• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jason Hammel anyone?

Hufflepuff

Seems a lot of folks are keen on giving him two years - I mentioned that I would stick to one because I don't want him clogging a spot next year for Heaney, Trop, Meyer, or any of our lotto tickets, but I would also like to add that having Hammel on two years also eats up some money and a rotation spot from any FA SPs we could look at next year, of which the list is long. A lot of guys out there that I would rather have occupying the '18 rotation than Hammel. We may also need the payroll to address LF, 3B, 2B, RP, bench, and C next year. 

One year, all for it, but I'd stick to that still. I just don't want Hammel to limit what we can do next year, because we are going to have a lot to do.

I personally think Hammel gets massively overrated by people.  Career ERA+ of 86 in the AL (532 IP), it's not like he's just been unlucky, his FIP over that span is 4.68.   His last go around in the AL with Oakland he put up an ERA+ of 88.  Guys who give up hits and long balls tend to get murdered in the AL.

If people are looking for an innings eater that will likely perform at below league average in the 5 spot -- then fine.  But make sure that's what you're paying for and don't rely on him to really be much better than that.

40 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The Angels seem like they're done spending money.

What makes you think that? We didn't have much forewarning before any of our other free agent deals this offseason. 

Still wouldn't surprise me if they added at least one arm into the MLB staff. I imagine a hybrid arm who could start or relieve is likeliest, just to give them a bit of veteran stability to the crop of minor leaguers. Which I'm fine with. I'd actually like our minor league arms to get ample opportunity this coming season while our expectations are a little lower. See which of them can emerge as long-term pieces for '18 and beyond. 

I think Eppler is going to undergo a bunch of roster reorganization later this season and into the offseason. Think this is all one long, extended audition for many players.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I personally think Hammel gets massively overrated by people.  Career ERA+ of 86 in the AL (532 IP), it's not like he's just been unlucky, his FIP over that span is 4.68.   His last go around in the AL with Oakland he put up an ERA+ of 88.  Guys who give up hits and long balls tend to get murdered in the AL.

If people are looking for an innings eater that will likely perform at below league average in the 5 spot -- then fine.  But make sure that's what you're paying for and don't rely on him to really be much better than that.

I thought they already had that in Ricky Nolasco.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

What makes you think that? We didn't have much forewarning before any of our other free agent deals this offseason. 

Still wouldn't surprise me if they added at least one arm into the MLB staff. I imagine a hybrid arm who could start or relieve is likeliest, just to give them a bit of veteran stability to the crop of minor leaguers. Which I'm fine with. I'd actually like our minor league arms to get ample opportunity this coming season while our expectations are a little lower. See which of them can emerge as long-term pieces for '18 and beyond. 

I think Eppler is going to undergo a bunch of roster reorganization later this season and into the offseason. Think this is all one long, extended audition for many players.

Well, the Angels weren't nickel and dime-ing before the other big splashes by Dipoto. That was their MO under Reagins, as evidenced by GMJ, Hunter, Wells, Teixeira. Our current GM operates in a different manner.

Last I checked they were coming up on their typical yearly limit (not luxury tax related). The limit is supposedly 160-165 million. Right now, figuring in arbitration, they're expected to be at 160/161. And they have performance based bonuses for Chavez and Revere, which have to be planned for.

Right now, at the most, they might sign the right RP for 3-4 million a year, but I don't see it, mostly because Eppler hasn't spent specifically on bullpen yet in his tenure despite needs.

I think if they're looking at FA RPs, it likely isn't the guys like Logan, Blevins, Feliz, Holland - guys who will command multiple years and decent money. I'm thinking they're looking at RPs such as Jim Henderson, JP Howell, David Hernandez. For SPs, I can see guys like Feldman, De La Rosa, or Niese.

I'd love Cahill but have a hunch he's going to get more than they want to spend. 

Cheap guys who will be 1/$3-5m tops. I think we should add one more vet arm somewhere in the mix, but also widely support getting as many innings as possible to Meyer, Lamb, Guerra, Ramirez, Pounders, Campos, and so on.

I think if they're looking at FA RPs, it likely isn't the guys like Logan, Blevins, Feliz, Holland - guys who will command multiple years and decent money. I'm thinking they're looking at RPs such as Jim Henderson, JP Howell, David Hernandez. For SPs, I can see guys like Feldman, De La Rosa, or Niese.

I'd love Cahill but have a hunch he's going to get more than they want to spend. 

Cheap guys who will be 1/$3-5m tops. I think we should add one more vet arm somewhere in the mix, but also widely support getting as many innings as possible to Meyer, Lamb, Guerra, Ramirez, Pounders, Campos, and so on.

It's much more likely in my opinion, that we are done spending. 

Chavez will open the year as our 5th starter because he has a contract. Meyer will open the year in long relief to try and limit his innings. Rounding out the pen will be Ramirez, Guerra, Alvarez, Morin, Bailey, Bedrock and Street.

In AAA, they'll use Smith, Pounders, Banuelos, Lamb, Scribner and O'Grady as starting pitchers and long relievers. Middleton and Paredes will be in the pen. 

The AAA starters will be shuffled up to the majors to fill bullpen vacancies, particularly Pounders and Banuelos because of their relief background. About halfway through the year, we'll probably see Chavez move back into a bullpen role and the Angels will move Meyer into the rotation. We might also see Nolasco traded or moved and replaced in the rotation by Smith.

I'm thinking we'll probably see Morin, Guerra and Alvarez replaced by Middleton, Paredes and Lamb as well.

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Chavez will open the year as our 5th starter because he has a contract. Meyer will open the year in long relief to try and limit his innings. Rounding out the pen will be Ramirez, Guerra, Alvarez, Morin, Bailey, Bedrock and Street.

This is the only part I disagree with - other than that I think you're spot on.

Chavez's contract, particularly his base salary of just under $6m, is awfully high based on his line last year and in comparison to how steely Eppler is with guaranteed money. One may see that as reason to put him in the rotation, but I see that high base salary instead as more of a buy-out in the event he doesn't even get the opportunity to hit any of his games started incentives. 

I do agree that he will likely start the year in the rotation, but I think it will be more a result off health and performance of others than his contract. Ramirez is a huge variable being that he is out of options and how short we are on arms so I imagine they'll be working hard to keep him on the roster in some way, and his performance will probably dictate Chavez's role quite a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Chavez's contract, particularly his base salary of just under $6m, is awfully high based on his line last year and in comparison to how steely Eppler is with guaranteed money. One may see that as reason to put him in the rotation, but I see that high base salary instead as more of a buy-out in the event he doesn't even get the opportunity to hit any of his games started incentives. 

I do agree that he will likely start the year in the rotation, but I think it will be more a result off health and performance of others than his contract. Ramirez is a huge variable being that he is out of options and our thin depth, so I imagine they'll be working hard to keep him on the roster in some way, and his performance will probably dictate Chavez's role quite a bit. 

I do agree that he will likely start the year in the rotation, but I think it will be more a result off health and performance of others than his contract. Ramirez is a huge variable being that he is out of options and how short we are on arms so I imagine they'll be working hard to keep him on the roster in some way, and his performance will probably dictate Chavez's role quite a bit. 

I think Ramires's transition as a starter is more just diversifying him as a player and having more options as a team. Last year, the Angels had so many injuries that they simply ran out of options. This year, I think Eppler is just making sure that won't happen, and he's done a pretty solid job of it.

Ramirez will still likely be in the pen. He was successful there last year and his high octane stuff really plays up in that role. But if we need innings, we'll have him primed to go 3 now, instead of 1.

As far as multiple inning options in the bullpen go, to start the year I suspect we'll have Meyer, Ramirez and Alvarez, which helps us in blow outs and extra innings.

11 minutes ago, LooneyPlatoons said:

Didn't Hamel get pounded a few years ago when he was a rental for the A's?

He did at first but settled in a bit. He wasn't spectacular by any means though.

I still very much believe this team would benefit greatly from just receiving durable, vet innings, even if they're very average. It'd take a lot of pressure off our pen of unknown quantities and provide great insurance for all of our injury risk SPs. We had 90 games last year started by significantly below average pitchers, and by simply reallocating a third of that to a (likely) league average pitcher like Hammel would be a huge boon.

20 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think Ramires's transition as a starter is more just diversifying him as a player and having more options as a team. Last year, the Angels had so many injuries that they simply ran out of options. This year, I think Eppler is just making sure that won't happen, and he's done a pretty solid job of it.

Ramirez will still likely be in the pen. He was successful there last year and his high octane stuff really plays up in that role. But if we need innings, we'll have him primed to go 3 now, instead of 1.

As far as multiple inning options in the bullpen go, to start the year I suspect we'll have Meyer, Ramirez and Alvarez, which helps us in blow outs and extra innings.

Yeah, I'm not seriously anticipating Ramirez sticking as a SP, just saying that since he's out of options they'll have more incentive to hold onto him at the onset, and if he is stretched out, he would occupy what will be Chavez's likely role come midseason. Hiw ability to handle that role tips Chavez into a little more likelier of a role as a SP. 

Basically my only gripe was that Chavez would get #5 based primarily on his contract - I don't think that has any bearing on what his role winds up being.

If Chavez pitches like he did with Oakland in '14-'15, he'd be a great addition.

34 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

bandaid.jpg