• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Top 3 Angels Mission Impossible Predictions for 2017

ettin

List three very difficult or impossible events you think will happen in 2017 for our beloved Angels!

Remember make them really hard like a hole-in-one type prediction so that when it actually happens you can come back and revel in your precognitive skills! Or in other words you can revisit your glory hole!

ettin's Top 3 predictions:

1) Matt Shoemaker throws a no-hitter

2) Cameron Maybin runs a .350 OBP and steals 20 bases and is Top 10 in the League taking an extra base (whether 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home)

3) Mike Trout has a career season knocking in 130 RBI's, going 180 wRC+ vs. both LHP and RHP, while stealing 30 bases

Happy New Year everyone!

Something Trout related is the obvious one. Maybe he posts an absurd WAR total. Only one hitter has topped 12 bWAR since the 1920s (and that one was 50 years ago). Could Trout do it?

For a general baseball prediction, I really like Clayton Kershaw's chances of beating Pedro's single-season WHIP record. He had a better WHIP than that last year but didn't pitch enough innings to qualify.

Also, could Pujols join a very elite club of posting 100+ RBI and a sub-zero WAR in the same season? It has only happened 18 times ever. As long as he plays a full season and bats behind Trout, he's likely to drive in 100 runs. I doubt he falls below replacement level this year but it's not impossible, especially if he is primarily going to DH.

1. The Angels surprise many pundits by remaining in first place through June and buy at the deadline. They slump a bit in the 2nd half but still remain in the playoff race until the last week, finishing in 3rd place in the AL West with 86 wins. 

2. Angels trade for Mike Moustakas at the trade deadline from the selling Royals, who is signed to a 4 year 65 million dollar deal before he hits free agency in the offseason. 

3. Jefry Marte crushes it in 2017, hitting .265/.330/.500 with 22 home runs, prompting the Angels to shop C.J. Cron heavily at the trade deadline. Cron, who hits well in 2017 as well(.273/.331/.470) is traded in the offseason to the Yankees for Luis Severino and Justus Sheffield. 

3 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Also, could Pujols join a very elite club of posting 100+ RBI and a sub-zero WAR in the same season? It has only happened 18 times ever. As long as he plays a full season and bats behind Trout, he's likely to drive in 100 runs. I doubt he falls below replacement level this year but it's not impossible, especially if he is primarily going to DH.

This got me curious. My first thought was "Joe Carter" and then I looked him up and saw that he accounted for 3 of the 18 seasons (if you are going with rWAR). My second thought was Dante Bichette, but he only has 1. After that...god, who knows. Some Rockies?

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

This got me curious. My first thought was "Joe Carter" and then I looked him up and saw that he accounted for 3 of the 18 seasons (if you are going with rWAR). My second thought was Dante Bichette, but he only has 1. After that...god, who knows. Some Rockies?

10 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Something Trout related is the obvious one. Maybe he posts an absurd WAR total. Only one hitter has topped 12 bWAR since the 1920s (and that one was 50 years ago). Could Trout do it?

For a general baseball prediction, I really like Clayton Kershaw's chances of beating Pedro's single-season WHIP record. He had a better WHIP than that last year but didn't pitch enough innings to qualify.

I think Pujols will start the season on the DL, although I'm sure we'll see his usual push to be there at the start of the season, health be damned.

Holy shit, I just made a Claude post.

My mission impossible picks, as vague as can be:

1. Richards becomes a true ace, whatever your definition of that word is.

2. The bullpen is in the top half of MLB.

3. CJ Cron continues to improve at the same level he has been improving.

1) With great defense, a .280 BA and 22 HRs at the break, Espinosa gets an All Star invite. Slumps hard in second half but still finishes with a .250 BA and 30 HRs.

2) Mike Morin puts it all together and becomes a very good late inning reliever. Unfortunately, he does it on another team. 

3) Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, and Nolasco all make 30 starts and we barely see any of the Meyer, Banuelos, Campos, Pounders, Lamb depth. 

12 hours ago, ettin said:

List three very difficult or impossible events you think will happen in 2017 for our beloved Angels!

Remember make them really hard like a hole-in-one type prediction so that when it actually happens you can come back and revel in your precognitive skills! Or in other words you can revisit your glory hole!

ettin's Top 3 predictions:

1) Matt Shoemaker throws a no-hitter

2) Cameron Maybin runs a .350 OBP and steals 20 bases and is Top 10 in the League taking an extra base (whether 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home)

3) Mike Trout has a career season knocking in 130 RBI's, going 180 wRC+ vs. both LHP and RHP, while stealing 30 bases

Happy New Year everyone!

Angels win the world series.....is that a hole in one type prediction?

1) The Angels will win on Opening Day. 

2) Mike Trout will win the Home Run Derby.

3) Albert will show up to spring training fresh out of his latest walking boot declaring that he is 100%. In late August, after a season long slump he will then reveal that he'd been hobbled all season long by a sore Left knee. (the other knee)

4) Scioscia will step down with a full buyout due to health reasons and the Angels will deny that he's been fired. 

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

But on a serious note...

1. Andrelton Simmons hits .300, or close to it

2. CJ Cron slugs .500+

3. David Espinosa has a career year, producing a 3.7 WAR, hitting .248/.317/.424 with 23 HR and Gold Glove defense.

I wish he was on our team.  :)

1.  Jefry Marte and Sherman Johnson end up in a platoon at 3b after Escobar struggles.  Sherm will be on everyone's radar early with a strong spring where he deserves to make the team over pennington.  He gets called up early in the year when Cliff gets a hammy.  

2.  Our bullpen comes out of nowhere to be one of the best in baseball.  Campos shakes off injury and becomes a stud late innings guy with his mid to high nineties fastball and good off speed stuff.  Middleton comes up and dominates.  Meyer works out of the pen and does a great job.  Eppler is lauded for his clean peanut skills and I eat a ton of crow. 

3.  Banuelos makes 25 starts for us and gets rookie of the year consideration falling just short.  

honorable mention - Jahmai Jones continues his huge breakout and hits 20 bombs and steals 40 bags becoming a top 20 prospect in all of baseball by the end of the 2017 season and ends up in AA. In addition, Chris Rodriguez breaks out huge and he, Thaiss, Jones, and our top 10 pick all end up in the top 100.  Scotty sports perpetual wood the entire year as our farm system becomes solid middle of the pack by seasons end.    

1. Garrett Richards comes back with a 20 year old elbow and wins the Cy Young, putting Stem Cell/Plasma at the forefront of many discussions.

2. Danny Espinosa goes 20/20 in HR/SB and wins a Gold Glove.

3. The Angels win the AL West and Billy Eppler is seen as a visionary, building elite defensive units and relying on run prevention  to win ball games. This reliance on defense begins anew trend in FA spending, where now, light hitting, elite defenders like Simmons will be getting 100 million dollar contracts.