• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pirates exploring deals for Andrew McCutchen

Chuck

Wonder if maybe the Angels could work themselves into being a third team in a McCutchen to the Nationals trade. Maybe with the Angels getting back Espinosa or Harrison or some Nationals pitching. Maybe Gio Gonzalez? He only has one year left, Nationals could make room for Giolito, and trading him would offset McCutchen's additional salary, allow them to continue pursuing relief help. Angels could part with a couple mid-level prospects and eat a whole bunch of salary between Harrison/Espinosa and Gonzalez. Pirates could use McCutchen's cleared salary to resign Nova if that's who they desire. Then again, the Pirates could just take Gonzalez back too. 

51 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wonder if maybe the Angels could work themselves into being a third team in a McCutchen to the Nationals trade. Maybe with the Angels getting back Espinosa or Harrison or some Nationals pitching. Maybe Gio Gonzalez? He only has one year left, Nationals could make room for Giolito, and trading him would offset McCutchen's additional salary, allow them to continue pursuing relief help. Angels could part with a couple mid-level prospects and eat a whole bunch of salary between Harrison/Espinosa and Gonzalez. Pirates could use McCutchen's cleared salary to resign Nova if that's who they desire. Then again, the Pirates could just take Gonzalez back too. 

I was thinking about this too and I have to believe it would only involve Espinosa in all likelihood. I love a big mega trade as much as the next guy and have even wrote some wild speculation trades in the past but usually simple is the easiest to execute.

I have multiple problems with this. McCutchen is coming off the worst season of his career. He is already 30, which means that there might be a brief uptick on the way down, but it won't last. The fact that the Pirates are openly shopping a player who has been their focal point and a local favorite makes me suspicious. Since they regard him as a superstar, they are likely to want superstar value in return. Trading significant talent for a 30-year-old outfielder with one year left on his deal coming off his worst season? No thanks.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I was thinking about this too and I have to believe it would only involve Espinosa in all likelihood. I love a big mega trade as much as the next guy and have even wrote some wild speculation trades in the past but usually simple is the easiest to execute.

I can't really imagine us having any propsect or player we'd part with that would help either of these teams tip the trade scale to completion though. Think we'd be there purely to eat salary and vulture off anyone 'expensive' and displaced and maybe pay up some middling prospects in order to get first dibs.