I am optimistic about the direction, and long term, the question was about this season. I do not feel that we are free falling any more, but I hardly think the ship has been righted. Pitching is such an unknown right now. I will never be comfortable about GR ever again. Any time he makes a face, I am going to think "should have had the surgery". Bullpen is a big question mark. Offense is slightly improved over last season, but still prone to slumps. Trout plays all out, and is due for an injury. If that happens, this team will fold like a house of cards. Defense is as strong as it's ever been, as is bench depth.

84-78

your post is fine in meaning, but the suggestion that trout is due for an injury is representative of the gambler's fallacy. there is no such thing as "due".

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

your post is fine in meaning, but the suggestion that trout is due for an injury is representative of the gambler's fallacy. there is no such thing as "due".

I say that every year about Eli Manning............

I'm optimistic.The team is better than it was last year, with a much higher floor and a slightly higher ceiling. The most important players are Trout (as always), Richards, and Skaggs. If those guys are healthy--and assuming normal degrees of injury for the team as a whole--this team could win 90 games.

1 hour ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I can just imagine that you've been chomping at the bit to use that word to describe someone else, haven't you?:)

The whole thing was just so stupid. I just wanted to say it in a lighthearted way that no one would take serious.

I would be more optimistic if Garrett Richards wasn't coming off of an arm injury thats been treated with such a new procedure. I can't help but wonder if he will even make it out of spring training and if he does just how many effective innings can he pitch.

The other question mark I have is Skaggs. He was slow to come back after TJ surgery and the question is will he be able to pitch enough quality innings.

The pitching is very thin when considering the bullpen which at this point doesn't look all that great. I do think Street will make a comeback and show that last years poor performance was due to injuries, however I don't expect him to be the same as he was just two years ago either.

I'm very cautious about this season based on the quality of the entire pitching staff.

I am optimistic by nature.  This is what I think I know.  Two years ago this team had an average offense, a bad bench, a bad defense and a bad pitching staff as well as didn't really have a lot of guys that could run the bases.  We now have an offense that should be better than league average, an elite defense, an improved bench, good base running, and a bad pitching staff, but with quite a few options.  The team is much more athletic than last years team.  If they spent money to improve the pen or if they could get the Cron equivalent to a reliever for Cron, this is a team that could make the playoffs.  

I'm cautiously optimistic that we will have improved FIPS, PECOTA, dWAR, oWAR, zWAR, UZR, wOBA and ERA+ numbers. Not sure about OPS+, SLG or wRC+, due to the SRA- (salary regression algorithm, with market size factored in) employed by A.R.T.E. to increase his AGI (adjusted gross income)

Making the playoffs is secondary to all that, of course.

I'm also a optimist, but I voted pessimistic.  

The reason?  

Our offense appears worse than last year, to me.  Its going to be the Mike Trout Show again, but with very little support.

Our pitching is a huge question mark with a large number of 4th and 5th starters.  There's a lot of sorting out to do to figure who's good and who sucks, and that takes time especially with Fat Man In A Little Coat pulling the strings.  

The stellar defense will help but it won't be nearly enough for a playoff push.  

Crossing fingers I'm dead wrong. 

With that said, I think we're on the right track of rebuilding and I fully support Eppler's vision.  

Go Halos!

21 minutes ago, Dreams said:

I'm also a optimist, but I voted pessimistic.  

The reason?  

Our offense appears worse than last year, to me.  Its going to be the Mike Trout Show again, but with very little support.

Our pitching is a huge question mark with a large number of 4th and 5th starters.  There's a lot of sorting out to do to figure who's good and who sucks, and that takes time especially with Fat Man In A Little Coat pulling the strings.  

The stellar defense will help but it won't be nearly enough for a playoff push.  

Crossing fingers I'm dead wrong. 

With that said, I think we're on the right track of rebuilding and I fully support Eppler's vision.  

Go Halos!

For the life of me I can't understand the opinion of us having a worse offense.  We upgraded in left field and have a deeper bench.  I mean I guess you could say losing Bandy is a downgrade.  I think this offense is considerably better than last year because of the additions of Maybin and Valbuena and hopefully a healthy Revere returning to form.