• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Callaspo had a 3.5 and 3.1 WAR in 2011 and 2012. He was a solid third baseman for us. 

Callaspo began his rapid decline at age 30. Justin Turner had a solid season (maybe a career year) but he just turned 32 so I wouldn't give him more than a two year deal with a club option. 

Maybe Arte is willing to pay Turner $16M - $20M per year but he doesn't want to pay him beyond his useful prime. We've already done that too often. 

7 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

15356654_10150762926979984_4417130872856

"OK, you with the glasses, go find Cashman and get him in here, pronto."

"Dude in the fresh jacket, go find me some blow and lots of it, it's gonna be a long night."

"You, yeah you, write this down. 2 bottles of grey goose, a 2 liter of tonic, 6 blunts, and something to eat. Idk, el pollo loco or something"

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Callaspo began his rapid decline at age 30. Justin Turner had a solid season (maybe a career year) but he just turned 32 so I wouldn't give him more than a two year deal with a club option. 

Maybe Arte is willing to pay Turner $16M - $20M per year but he doesn't want to pay him beyond his useful prime. We've already done that too often. 

Turner had his best year this past year, but it's not like he was bad the previous years.  He's basically been a 4 win player for three years now.  If you give him $75-80 million over 5 years (which sounds about right to me), and he gives you 12 wins then he lived up to his contract.  I am quite confident he would give you a 4 win and a couple 3 win seasons the next three years.  

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

The Angels are very interested in Turner. You can bet there's a offer already in place. I'm guessing 4/65M for starters.

I'm torn on Turner.   Would love for the Halos to sign him, but how confident are the Halos that he would be playing well enough beyond the first two years of the new contract.

Also, would signing Turner prevent them from upgrading the pen?   Although they could possibly wait a year on that while hoping for lightning in a bottle, and upgrade it after 2017.   

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'm torn on Turner.   Would love for the Halos to sign him, but how confident are the Halos that he would be playing well enough beyond the first two years of the new contract.

Also, would signing Turner prevent them from upgrading the pen?   Although they could possibly wait a year on that while hoping for lightning in a bottle, and upgrade it after 2017.   

My feelings exactly. He wouldn't put us over the top and likely his salary would take us right to whatever edge we believe there is. 

One thing our system is sorely lacking is offense at the corners, and power is something that takes awhile to develop. Thaiss is really the only one with projectable power anywhere on the farm right now. We don't have a single 3B prospect. Thaiss is our only 1B prospect, and he's only been in the system for a couple months. Signing Turner would give them some long-term peace of mind and alleviate a lot of pressure on the system needing to produce power (again, hard and slow to develop) and produce corner infielders for awhile. They can shift their drafting focus back to a certain area - such as pitching - instead of having to fill as many needs as possible.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

agreed.  If you told me that Arte would be willing to increase payroll in 2019 and that the Turner deal wouldn't limit spending during that time, I would say hell yes.  Get him and give yourself a better chance to win now.  But I don't think that's gonna be the case.  I don't see Arte doing what Washington or Detroit has done.  And Frankly for good reason.  But it's a tough call because you set yourself up for another 2015 where you rolled out a replacement level 2bman, replacement level SS, and a below replacement level LFer as well as a below avg starting staff and mediocre pen.  Yet they won 85 games.  What happens if those spots are filled with even slightly below average talent?  

Our team is currently constructed in a way that it's solid to good with the exception of a couple spots where it's just terrible.  If there was a a lower tier of talent across the board then I would say to bide your time.  But the obvious stuff needs to get addressed regardless of what you are going to do in 2 years.  

Please sign Tyson Ross.  Please?  He is going to want one year to re-establish himself.  So no long term risk, no massive amount of money risk.  If he recovers fully then he is potentially the #1 starter on the team.  Imagine adding like 14 wins to the rotation.  Imagine the Angel offense does fine, Richards pitches well, Ross pitches well, and the volume of other pitchers make the staff competitive every single day.  Imagine getting into that wildcard spot and actually looking at a postseason with two #1 level pitchers in Richards and Ross.  Nothing about signing Ross to a one year deal would disrupt any other plans long term.  It is all upside, and the only downside will be a modest one year contract.

Come on Eppler, see the opportunity and move on it.

I imagine if its being widely discussed on a fan message board, odds are good that a talent like Ross is on a competent GM's radar.  Question will become what offers is he receiving?  If he's getting one year deals for equivalent money from many contenders, does someone go to two years to seal the deal?  Would you go to two years?  Its one thing to want someone as obviously talented as Ross, but he's doesn't appear to be some "sleeper" pick up....he's known.  

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yea....that's what I'm thinking.

To answer your question about taking him for two years.... yes, I would take him for two years.

That's what I'm thinking as well.  I know a lot of people have been looking at 1 year deals for Ross to "re-establish" himself but I think it will take two and I'd do it.  This team needs to take risk on talent that won't cost them draft picks and he fits the bill.  

12 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I imagine if its being widely discussed on a fan message board, odds are good that a talent like Ross is on a competent GM's radar.  Question will become what offers is he receiving?  If he's getting one year deals for equivalent money from many contenders, does someone go to two years to seal the deal?  Would you go to two years?  Its one thing to want someone as obviously talented as Ross, but he's doesn't appear to be some "sleeper" pick up....he's known.  

I doubt he would want two years.  He's entering his age 30 season looking to recoup his value and turn it into a monster contract for 2018.  

On 12/8/2016 at 10:10 AM, Scotty@AW said:

Arte is one of the few owners in MLB without any debt, which means no payments. He gets Angel Stadium rent free, which again means no payments. He's operating in the 2nd largest market in the country. He has a 2 billion dollar TV deal for the next 20 years, which quite literally makes him a billionaire, as if he weren't one already. He just got rid of 50 million in expenses from last year due to aging players hitting free agency. He has the best player since Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays at age 25 on a team friendly contract.

And yet for 3+ years now, we've operated like a small market team.

Yeah, I get it. Arte didn't become rich by spending more money than he needs. And yeah he's owning a business, and the whole purpose of that is to make money. And yeah, spending on Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton and CJ Wilson didn't work as well as he hoped. I understand all of that.

But that doesn't mean you take your ball and go home just because you struck out. You make adjustments and step back up to the freakin' plate.

if the whole purpose of owning an mlb franchise is to make money, then count me out. i want a george steinbrenner who derives some sort of ego fuel from owning a championship winning team. i want an owner who measures his dick by winning.

give me rodney dangerfield circa caddyshack or back to school.

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

if the whole purpose of owning an mlb franchise is to make money, then count me out. i want a george steinbrenner who derives some sort of ego fuel from owning a championship winning team. i want an owner who measures his dick by winning.

give me rodney dangerfield circa caddyshack or back to school.

F yeah!!!! 

5 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Dodgers just released Charlie Culberson.  I could see Eppler signing him.

The article suggests that he will lose the contract he signed if he decides to pursue free agency and that this was a likely known outcome leading me to believe the Dodgers used this as a tool to sign him but get him off of their 40-man to act as AAA depth at a better-than-Minor-League-minimum-salary deal. I could be wrong he might elect free agency anyway but he will lose $550K.

We don't need a Turner, it's a waste of money in our limited budget.

Turner    runners in scoring position BAA  .325

Escobar runners in scoring position BAA   .362

(highest on our team)

Escobar is not going to play 2B. Plus, Escobar trade value isn't giving us a 2B.