• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pirates exploring deals for Andrew McCutchen

Chuck

Would you? If so, what would it take?

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Pirates continue to explore a potential trade involving Andrew McCutchen.

In fact, Rosenthal writes that of all the big names available in trade, McCutchen "might be the most likely to go." The 30-year-old is coming off a career-worst season at the plate and advanced metrics weren't kind to him in center field, but he's owed just $14 million next season with a 14.5 million club option for 2018, so plenty of teams figure to be willing to take a chance on a turnaround. The Pirates are obviously going to ask for a major haul to give up their franchise player and could decide to hang on to him if their asking price isn't met. Rosenthal hears that the Nationals remain interested and also mentions the Rangers as a potential trade partner. Both clubs have the chips to get a deal done.

Of course I would, but I can't imagine we'd be able to come up with the best offer. As I brought up in the Harrison thread, we don't match up well with the Pirates either in terms of trade partners. I can't see the Bucs not asking for at least one of Shoemaker, Skaggs, or Bedrosian as the starting piece. I don't think Jones, Middleton, and Thaiss would even be much of an offer that another team wouldn't be willing to top. And I don't see any dead salary that we could absorb in an attempt to reduce the cost of personnel. 

Yeah obviously I've thought about how awesome it'd be to grab Cutch and Harrison in a package but again, unless Arte is willing to spend I just don't see how it's possible. 

We'd have to send over some pitchers or at least pitcher and Arte would have to be willing to spend to replace whatever we send over.

I feel like whoever that scrub OF'er we signed the other day is more of the direction we're once again headed. It'll be another year of watching other teams play for me. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Speaking of the Pirates, I'd love to swap C.J. Cron for Josh Bell to play 1B/DH. We need some lefthanded pop in our lineup. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I'd seriously consider that.

Hate to burst your guys' bubble but Cron has over his first three years been a reverse splits guy. In 2016 he ran a wRC+ of 126 versus RHP. Bell ran a wRC+ of 125 last year.

We would be trading Cron for Cron basically.

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

Hate to burst your guys' bubble but Cron has over his first three years been a reverse splits guy. In 2016 he ran a wRC+ of 126 versus RHP. Bell ran a wRC+ of 125 last year.

We would be trading Cron for a cheaper Cron who can play a couple positions basically.

Also could have more upside, while Cron gives the Pirates more of a sure thing. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Would you? If so, what would it take?

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Pirates continue to explore a potential trade involving Andrew McCutchen.

In fact, Rosenthal writes that of all the big names available in trade, McCutchen "might be the most likely to go." The 30-year-old is coming off a career-worst season at the plate and advanced metrics weren't kind to him in center field, but he's owed just $14 million next season with a 14.5 million club option for 2018, so plenty of teams figure to be willing to take a chance on a turnaround. The Pirates are obviously going to ask for a major haul to give up their franchise player and could decide to hang on to him if their asking price isn't met. Rosenthal hears that the Nationals remain interested and also mentions the Rangers as a potential trade partner. Both clubs have the chips to get a deal done.

I'm pretty confident that McCutchen is not even on the Angels radar. He's a CF and we've already picked up Maybin for LF. The one thing that the Pirates did right is that I don't see any "no trade" clause in his current deal. That's the one thing that teams should never agree to. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

It's being reported that the Pirates are looking for prospects. Seattle is in the mix for Kutch.

I am okay if Seattle acquires him.... spreading the talent level around the A.L. West is fine with me because it increases our chances of actually competing in the A.L. West in 2017 (although it will be really hard if all A.L. West teams improve significantly and we don't do anything further).

49 minutes ago, ettin said:

I am okay if Seattle acquires him.... spreading the talent level around the A.L. West is fine with me because it increases our chances of actually competing in the A.L. West in 2017 (although it will be really hard if all A.L. West teams improve significantly and we don't do anything further).

McCutchen would suck in Seattle. Please Dipoto, dump the farm for Cutch. 

McCutchen had an awesome ride as one of the best players in baseball for 4-5 years but I'm skeptical of the Angels going this route. He was pretty much worse in every imaginable regard this past season. Career worst AVG, OBP, SLG, K%, BB%, BsR, IFFB% and the list goes on. His defense rated as one of the poorest in baseball last year and even with a move to left field, he still may be a below average defender there. 

To be fair, he's dealt with injuries the past few years but at age 30, those aren't going away and that will sap his athleticism, making him much more reliant on the bat. He'll definitely bounce back some in 2017 and his Steamer projection seems fair(3.6 WAR, 129 wRC+). He's owed 28.5 million over 2 years so he's still a bargain, assuming he bounces back, but I'd be wary of answering the Buccos asking price(Shoemaker/Skaggs, Jones, Thaiss probably gets talks started). 

It wouldn't surprise me if he bounced back to a 3.5-4 WAR player in 2017 but I also wouldn't be shocked if injuries continued taking a toll on him and he's more of a 2-2.5 WAR player going forward. 

McCutchen has had one bad (really just ok) year offensively. His BABIP dropped and his strikeouts went up. He could rebound to be a phenomenal bat and top 5 player again. I don't watch many Pirates games but maybe he has an issue with his swing, being a little late on balls he used to knock to the OF. 

From 2012-2015 he was around a +157 OPS. If there is any chance he could be that guy again, and they include Harrison, I'd trade Cron, Skaggs and Top Prospects Thaiss, Ward and Jones for him. Maybe it wouldn't take all three, but I'd consider that a win.

The more I think about it, the more I want to say there is zero chance it happens. I can't think of a single scenario where it makes sense, nor any trade combination that would be realistic.

It'd have to be something crazy like Shoemaker, Cron, at least one or two of Thaiss/Jones/Middleton/Ward for some combination of Cutch, Jaso, Watson, and Harrison for the Angels to get back enough to fill other needs as well and then there'd have to be an additional trade sending Calhoun or Maybin out for a SP just to clear room in the OF or signing at least one FA SP, and probably someone in the Hammel, Nova, Hill tier.

Ultimately, you'd basically be counting on Maybin being a 4th OF - which could work but he doesn't seem ideal for that role or being worth a SP to replace Shoe. Considering we got him for Alcantara, not likely. So, you'd have to trade Kole for a SP and utilize McCutchen or Maybin in RF.

So ultimately, you're basically swapping McCutchen with Calhoun, and Shoemaker with Calhoun's trade return, likely adding salary, and losing a couple prospects, for virtually the exact same production we had. Sounds exactly like a deal Dipoto would make.