• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Peter O'Brien DFA'd

Second Base

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/diamondbacks-claim-juan-graterol-designate-peter-obrien-for-assignment.html?fv-home=true&post-id=81228

Hit 35 bombs in AAA in 2015. A poor defensive catcher and OF, but could be a DH. I'd claim him and stick him at 1B in AAA. If Cron cannot stay healthy or slumps, he'd make a very solid backup option. 

Marte is likely the superior option, but O'Brien's numbers in the minors are significantly better. So there at least could be some competition.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Or they're thinking with Napoli, Carter, Trumbo, Alvarez, etc. on market now is a good time to try and sneak him off the 40-man. 

That could very well be true but you don't DFA a guy without realizing the concept that there is a real risk he will be snagged up. I could easily see the Braves or White Sox taking a flyer and seeing if they can fix his swing. Imagine if you could fix his swing (or at least his strikeout problem) suddenly you have a corner OF/1B type with tremendous power.

Or you could simply have a washout DH type :D

55 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Who is Blake Parker?

I originally had written him up for the bullpen part of the Primer but he was picked up on waivers shortly before I sent it so I added back what I wrote up originally. He has some really sick strikeout rates (some in limited sample sizes) in the Majors on his split-finger fastball and curveball. He is someone that could potentially be a nice back-end bullpen piece if it comes together for him. He is fly-ball prone though so when he misses it can be a big miss.

O'brien is essentially CJ cron with a lesser ability to hit for avg and more strikeouts.  Perhaps a shade more discipline and power.  They're actually about the same age.  

But that slight ability for Cron to make more contact is a huge difference at the major league level.  

If Choi gets claimed off waivers, I could see us picking him up, but he doesn't really fit the Eppler mold.

On 12/23/2016 at 0:58 PM, ettin said:

I originally had written him up for the bullpen part of the Primer but he was picked up on waivers shortly before I sent it so I added back what I wrote up originally. He has some really sick strikeout rates (some in limited sample sizes) in the Majors on his split-finger fastball and curveball. He is someone that could potentially be a nice back-end bullpen piece if it comes together for him. He is fly-ball prone though so when he misses it can be a big miss.

Good thing Angel Stadium isn't Minute Maid Park