• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Overrated / Underrated

Hubs

As far as Bandy, he had a good offensive month so people are pretending like he's going to be that guy always. And we just don't know yet. Perez has just as much offensive success, (granted with a few more bad months), so why isn't he the starter?

20 hours ago, Hubs said:

This AM I started wondering which players this fanbase drastically overrates and which they underrate. I've been a die hard fan for around 20 years now, so I don't remember some of the guys like this from my youth (The 1980's) but do remember a lot of overrated or underrated Halos from the 1990's and 2000's.

Who is your most overrated current Halo? Underrated?

Who is your most overrated Halo from the Scioscia years? Underrated?

How about before that?

I'll start:

Overrated current Halo? Jett Bandy

Underrated? Jose Alvarez

Overrated Halo from the 2000's? Benji Gil or Shawn Wooten

Underrated Halo from the 2000's? Adam Kennedy or Ervin Santana

Go!

How the heck was Benji Gil overrated? I only know of one person who spoke highly of ol' Benji. He used to post here as Gil4Life10.

People loved Benji Gil, Shawn Wooten and Juan Rivera. Only Rivera was really much better than replacement level. People were advocating for Gil to get more time over Kennedy, because he supposedly fielded and hit better. That was 13 years ago though, so I doubt i can find who did it. Still, i love the overrating tendencies of this board and homer Angel fans in general, because they get attached to barely playable guys and think of them like future HOF.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:23 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Overrated - Kole Calhoun. We treat him as great, but in reality the speed and OBP just haven't transferred to the major leagues. The defense has and then some.

Underrated - Tyler Skaggs and Alex Meyer. People forget just how good these guys were as prospects. That kind of dominance isn't fleeting without injury. If healthy, they both can be #2/3 starters.

But, can Skaggs find a pick off move or at least toss one to first once in a while?....Signed Francisco Lindor and Jose Ramirez...

This is fun.

Now:

Overrated: Street; For a closer he has meh stuff and meh K/rate, but has very solid control.  I generally dislike closers in general as I feel they are overvalued.

Underrated:  Calhoun; I think in the broader national scene, Calhoun is very underappreciated.  As others have stated before, there isn't one thing he greatly excels at, but there isn't anything in his game and you look at and say that's a weakness.  114 OPS+ for career, 3 straight seasons of 3+WAR, Gold Glover last season, and his L/R splits are very close.  He's a jack of all trades player, and a type of player that is greatly undervalued.

Scioscia era.  

Overrated: Garret Anderson, where to begin with this guy.  During an elevated offensive era, he never put up an OPS over .900.  (.885 was his career high).  For a slugger, his walk rate was abysmal, hovering 3-6% with a career 4.7% walk rate without the homerun power to make up for it.  (For comparison, another slugger that many critics say didn't walk enough is Mark Trumbo.  His career walk rate is 6.7%!).  Sure he had gap power, but we're talking during an era where homeruns were plentiful.  Per baseball-reference.com's lgOPS stat, a stat that calculates the ops of a league average player in the same ballpark, Garret only had 7 seasons where his OPS was .025 higher than that stat, yet people spoke of him as some offensive force.  He was also a subpar fielder.  I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, he was.  He was a great contact hitter, but he was vastly overrated.  

Underrated: Scot Shields, didn't realize how short of a career he had.  Imagine if he pitched now with the numbers he had back then, he'd be getting closer money with multiple all-star nods and he got these numbers pitching during an elevated offensive era, which makes it even more impressive.  A shame he never got an All-Star nod, but back then people equated saves=best reliever.  

I have a hard time thinking Calhoun fits into the over or underrated category.  He's the 16th ranked OFer over the last 3 years and my eyes tell me that's pretty spot on.  

Not as good as guys in tier one like Betts, Harper, Cespedes.  But better than guys like JD Martinez, Adam Jones, Dexter Fowler and Justin Upton.  

I guess you could think of it as his offense being a bit overrated but his defense and base running are underrated.  

Current:

Over - CJ Cron.  Abysmal defense.  Power hasn't materialized like I hoped to offset his poor plate discipline.  He also completely disappears for long periods.  

Under - Simmons and it's not even close in my eyes.  

Past

Over - I know I am going to get thrashed for this, but Troy Percival.  He was a nice closer but not the uber dominant guy that he gets credit for.  

Under - Erstad.  With current emphasis on defensive metrics for outfielders he'd be much better thought of.  Plus, while I have nothing to base this on, I feel like he was one of those guys who never took steroids and played in the PED era which decreased his offense both on a relative basis and by sheer counting stats.  He also sacrificed himself for productive outs all the time.  

Azhockey makes a good point about GA. good hitter, not great. to be fair though, as good as a point you make, i think he was underrated when he played. he was never a top HR guy, and his walk rate was bad...in an era where guys were hitting 30 plus home runs easy, and the top tier guys walked a lot. anderson swung more, his game didnt translate into those skill determiners. but at his peak (which was robbed by arthritus), he was a very solid hitter, in a stadium that kills lefties.

Good point on erstad, doc. im biased because i always loved the guy. but he definetely would be more appreciated in todays era. people forget just how good of an outfielder and baserunner he was. again, playing in the juiced era, he wasnt a big slugger so he wasnt as sexy as the power guys. but he was a beast with the glove, great runner, and a great baseball iq. and as stated, he bought right in to the old sosha ball philosophy of putting the ball in play and advancing runners.

Echoing the underrating of Jose Alvarez. He had the lowest FIP on the team of qualified pitchers at 3.11 and had a quietly superb second half - a 1.77 ERA over 20.1 innings and only three walks. Part of it has been misuse, but he's had a share of bad luck too.

Nick Tropeano should be filed under the overrated column as well. Great depth piece but not convinced yet that he can be a rotation fixture. It'll be interesting to see where he figures in after TJ surgery, especially if any of Eppler's lotto picks pan out.

Currently Overrated: Nick Tropeano

Even before the injury, I wasn't convinced he'd be anything more than a serviceable #5 guy or potentially nice reliever. Mediocre command with slightly above average stuff. The fact that he had an ERA as low as he did before he got hurt this year was incredible considering how poor his peripherals were. 

Currently Underrated: Matt Shoemaker

I get the impression from a lot fans that they're still not sold on him. Fact is he's put together 2 very solid seasons in his first 3 full seasons now and probably has a few more of those left in him. With 4 years of control, he's either a nice 3/4 starter for us or a huge trade chip. The guy was dominant for 75% of 2016.

All Time Overrated: Garret Anderson

Disclaimer: I absolutely love and cherish this guy and what he did to help the Angels to their first title. That being said, he was a solid everyday regular, not a star like some fans claim he was. Guy had a career 100 wRC+ and 24 WAR, fine numbers and all but nothing extraordinary. He definitely deserves credit for his durability over his career and I appreciate him practically being a lifelong Angel but do think he's overrated. 

All Time Underrated: Howie Kendrick

Top 10 position player in Angels history and many fans wanted to label him a bust because he wasn't a perrenial super star. The guy hit well and played above average defense for about a decade and was a cog for some of the good Angels teams. His prospect status obviously enhanced his expectation level but he was a career .292/.332/.424 hitter with the Angels with good defense. 

On 12/1/2016 at 10:04 PM, Dochalo said:

I have a hard time thinking Calhoun fits into the over or underrated category.  He's the 16th ranked OFer over the last 3 years and my eyes tell me that's pretty spot on.  

Not as good as guys in tier one like Betts, Harper, Cespedes.  But better than guys like JD Martinez, Adam Jones, Dexter Fowler and Justin Upton.  

I guess you could think of it as his offense being a bit overrated but his defense and base running are underrated.  

Current:

Over - CJ Cron.  Abysmal defense.  Power hasn't materialized like I hoped to offset his poor plate discipline.  He also completely disappears for long periods.  

Under - Simmons and it's not even close in my eyes.  

Past

Over - I know I am going to get thrashed for this, but Troy Percival.  He was a nice closer but not the uber dominant guy that he gets credit for.  

Under - Erstad.  With current emphasis on defensive metrics for outfielders he'd be much better thought of.  Plus, while I have nothing to base this on, I feel like he was one of those guys who never took steroids and played in the PED era which decreased his offense both on a relative basis and by sheer counting stats.  He also sacrificed himself for productive outs all the time.  

Only two things I would somewhat disagree with are Cron and Percy.

Cron's bad stretches decreased in length in 2016, although yes his defense needs a lot of work this winter.

Percy was overpowering in his first 2-3 seasons, and then was solid to rock solid aside from a poor 2000 season.   He did bring a bulldog mentality to the mound though, very important.