• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Thoughts?

After the announcement today by Dean Spanos that the Chargers are coming to LA....... Would Arte' jump at the chance of a new stadium partnership at the Great Park area in Irvine? I know the Chargers have spoken about moving into the Rams new stadium. Which I believe is stupid on their side as they would be a step sister to the Rams and paying them for use.... I don't even want to get into the part of sharing concessions, parking, Memorabilia sales etc... However, I think there could be some communication there that could/would work for both parties and the City of Irvine as a Angels/Chargers Combo stadium....

Thoughts?

I just think it is stupid for the Chargers to be co-tenants with the Rams in the Rams stadium.... Same as if the Raiders would have shared with the Rams..... It won't work and eventually the Chargers will be up for relocation, sale or eventual contraction..

Enjoy watching them at a soccer facility until 2018-2019.....!!! That brings up another can of worms.... 25K half the seating than SD..... What is the minimum amount of ticket sales the NFL and TV require for Regional broadcasts????.... 25K won't do it! When other teams sell 35k and get bounced from regionally broadcast games and blacked out.

I really don't like the idea of baseball and football coexisting on the same playing field. Many times when football/baseball stadiums are built they end up with very odd dimensions (especially for the baseball teams). Also, when their seasons overlap, football games often leave the stadium turf in very poor playing condition for baseball teams. But, maybe that's just me. Back in the day, I was never a fan of the Rams playing at Angel Stadium.

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Angels/Chargers Combo stadium....

Combo stadiums are the worst place to play baseball or football. The outfield is chewed up for baseball and football players end up playing on the infield dirt. The Angels could never fill 100,000 seats and it is just a bad idea. 2 separate stadiums with a shared parking lot is OK but it is just way too expensive. Never going to happen.

2 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I just think it is stupid for the Chargers to be co-tenants with the Rams in the Rams stadium.... Same as if the Raiders would have shared with the Rams..... It won't work and eventually the Chargers will be up for relocation, sale or eventual contraction..

They are going to be paying a dollar rent at the new Rams palace.  One dollar.

Do you know what kind of joy that brings to a billionaire, to pay a dollar rent?

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

After the announcement today by Dean Spanos that the Chargers are coming to LA....... Would Arte' jump at the chance of a new stadium partnership at the Great Park area in Irvine? I know the Chargers have spoken about moving into the Rams new stadium. Which I believe is stupid on their side as they would be a step sister to the Rams and paying them for use.... I don't even want to get into the part of sharing concessions, parking, Memorabilia sales etc... However, I think there could be some communication there that could/would work for both parties and the City of Irvine as a Angels/Chargers Combo stadium....

Thoughts?

It won't happen. The Chargers are getting a sweet deal to play in Inglewood. Rent is $1 a year for 99 years. It's basically like they own the stadium from a revenue standpoint because they get to keep all game day revenue. Obviously, they don't get to sell the stadium like if they owned it, but they also don't have to front $1 billion either.

Also, am I missing all the die hard Rams fans? It doesn't seem to me like the Rams have really captured the market. I could make a very compelling case that this is a nightmare scenario for the Rams.

2 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Enjoy watching them at a soccer facility until 2018-2019.....!!! That brings up another can of worms.... 25K half the seating than SD..... What is the minimum amount of ticket sales the NFL and TV require for Regional broadcasts????.... 25K won't do it! When other teams sell 35k and get bounced from regionally broadcast games and blacked out.

Pretty much every bit of this is wrong.

There is no minimum ticket sales required for regional broadcasts.

The NFL blackout rules were eliminated years ago.

I think you are making stuff up.

However, I think there could be some communication there that could/would work for both parties and the City of Irvine as a Angels/Chargers Combo stadium....

Thoughts?

You mean the thing where the football team plays games in september with a dirt skin where the infield is?

You mean the thing where the baseball outfield has traces of the yard lines from football?

Is this post a ghost from 1978?

5 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I never understood posts like this.  

One team out of around 32 gets to hoist a championship trophy a year.

The dodgers and clips are chokers?  Really?  Seems to me they have successful regular seasons, then lose in the post season.  Like all but one team.

Beware: not to be taken seriously 

12 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Name a better alternative for the Chargers in Los Angeles.

How would the Coliseum field fare from 3 teams using it?   It happened regularly from 1946-1979 (Rams, USC, UCLA).

The Rose Bowl is a logistical nightmare, as it is, for UCLA.   Imagine having at least ten NFL games there as well.

Black out policies are gone as YK pointed out. But even if they weren't it was based on a % of tickets sold and not a hard number. Chargers will have no problem selling out 30k seats at Stub Hub.

Also it's not a disaster from a revenue standpoint either. Teams only get to keep 20-25% (I forget the exact number, but I think it's 20) of their ticket sales. The rest goes to the NFL and is distributed evenly among the teams. The Chargers have very little incentive to sell more tickets. Let's say the Chargers would avg 60k fans if they had stayed in SD or played in the Rosebowl or Coliseum. Assuming every ticket is the same price they would lose 50% of 20% of the revenue they get to keep, or 10% of what they could expect to make. But that's assuming that the prices of all the tickets are equal. In a 30k seat stadium all the tickets are close to the field and presumably more expensive. The cheaper seats are the ones that have been eliminated. Also, if the demand is 60k for 90k tickets the price is going to be lower than if it's 60k for 30k tickets. I think an 8% loss in gate revenue for the next two seasons is reasonable and maybe even high.

Finally, the optics of playing in front of a 2/3 full stadium isn't great. I think they're better off selling out a small stadium at first.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

so are the chargers really going to play at stub hub center in the meantime? that seems like a really, REALLY terrible idea.

As an Eagles fan, I am thrilled to be able to see the team in such a small venue next season. My family live in Carson, so don't have to worry about parking as well.

I guess you guys get so wrapped up in the Angels that you don't follow other sports.

The Rose Bowl is a nonstarter.  Pasadena said a year ago they won't allow it.

The two baseball stadiums are a no go.

That leaves the Coliseum or Stubhub.  The Chargers would be third wheel, and if they don't sell tickets, would look foolish in the cavernous Coliseum.

I think Stubhub is a stroke of genius in an otherwise idiotic move to LA.  I've been to sold out soccer games there.  The place rocks.  It would be an intimate atmosphere that has a real possibility to have a real home field advantage.  And having to sell only 30k tickets takes the pressure off the Chargers.  And makes tickets scarce and can drum up interest.

Thoughts?

Outside of the craptastic Oakland situation where all parties want to evac, even if they become a sole tennant.  Is there any NFL/MLB combo stadiums anymore?

51 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Pretty much every bit of this is wrong.

There is no minimum ticket sales required for regional broadcasts.

The NFL blackout rules were eliminated years ago.

I think you are making stuff up.

What's going to be worse for the LA market, is we will be stuck with Rams and Chargers games as 2 of the 3 games on tv.  At least when we didn't have a team, there was a chance at having some good football to watch.