• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

China

Been reading a bit about the supposed controversy caused by Trump's phone call with Taiwan. I just read an article on the "things China could do in response" to supposedly penalize the U.S. for relations with Taiwan.

It got me thinking....other than cheap plastic products (which can probably be made almost as cheaply in Mexico), what do we really get out of our relationship with China? They don't do a God damned thing to help us out with North Korea, and we already have strong allies in the region in Japan and South Korea.

So other than showing enough respect to China to avoid a war with them, why should we give two shits about a relationship with them?

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They are on the verge if being the center of wealth in the world. I'm not sure what you would expect to gain antagonizing that country.

I completely agree we shouldn't antagonize them, at least not too much. But maybe it's time we evaluate what we actually get out of the relationship, and strive to get a little more?

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

They are on the verge if being the center of wealth in the world. I'm not sure what you would expect to gain antagonizing that country.

Our president should be able to talk to any foreign dignitary he wants without having to worry about hurting China's feelings. 

It's not so much about hurting China's feelings. It's about not being a giant ass about every single teeny tiny little thing you do in your entire pathetic existence. There's been a longstanding agreement on this subject. Given enough time I'm 100% positive that this will be proven to be a calculated move related to an agenda other than the best interest of the USA.

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Our president should be able to talk to any foreign dignitary he wants without having to worry about hurting China's feelings. 

To follow on that, Trump has neither been officially elected by the EC, nor confirmed in office, so in many (all?) respects, he is still a private citizen (yeah, President Elect, I know). When the hell did we care about a private citizen speaking to Taiwan?

Then again, I would hope that he acts just a little bit Presidential, but hold little hope of that in the next 4 years...

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

It's not so much about hurting China's feelings. It's about not being a giant ass about every single teeny tiny little thing you do in your entire pathetic existence. There's been a longstanding agreement on this subject. Given enough time I'm 100% positive that this will be proven to be a calculated move related to an agenda other than the best interest of the USA.

But building artificial reefs in the SCS is cool. 

They're not going to do much about some perceived insult. China has been downplaying the incident anyway.

What are they going to do, anyway? They've already stopped buying more of our debt. Their holdings of US Treasuries are at the lowest point since 2012. Japan and Saudi have sold also. 10 year Treasuries are sold at auction, so fewer buyers means that you have to offer a higher yield. A full point increase since the july low is the result.

They're not going to do anything that threatens their $300 B trade surplus with the US. China knows there's a shitstorm coming, they've been buying thousands of tons of gold over the last decade (in addition to what they mine themselves as by far the world's largest gold producer), but they're not going to hasten that shitstorm through their own actions. Keep amassing assets for as long as possible. 

When the Fed first started monetizing our debt (purchasing Treasuries with money created out of thin air) in 2010, it oddly coincided with the launch of an SLBM from the other side of Catalina from the first of their new Jin-class submarines. Oh, but that missile launch was just a contrail from an approaching jetliner, some dude on here spent a lifetime arguing. Yeah, but just ignore the fact that the KCBS pilot who captured the launch on film would have seen the approaching jet in just a few minutes if that had been the case. Nice cover story, but the message was loud and clear.

Trump means to negotiate better trade terms, maybe. Why allow an opponent to feel secure about his position right before a negotiation? That's fine, but China is a formidable adversary.

The whole China thing is just another over-hyped story from a media that is still in denial over Clinton's loss in the election.

Obama decides to restore relations with a murderous dictator in Cuba = brilliant!

Trump takes a congratulatory phone call from a democratically elected official in Taiwan = WW III

12 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Taking a phone call is being an ass? Maybe you should write an article for the Washington Post about your post election emotional distress.

23 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Taking a phone call is being an ass? Maybe you should write an article for the Washington Post about your post election emotional distress.

At the Republican Convention that nominated Trump they issued a statement opposing any actions that would alter the status quo in the Taiwan straits. I think this might qualify. I'll repeat that I'm 100% positive that this will prove to be calculated move related to an agenda other than the best interest of the USA. 

14 hours ago, arch stanton said:

It probably DEFINITELY has nothing to do with him waiting to build luxury hotels in the country. Nothing at all.

3 hours ago, cezero said:

It's either a mistake on his part, or a calculated move crafted by his staff, and their only interest in global politics is to help billionaires make money.  That's all American foreign policy has been since WWI a century ago, regardless of who sits in the Oval.  

really? and you're not a conspiracy theorist?