• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Coup in North Carolina

10 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Sigh

I'm not sure what the sigh is about...equating two actions, that are different, doesn't bring us together.

If you think Obama shouldn't have taken some of the recent actions...fine, have a discussion about that...but when you equate it to what the Republican legislature did it normalizes extreme behavior.

4 minutes ago, red321 said:

Do you think the US should let Russia attempt to impugn the integrity of the election and influence the outcome without consequences?

Unless Obama is doing something else we don't know about, those are some pretty weak consequences. Expelling some diplomats? Please.

This isn't about consequences, it's a domestic political move.

@red321

I'm curious, how exactly did Russia influence the election? Be specific, did they tamper with the vote totals? Were they the source of Wikileaks?

"Russia meddled in our election" is so fucking vague, it blows my mind that people are willing to go to such great lengths to "retaliate."

Hacking the DNC, with the intent of finding sensitive information and then a daily drip of emails in an attempt to embarrass the Clinton campaign, many of the leaks timed to key dates within the campaign, is an attempt to influence the outcome, whether it actually did or not. They did it in a clear manner to help one candidate, over another. At a minimum they seemed to have accomplished the goal of casting doubt on the integrity of the election.

I would think our response should be significantly more than what it has been, to ward off any future attempt at something similar.

3 minutes ago, red321 said:

Hacking the DNC, with the intent of finding sensitive information and then a daily drip of emails in an attempt to embarrass the Clinton campaign, many of the leaks timed to key dates within the campaign, is an attempt to influence the outcome, whether it actually did or not. They did it in a clear manner to help one candidate, over another. At a minimum they seemed to have accomplished the goal of casting doubt on the integrity of the election.

I would think our response should be significantly more than what it has been, to ward off any future attempt at something similar.

So you're going with wikileaks source then?

1 minute ago, red321 said:

They did it in a clear manner to help one candidate, over another. At a minimum they seemed to have accomplished the goal of casting doubt on the integrity of the election.

How do we know that? Citation please? What exactly could have been released that would have made Trump seem worse?!?!?!?  What would have been remotely interesting? What would have pushed Pussy-grabbing to the back page or the million of other absurdly terrible things Trump has said or done seem trivial?  Unless they have the best fortune tellers ever how would they have known in June 15 when the hacking reportedly began that Trump was going to be the nominee. For all we know the force behind this like everyone else in 2015 believed Hillary was a lock for the White House and didn't even to take the Republicans seriously. You know, the like the DNC did.

People wonder why Hitler wasn't seriously targeted for assassination by the Allies. It is assumed that in large part it was concluded that why would they want to stop Hitler from screwing up his country's war effort by being an strategic idiot. In this context the Hitler/Trump comparison isn't a bad one.  

13 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Here's specification, our president just expelled 35 foreign diplomats without showing any proof of wrongdoing by their home country.

So basically, poor Russia.

Look, I also hope Obama and Congress know something that we don't. If they do, their Intel is likely coming from the CIA operatives in Russia, and not through tracing the hack.

I'd also like to see more information. And yeah I know, WMDs.

3 minutes ago, InsideThePark said:

So basically, poor Russia.

I think there is room to be worried about as a country looking like idiots without immediately having sympathies for Russia.

3 minutes ago, InsideThePark said:

Look, I also hope Obama and Congress know something that we don't. If they do, their Intel is likely coming from the CIA operatives in Russia, and not through tracing the hack.

That's been made abundantly clear by the JAR. They had to fill out the last half of a damn 13 page document with a filler noobs' guide to not getting pwned.  They have the bad guys in a grey hoodie (really? Tone deaf much?) on a generic flowchart of how the bad stuff happens and include some scary IP Addresses of compromised (as in not complicit) systems. It's a mildly upgraded Powerpoint presentation.  I don't know while reading it if I want to laugh or cry. 

Since Red sounds like he's taking the Russia is wikileaks' source road, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on something.

Julian Assange said the source of their information was not from a "state party", when asked if he means Russian government he said yes, as in it was not the Russian government. Very clear about that. The reason you should believe him is because Wikieaks has a reputation of 100% accuracy, as in everything they publish is not disputed, it's all real stuff. They take that reputation very seriously, they say if it gets tarnished it puts anything they put out in question. He never comments on their sources, ever. So why would he risk their reputation by coming out and saying it's not Russia if it actually is them? I don't think he's lying.

Certainly if I was Russia government I would have outsourced the hacking and I sure as hell would have outsourced the delivery of the illegally obtained material. There are an embarrassment of riches as far as civilian (cough organized crime cough) groups in Russia that could have done this. So as far as Assange goes I have little reason to doubt his veracity. 

Well that's the thing. You can craft 50 plausible scenarios on what happened.  We really don't know.  I worry the US government has taken the approach that it's better to be proven wrong than to be confirmed unable to defend against this kind of attack.