• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is Las Vegas a dump?

6 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I liked it better in the 70's and 80's...I lived there for about a year in the late 80's and it really started to grow and change drastically. I barely recognize it now. Downtown has improved though from what it once was..

You've literally lived everywhere, and I don't think I am exaggerating. 

Just now, Stradling said:

You've literally lived everywhere, and I don't think I am exaggerating. 

I worked for a few different airlines during the turbulent years of deregulation (Thanks, Reagan) and I traveled and moved around before I embarked on that career...in fact I went to work for the airlines BECAUSE I had traveled so much.

It got to the point where I knew more than the people in reservations and at the ticket counters. 

vegas is a novelty. it's kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. 

the last time i was there my family was with me. we headed over to excaliber on saturday night hoping to catch their medieval times-type show. it was sold out so we went back outside to catch a cab back to our hotel. i've never seen so many women dressed up for hitting the town as i did that night. i've also never seen so many skanks as were out on the prowl that night. and nearly every single girl was with a group and each of them had a drink in their hands as they waited for their car/taxi. kept thinking that a single guy on the hunt would have had a pretty darn good time that night as his long as his standards were pretty low.

I think like most things it's what you make of it.  From the age of about 21-30 I went 30+ times.  Some people love to hit up the pool during the day and a club at night while I couldn't care less about either but I went because that's what friends wanted to do.  I didn't go for about 2 years and realized I didn't miss it then we had a chance to go out and stay with a buddy for free while we drank, gambled and just hung out.  That's more my speed these days and now I go about once a year to watch football and meet up with a friend who meets us there on his way in from Arizona.  On one of my last trips I was walking back on the strip from a show around midnight and seeing who was out I just knew it wasn't for me as it felt like a mix between some IE county fair and Sharky's.  Since I've been old enough to legally drink there it's kind of always been like that it's just now I'm older and don't want to be around that.   

3 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

I worked for a few different airlines during the turbulent years of deregulation (Thanks, Reagan) and I traveled and moved around before I embarked on that career...in fact I went to work for the airlines BECAUSE I had traveled so much.

It got to the point where I knew more than the people in reservations and at the ticket counters. 

I expected you to say that you had been a roadie for Johnny Cash. 

vegas is a good place to go if you like to gamble, drink, or pick up strange women/men.

none of those things appeal to me, so i don't really care about it as a place i want to visit. i'm 56 and i think i've been to vegas four times in my life, and three of those times were to present gospel concerts at area churches.

Vegas is what you make out of it. If you want sun at the pool and nightlife it's fine. I like to gamble and have fun but my biggest complaint is the amount of smoking that's the biggest negative. That and some people shouldn't  gamble like play 21 if they don't know what they are doing they really can f*ck up other peoples chances.

Having come here for years as a tourist and having lived here for the last 19 years, I have an opinion or two to offer. As far as the Strip goes, I prefer the Strip of the 1980s to what is there today. The huge megaresorts have killed most of my desire to even go down there, unless I am going for a specific purpose (concert, medical presentation, etc.). I always preferred Fremont Street as a tourist (the Plaza was generally my base here). The resorts are smaller and more personal, they are closer together, and you actually got to know some of the staff and they knew you. That doesn't happen when the hotel has 7,000 rooms.

As with most cities, there are good and bad areas. People who never leave the Strip don't know half what they believe that they know about the city and the surrounding area. We have schizophrenics begging on street corners in the same city where the Sultan of Brunei owns a home. If you like entertainment, be it music, comedy or production shows, nowhere tops it. Odds are anyone who you want to see will eventually pass through here. Five star restaurants abound, as do a lot of great local places that are more moderately priced. There also aren't many places where you can win enough while you're waiting in line to pay for dinner. The one deficiency in the city's entertainment portfolio - professional sports - is about to be rectified. There isn't another city in the country that is better prepared to host big events, and a wide variety of them, be it NASCAR, the National Finals Rodeo, CES or the Electric Daisy Carnival (which seems to have found a permanent home at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, after several cities who hosted it said that they never wanted it back). This has also become a regional hub for college basketball conference tournaments - four at last count, I believe.

We have 300 sunny days a year, and pretty much an unbeatable climate. The old joke is that "it's a dry heat", but honestly, anything 105 or under isn't uncomfortable with 5-15 percent humidity. If you want snow, a 30-minute drive to Mount Charleston or the Lee Canyon ski area will fix you right up. You are also within a day's drive or less of several national parks and major western cities.

The general attitude is live and let live. If someone is judging you, odds are that they aren't local. That is one reason that the group from Sister Wives moved here - because they would be left alone and people really don't care about their personal business.

No state income tax, and some of the country's lowest business taxes.

Medical care here is lacking. Local hospitals don't have a great reputation overall, and for top medical care most people go to California. The establishment of a medical school at UNLV, which is soon to open, may help to change that, as may the arrival of providers like the Cleveland Clinic.

As far as the gambling angle of it, I don't do much at this point. When you have to get all of your gambling in during a 2-3 day period, your attitude is different than when you can go any time 24/7.

8 minutes ago, notherhalo said:

Will Excalibur still be up in ten years from now?

We're always blowing things up, so who knows? I figured that Circus Circus would be the next to go. It looked tired 20 years ago. The fact that it seems to be a favorite of families and the RV crowd may keep it going, though.