• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jason Hammel anyone?

Hufflepuff

I still feel quite strongly the Angels will pick up one more starter or one more reliever (and possibly both). They do have about $17M left in AAV space so expending about $10M of that amount is still possible in my opinion.

12 hours ago, ettin said:

I still feel quite strongly the Angels will pick up one more starter or one more reliever (and possibly both). They do have about $17M left in AAV space so expending about $10M of that amount is still possible in my opinion.

Unless you want to hold it until the trade deadline in July....wait and see if we're in contention and have money available to pick somebody up at that point..

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Unless you want to hold it until the trade deadline in July....wait and see if we're in contention and have money available to pick somebody up at that point..

Going to be a very interesting trade deadline. I think even under the best of circumstances, it will be difficult for this team to be handily running away with the division come July. We still won't have much on the farm to utilize in a trade as a buyer - we could potentially have some salary to play with. We have multiple areas of need long-term going into next offseason, and we have numerous players who will be headed into FA.

Going to be a very tough call for Eppler if the team is  7-8 GB in either the WC or division race, which I think will be likely. Personally, I think in that position, I'd opt to sell off as many of these pending FAs as I could, and perhaps a centerpiece player like Richards, Shoemaker, Calhoun, or Cron, if the return was immense enough. We'd still have a solid core going into the offseason, ample payroll flexibility, and hopefully enough return from all these trade chips to have 'rebooted' into a good position going into next offseason. 

This year is going to very crucial for the remainder of Eppler's contract, IMHO. Will be interesting to see how he reacts to that midseason.

If it's a one-year deal, absolutely. Move Chavez to his natural position as a swingman, move Meyer into the bullpen full-time (I think he's thrive there), improve two areas with one addition. Still like to see them add a lefty reliever in this scenario (Blevins, Logan, Wood). Scott Feldman could make sense in this scenario as well. 

Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco, Hammel/Feldman

Chavez, Ramirez, Guerra, Meyer, Logan/Blevins, Bedrosian, Street (with Alvarez and Morin as depth). 

6 hours ago, DMVol said:

The problem there is that we need prospect currency to facilitate any deadline trade and beyond our young risers like Thaiss and Jones, we do not have much to give. In the first Primer I usually talk about maintaining a reserve of money (management reserve) for in-season trades and normally that is a good practice but in this particular season with the way the Halos are currently constructed, spending most of it preseason actually makes more sense to try and win with what we have all the way through because of the state of our farm system and the lack of prospect currency.

This is why last year Doc, I, and others stressed spending because our farm system won't allow us to improve through trade very often. It is a resource and in-season tactical restraint to improving the team. The only choice left is to spend now and try to maximize production from the start of the season.

So yes normally I agree DVol just not in this particular season.

2 hours ago, nikkachez said:

If it's a one-year deal, absolutely. Move Chavez to his natural position as a swingman, move Meyer into the bullpen full-time (I think he's thrive there), improve two areas with one addition. Still like to see them add a lefty reliever in this scenario (Blevins, Logan, Wood). Scott Feldman could make sense in this scenario as well. 

Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco, Hammel/Feldman

Chavez, Ramirez, Guerra, Meyer, Logan/Blevins, Bedrosian, Street (with Alvarez and Morin as depth). 

I would note that you do not have to have a lefty necessarily, only someone who is good at getting left-handed hitters out. There are a couple of these types available on the market.

On 1/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, disarcina said:

well -- guess he did win 15 games last year for the World Champion Cubs.......didn't exactly disappear.

however, didn't he have a pretty good first half and sort of tanked later in the season?

That was my recollection. I believe he was left off the playoff rosters.

When has that ever happened? A guy wins 15 games for a team, is not injured (based on him making at least four starts even in September).............and is left off the playoff roster. Talk about falling off the map.

It appears he did miss his final start in late September. I dont recall him being injured. I think it was the usual case of a team's fifth starter not making the playoff roster, in lieu of another reliever.

What do you tell your grandkids, when they ask you about being on the Cubs team that finally broke the 108 year old drought?

"Hey, grandpa, how'd you do in the World Series in 2016?" "Well, sonny, I never played in the World Series. But I did get 11 million from the Cubs for pitching that season. And I did get a WS ring and share"

What else can you say?

It must have been a bittersweet year for Hammels.

thanks for the response -- all I remember is that I had Hammels on my fantasy team and he was pretty consistent the first half of the season, racking up wins even if his start stats were not that pretty WHIP wise (I think he was pretty good in the K category).......but then he just 'disappeared' stat wise -- I think he had as many bad starts as the season entered late June, July on as he had winning starts in April, May and early June --

and, Yes -- I agree with the prior post -- you won 15 games the year they broke the 108 year dought and weren't in the W/S ?? 'C'mon........ could be a trivia question -- with the "DID NOT GET HURT was NOT ON DL" caveat.