• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Has this been the quietest Angels offseason of all-time?

Chuck

I know Eppler has made some moves, but most of them have been minor to medium, improving the depth and filling two holes at 2B & LF. That said, I cannot remember another offseason that has been this quiet from the Angels.

It seems like it has been eternity from the end of the season until now, and we still have a couple weeks until pitchers & catchers report. 

Zzzzz

There have been 38 transactions since the 3rd of November but you are ight, most have been minor to medium in news worthiness. But we did fill left field with Maybin, 2nd base with Espinoza, added a quality outfield backup in Revere and infield help with Valbuena. When you think about it those are four quality players that will impact the 25 man roster. Not a bad job by Eppler.

1992 was kind of like this a couple trades that were suppose to help.It was kind of slow overall... Eppler has brought in some solid players overall even though some of them may seem minor league or depth....Those were kind of large additions for the time... Gone Dayes and Hubbie Brooks and re-signed our own FA's in Bert Blyleven and Schofield.... Then dealt Schofield to the Mets for Julio Valera.....

Overall, acquisitions are better as we've increased the depth overall with talent and at the very least made ourselves a very good defensive ballclub

Where we are, in terms of farm system and recent team performance, I think this offseason has been perfect.  It's not over, we'll see if any other last minute moves are made, but what Eppler did was not take away anything from the farm, add some interesting waiver claims, addressed the glaring holes on the major league roster, and did all this at marginal costs, most of the one year variety.  The only adds over one year were the 2+1 for Valbuena and the acquisition of Maldonado who is still in arbitration years.  The extension of Calhoun has locked down RF for years.  This was an offseason of moves made to contend, but moves that allow us to shift track midseason if the major league isn't performing without much detriment.  I would expect a busy trade season if the team isn't performing.  Either we are winning or hopefully getting back useful pieces for the future by possibly trading Escobar, Espinoza, Maybin, Revere, Chavez, and maybe more depending on other moves. 

I believe next offseason will see a lot of action, with a better FA class, another year of high draft picks for the system, and a lot of money coming off the books.  In addition, we will at a minimum need to address 2B, 3B (?), LF, bullpen, and possibly catcher. 

While we did not pick up any big name free agents or trade for any impact players,  I think this has been almost a perfect off season.  If we get an arm or two for the pen it will be pretty close to perfect.  

If you think about it, it is very similar to last years off-season, just with better names.  Last year we got Nava and Gentry as a platoon for left field and signed Pennington.  This year we traded for Maybin, signed Revere and signed Valbuena.  

Based on short term needs and long term potential repercussions this has been the best off-season in a very long time.    None of us has any clue if anything will work out -- but we can't really point to any one move and think to ourselves that it might come back to bite us in the ass.

Would still like to see some certainty added to the pen, but overall I'm pretty content with how Epp went about his business.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know Eppler has made some moves, but most of them have been minor to medium, improving the depth and filling two holes at 2B & LF. That said, I cannot remember another offseason that has been this quiet from the Angels.

It seems like it has been eternity from the end of the season until now, and we still have a couple weeks until pitchers & catchers report. 

Zzzzz

We didn't win the offseason!!!!    

Prolly a good thing.

The quietest off-season in my memory was the one where we signed Joe Smith and that's it. 

There was also the time Reagins whiffed on Carl Crawford and Adrian Beltre and traded for Wells. It was pretty quiet other than that.

And then of course there was last offseason where the only major move was the Simmons deal.

This has been a great offseason. We've improved in every facet while not hampering the long term spending ability of the organization. Eppler had a freakin' darn near impossible task in front of him, to build a winner without money or a farm system, all the whole being sandwiched between a meddlesome owner and too powerful of a coach.

But somehow, he's managed to build a team that has a legitimate chance within those parameters.

A+ job.

A lot of fans Seen to be upset that the Tigers traded Maybin so I guess he has the potential to be really good for us. This offseason hasn't been too quiet in my opinion. I think Epplers done a good job considering that Arte doesn't really want to spend a lot of money ever again seemingly. I hope he is not done though and gets us a SP or at least some bullpen help. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we can somehow land Wieters, that's another black hole offensively that will be improved, though I know it will come with a hefty price tag. 

I can't find anything about his salary expectations.  What I have seen are concerns that he is over the hill and injury prone.   Supposedly,  the Nationals, Braves, Rays, Brewers, Reds, Orioles, and Angels have expressed some level of interest.  If the Rays, Brewers, and Reds are in the hunt, it must mean he's getting short-term low ball offers.

I'm guessing that the Angels would take him on the cheap, but how cheap?   Would they offer him $10 million for one season?  That seems very generous to me after TJ surgery and a .243 average.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

While we did not pick up any big name free agents or trade for any impact players,  I think this has been almost a perfect off season.  If we get an arm or two for the pen it will be pretty close to perfect.  

If you think about it, it is very similar to last years off-season, just with better names.  Last year we got Nava and Gentry as a platoon for left field and signed Pennington.  This year we traded for Maybin, signed Revere and signed Valbuena.  

Agreed. Aside from hanilton in 13, which led to a bunch of excitement (big name), we really havent had a busy offseason in years. I think ibanez was the last "big name" we brought over. Otherwise youd have to look at mives like the escobar and joyce trades. Nothing really big.

Edit:forgot about simmons, thanks for reminding me scotty.

15 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I dunno, it would seem like it on paper, but I don't remember it being so long and boring. 

Yeah, I think it is mainly psychological - it really feels excruciating.

For me, though, I'm a huge tennis and Roger Federer fan, so am riding on the wave of his victory at the Australian Open.

I know, I know - tennis almost as euro-gay as soccer.