• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Danny Espinosa from Nats for Kyle McGowin and Austin Adams

bloodbrother

This is a good move.  

The players we gave up aren't likely to be significant contributors at the major league level, although if they are, it will be out of the pen.  Adams had a chance to be impactful this year.  Although unlikely, he's a guy that could actually be a difference maker in the pen.  But he's 26 and spent an entire year at AA with part of his season lost to injury

My 2b preference would have been to sign a player like Valbuena or if we were going to give up something in trade then it would have been to get a AAA type ready to hit the majors.  

But Espinosa is an excellent defender.  With his pop, I feel like he's a two win player as opposed to the 1 that many are giving him credit for.  I think it will be additive playing next to Simmons.  His bat isn't great, but the guy has been with one org his whole career.  He's about to become a free agent and probably has a bit of a chip on his shoulder as well as the  fact that he's coming home.  Perhaps someone on our staff can help him with hitting righties.  I know most around here would view it as a long shot, but at the very least, he's gonna play d.  

This team needs a little luck, but with a couple more under the radar moves, they are definitely in the mix to compete and we are no worse for wear in terms of setting up for 2019.  

9 minutes ago, ettin said:

I swear to God it's like you are looking over my shoulder while I'm writing these Primers lol....

Dyson's been a popular name floated out there.  I wouldn't be surprised if we landed Ben Revere on an incentive laden deal.  I know Maybin was great last year, and he may have turned the corner and we may have bought low just in time.  But given his career, I have little confidence in Cam Maybin producing with any sort of consistency at the plate.  At least he'll be a very good defender in LF.  But we need to have a backup plan, and a strong one at that.   

I think to fill out the rest of the offseason, I think a RP and 4th OF should conclude our shopping list. 

Just now, Scotty@AW said:

Dyson's been a popular name floated out there.  I wouldn't be surprised if we landed Ben Revere on an incentive laden deal.  I know Maybin was great last year, and he may have turned the corner and we may have bought low just in time.  But given his career, I have little confidence in Cam Maybin producing with any sort of consistency at the plate.  At least he'll be a very good defender in LF.  But we need to have a backup plan, and a strong one at that.   

I think to fill out the rest of the offseason, I think a RP and 4th OF should conclude our shopping list. 

Dyson would be a perfect utility OF. He can hit left handed and his defense is top notch at all 3 OF positions.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Dyson would be a perfect utility OF. He can hit left handed and his defense is top notch at all 3 OF positions.

I'd be mostly interested in his speed.  We haven't had anyone we can bring in as a pinch runner and just steal a base.  We've needed that for a long time. 

I'd still prefer a ridiculously fast, lefty/switch-hitting defense-first 4th OF with club-control like Billy Hamilton, Delino DeShields, or Jankowski, but would be totally fine with Dyson or Revere.

Only downside is either likely walk at the end of the year and we're right back to needing two OFs again. Because of that, I'd try and pay a little extra and get one of the first guys I mentioned so we have a built-in Maybin replacement either midseason if he dealt or after the season when he walks. 

I'm still a little concerned with the fact Eppler has filled all these needs with guys who are gone at the end of the year. It could work to our advantage of course, but I'd like to see one guy brought in somewhere for a longer timeframe.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'd be mostly interested in his speed.  We haven't had anyone we can bring in as a pinch runner and just steal a base.  We've needed that for a long time. 

Yes he is a great base stealer too, he is efficient. The only problem is that many teams appear to be considering him as their everyday CF due to his defense so that may prevent us from acquiring him because his acquisition cost is probably high considering his measly ~$2.5M salary.

well, we really need to get some pen help now.  Sounds like we're pretty much a small ball team with some speed now --playing NL type ball (or KC Royals ball that was so successful two years ago)........so this means if we're not scoring many runs, we need to do better in the bridge innings sixth to the eighth and then hope we solve the closer role with Bedrosian or Bailey........both have been inconsistent.

I like Simmons at SS, Espinsoa at 2B and if our rotation can induce a lot of groundballs - the pitchers will be liking this infield as well.

Bandy behind the plate? Better D than Perez.

need pen bridge guys for the sixth to eighth inning and hope that Bedrosian, Bailey can claim the closer role and do well.

Escobar still at lead off? he did well last year. Or is Espinosa better there ? I'd say keep Escobar.

Escobar, Maybin, Trout, Calhoun, Pujols/Cron, Espinosa/ Simmons/ Bandy.

Over a 35 game stretch last year (May 26 to July 3) he slashed .296/.393/.730/1.123 in 136 PA with 15 HR, 33 RBI, 13 BB, 33 K.

Did that with a .279 BAbip as well. Digging through all of his career stats, he seems to have periods where he has good plate discipline and then it goes to shit. But there are promising glimpses here and there. Would be nice if the Angels and can be the benefactor for once of one of those crazy fluky outlier seasons that happen every now and then, like Chase Headley's 2012, Jason Heyward's 2010, Johnny Peralta's 2005, Dan Uggla's 2008. 

Espinosa has the right blend of power, hard contact, speed, and occasional plate discipline that he could put up one of those years at some point and drop some crazy inflated line like .265/.350/.460/.810 line with 25+ HRs. 

Actually, some of the advanced offensive stats grade Gia and Espinosa out as being fairly even. Gia made much, much more contact and rarely struck out, but Espinosa balances it out by offering far more power and walking more. 

And that's okay. Gia was just a hair below-average offensively anyways - 90 OPS+ as an Angel. His offense was overlooked because of how poor his defense was and how good it was compared to LF and C recently.

Espinosa certainly possesses far more offensive upside than Gia ever did though.

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Over a 35 game stretch last year (May 26 to July 3) he slashed .296/.393/.730/1.123 in 136 PA with 15 HR, 33 RBI, 13 BB, 33 K.

Did that with a .279 BAbip as well. Digging through all of his career stats, he seems to have periods where he has good plate discipline and then it goes to shit. But there are promising glimpses here and there. Would be nice if the Angels and can be the benefactor for once of one of those crazy fluky outlier seasons that happen every now and then, like Chase Headley's 2012, Jason Heyward's 2010, Johnny Peralta's 2005, Dan Uggla's 2008. 

Espinosa has the right blend of power, hard contact, speed, and occasional plate discipline that he could put up one of those years at some point and drop some crazy inflated line like .265/.350/.460/.810 line with 25+ HRs. 

Yeah he clearly has shown potential.  Who know, maybe being home will help his mental state and keep him from getting in his head too much and he can maintain a more steady approach.  I went to K-8 grade with him and I remember a bunch of us that went to school with him went to watch his first game at Angels stadium and he smacked a HR.  Hard to say how it will affect him, but it could potentially bring out the best in him.

20 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Except we'd have to trade for Dyson and he wouldn't come cheap....Revere only costs you money....I'd go with Revere....

I'd be fine with either. Dyson may bring a little more certainty into the fold and that could be worth what we give up, but hard to say what the Royals would ask. If it was too much, no doubt I'd move on to Revere.

Sorry for being late to the party on this thread. Going to start hitting the site more often. I'm pretty optimistic about Espionsa. His average and strikeout rate were punished by batting in front of pitchers. It's easy to develop some bad habits when you are getting pitched around so often. He could easily boost his numbers much like we saw from Simmons last year.