• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A Hypothetical Case for Matt Wieters

Wieters career wRC+ is 97 whereas the League wide catching wRC+ in 2016 was 87, so he is, generally speaking on average, better offensively than a lot of his counterparts. That being said you also have to compare him to whom he is replacing, in this case Carlos Perez, who has a career wRC+ of 67.

So moving from Wieters to Perez is a very significant upgrade in offense. Defensively the two are somewhat similar based on FanGraphs 'DEF' metrics and of course pitch framing enters the equation too (both are about average pitch framers). The real questions are is the differences in offense and defense enough to justify trying to sign Wieters and the second question is what price would Wieters cost the Angels in dollars (the opportunity cost).

Personally, as much as I like Perez and the potential he still holds, Wieters would make the team better for 2017. The question is does that matter enough for the Angels front office? Also the terms and length of his contract also are important.

I think the Angels are definitely interested. Wieters is exactly the type of player Eppler likes to reclimate and take chances on particularly with Matt's background as a top pick and the potential he had and still might have but we just haven't seen due to the injuries he's experienced in the last couple of years.

It's pretty damn crazy that a solid offensive and defensive catcher who is entering his age 31 season and is a 4 time all star and 2 time GG winner doesn't have a job as of yet.  

Our payroll is damn near $170 mil.  More than I would have expected.  I really don't see us flirting with $180.  

Boras used to be able to make up shit and front offices that had no real stat analysis in their room would be wowed by the charts and numbers, buying what Scott was selling only to find out later that never related to on field performance. 

That is why Wieters is still on the market. Teams know what he is worth and are not interested in buying well above the players baseline value. 

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He really isn't that much better than what we've got. He's an upgrade over Perez but at the cost I'm going to say pass on this one. I could see his bat turning all Joycey in Anaheim. 

It really is hard to justify the added expense for what would amount to very little gain unless Wieters reverted to his 2011/2012 form.  So that's not happening.  

seems to make more sense for a team like the Rockies or Braves.  

23 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Would you consider trading for Norris (assuming he is cheap) if they move him after signing Wieters?  He was pretty good until last year....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/nationals-nearing-deal-with-matt-wieters.html

Weird. Nats just acquired Norris in mid December. I guess Weiters was too good to pass up at 1/10 with a player option for 11m in 2018

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Nationals had been the speculated landing spot for free-agent catcher Matt Wieters this offseason, and the two sides reached a deal on Tuesday, according to the Washington Post.

The club has not confirmed the deal, which is reportedly a two-year, $21 million contract with an option after the first season. Wieters would get $10 million in 2017 and $11 million if he returns in '18.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

On the Derek Norris subject, after going to SD for the 2015 season, he started falling off from his Oakland production (.709 OPS vs .755 OPS in his Oakland years), and then fell off of a cliff in 2016 (sub .600 OPS with a sub .200 BA, although hitting 14 HRs).     

Maybe getting back in the AL West would do him some good....:dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon: