• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

8 hours ago, ettin said:

The Rays Wilson Ramos deal is so sickening to me they got him really cheap. Yes there is injury risk but if you believe in his breakout year with the bat they just picked up a middle of the order hitter for virtually nothing. Who cares if he is out for the first couple of months. I could be wrong but that is a coup on their part.

We didn't have any room for him. Pujols will be DHing and Ramos is unable to catch until midseason probably at the earliest. He was definitely going to go somewhere that offered plenty of ABs at DH and room for him to get as much work as necessary at catcher whenever that time came, and the environment here wasn't anywhere close to that unless Cron and Perez/Bandy were traded....and Pujols would still be at DH.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They'll sign Nova and trade for Solarte and we will give Eppler shit for being in love with NY prospects when they struggle. 

Only downside to this is that it likely increases the odds of Skaggs or Shoemaker being traded, and I like both of them more than Nova. 
It'd depend on what other moves were made.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I hope Eppler isn't ignoring the bullpen yet again. I'd rather take whatever the hell they might be offering Nova and get 2 solid relievers.

I don't see Nova as being much better or different than Nolasco....both got traded at the deadline and had very good numbers for 11 starts with their new team....beyond that, neither has been very consistent or very good.....

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I don't see Nova as being much better or different than Nolasco....both got traded at the deadline and had very good numbers for 11 starts with their new team....beyond that, neither has been very consistent or very good.....

The plus to Nova is he's a ground-ball machine and Ray Searage in Pittsburgh has had a good track record of turning around pitchers. He'd also be leaving the AL East and all the crazy hitting environments there.

Trevor Cahill is a groundball machine too though, and will cost way less, and has as good of a track record in my opinion.

Could Ian Desmond be the three year offer? He's finalizing a deal with the ol mystery team today. He would be a nice piece in that he would be our starting 2b and could also spell Maybin in the outfield with Pennington starting at 2nd on those days. I also assume he'll be much cheaper than Turner given that he has a pick attached

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The plus to Nova is he's a ground-ball machine and Ray Searage in Pittsburgh has had a good track record of turning around pitchers. He'd also be leaving the AL East and all the crazy hitting environments there.

Trevor Cahill is a groundball machine too though, and will cost way less, and has as good of a track record in my opinion.

I don't think Nova is terrible but I'd rather not go 3 years on him (if that rumor is true).....and I still think he's very comparable to Nolasco....you have to like what Nolasco did for the Angels (same with Nova and the Bucs) but can they sustain it?

Just now, SigBaby said:

Could Ian Desmond be the three year offer? He's finalizing a deal with the ol mystery team today. He would be a nice piece in that he would be our starting 2b and could also spell Maybin in the outfield with Pennington starting at 2nd on those days. I also assume he'll be much cheaper than Turner given that he has a pick attached

Wondered about that too. He doesn't seem like the best fit but he would give us controllable depth at multiple positions going forward so I wouldn't be totally against it.

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I don't think Nova is terrible but I'd rather not go 3 years on him (if that rumor is true).....and I still think he's very comparable to Nolasco....you have to like what Nolasco did for the Angels (same with Nova and the Bucs) but can they sustain it?

I'd be shocked if he didn't get at least three years. He'll probably get 4 year offers. 

And yes, I love what Nolasco did and think Nova can do something comparable, and I've been very vocal about how the Angels would benefit tremendously by simply adding average, durable innings for a moderate price. 

Biggest issues with Nova is he blocks up a rotation slot for a couple years, and I think we'll have better options internally - maybe not this year, but going forward I would think so. Which leads me to think Skaggs, Shoemaker, or Meyer could be dealt. And I think all three are better or have more potential than Nova. There are also many, many more intriguing FA SPs next year and Nova murks up those options too.

And if they do sign Bud Norris, Chase Utley, and Coco Crisp to one-year deals and call it an offseason, it'll suck hard for '17 but it'll give me a lot of hope and anticipation that Eppler is looking ahead a season or two for having a really crazy big offseason, and is just biding his time for now. 

If the above happens, Eppler has already set himself up for an opportunity to do a major, major rehaul next offseason. 
Street, Escobar, Nolasco, Maybin, Utley, Pennington, Norris, and Crisp all walking means we need a new reliever, two starters, two outfielders, and two infielders. That's a huge shopping list.

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wondered about that too. He doesn't seem like the best fit but he would give us controllable depth at multiple positions going forward so I wouldn't be totally against it.

Hes going to the Rockies. They gave up the 11th overall pick for him...

This gives the Rockies too many outfielders...maybe they trade Gonzales?

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd be shocked if he didn't get at least three years. He'll probably get 4 year offers. 

And yes, I love what Nolasco did and think Nova can do something comparable, and I've been very vocal about how the Angels would benefit tremendously by simply adding average, durable innings for a moderate price. 

Biggest issues with Nova is he blocks up a rotation slot for a couple years, and I think we'll have better options internally - maybe not this year, but going forward I would think so. Which leads me to think Skaggs, Shoemaker, or Meyer could be dealt. And I think all three are better or have more potential than Nova. There are also many, many more intriguing FA SPs next year and Nova murks up those options too.

This got me thinking in regards to Nolasco's turn around. Eppler has worked on building a solid defensive team and it showed as we ranked second in UZR last year. The Twins were one of the worst teams in terms of UZR last year and I have a feeling that was a major part of the reason for Nolasco's turn around. Just looking at some of the league's worst UZR from last year and one team that could match up is the Diamondbacks who were even worse than the Twins last year. I'd love to be able to get Robbie Ray and Nick Ahmed in a deal. I think Robbie Ray has some real breakout potential if he could leave the Diamondbacks homerun friendly park and pitch in front of a solid defense including Nick Ahmed at second who is basically Simmons-lite. He doesn't hit much but is a defensive wizard. I have no clue what it would take to get those guys, but if we could then sign Turner and trade Escobar that would be about as good of a fielding infield as a team could have. 

19 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

This got me thinking in regards to Nolasco's turn around. Eppler has worked on building a solid defensive team and it showed as we ranked second in UZR last year. The Twins were one of the worst teams in terms of UZR last year and I have a feeling that was a major part of the reason for Nolasco's turn around. Just looking at some of the league's worst UZR from last year and one team that could match up is the Diamondbacks who were even worse than the Twins last year. I'd love to be able to get Robbie Ray and Nick Ahmed in a deal. I think Robbie Ray has some real breakout potential if he could leave the Diamondbacks homerun friendly park and pitch in front of a solid defense including Nick Ahmed at second who is basically Simmons-lite. He doesn't hit much but is a defensive wizard. I have no clue what it would take to get those guys, but if we could then sign Turner and trade Escobar that would be about as good of a fielding infield as a team could have. 

some good thoughts.  Although if AZ is looking to improve their defense, losing ahmed isn't going to help.  I don't think I could take a bat that poor though.  He's basically featherston.  Can't see them moving Ray.  Theoretically, they should have a good starting staff but that ballpark sucks.   

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

some good thoughts.  Although if AZ is looking to improve their defense, losing ahmed isn't going to help.  I don't think I could take a bat that poor though.  He's basically featherston.  Can't see them moving Ray.  Theoretically, they should have a good starting staff but that ballpark sucks.   

Thats why to offset Ahmed we'd also need to sign Turner or add offense in some other way. The D-Backs are actually loaded with talented controllable starters now that they've traded for Taijuan Walker so while Ray would be the most desirable and therefor cost the most theres also other bounce back candidates who would benefit from leaving that park and defense (Corbin, Shelby Miller). I think the Diamondbacks would be dumb to sell so low on those guys but who knows

12 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

Reddick signed with Houston last month.

The original tweet said they "had" a conversation with at least one free agent, that doesn't mean its a current free agent. 

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Hes going to the Rockies. They gave up the 11th overall pick for him...

This gives the Rockies too many outfielders...maybe they trade Gonzales?

One is going to play 1st. They are saying that's Desmond, but I think CarGo ends up being the 1st baseman.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

We didn't have any room for him. Pujols will be DHing and Ramos is unable to catch until midseason probably at the earliest. He was definitely going to go somewhere that offered plenty of ABs at DH and room for him to get as much work as necessary at catcher whenever that time came, and the environment here wasn't anywhere close to that unless Cron and Perez/Bandy were traded....and Pujols would still be at DH.

Trade Perez and put Ramos in a platoon with Wilson playing 1B against LHP which Cron has sucked against his whole career and against RHP with Bandy who hits LHP better. Oh well the ship sailed.