• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Cespedes back to the Mets

Richard

10 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Fair deal for the Mets.  Would have loved him in LF, but it is what it is.

And is it just me, or is the offseason very quiet so far?  I wonder if a lockout is a bit reality, because it really does seem like teams are acting like it is.

If you read your Primer you'd know! :D

"It is possible too that a new CBA might temporarily delay offseason activity across all of MLB until team front offices grasp all of the details and implications that the fresh agreement contains. On the flip side teams likely have a good idea of the items being discussed and might take actions early before the new rules are put in place in anticipation of projected changes. The former seems more likely however.

What this all means in regard to team financials and the CBT is that the new CBA could have unexpected impacts which might keep it at the current $189MM level, raise it up to $200MM or more, eliminate it entirely, or even substitute it for a new system.

Because there is no way to know what will happen to the CBT, the Angels payroll budget will likely be capped at $189MM until the rules are understood and an operating budget can be firmly identified."

Just breaking balls GB :D

Smart to go higher on the AAV for a shorter deal. Surprised more teams don't do this, especially for these guys playing into their mid 30's.

Also noteworthy: Rosenthal reported the Astros made a big run at Cespedes. Adding him to that lineup would've been downright scary, although they may turn around and sign Edwin/Bautista to man 1B now. 

1 hour ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Also noteworthy: Rosenthal reported the Astros made a big run at Cespedes. Adding him to that lineup would've been downright scary, although they may turn around and sign Edwin/Bautista to man 1B now. 

Good. I want the Rangers, Astros, and Mariners to go all out and try to win in '17-'18 and blow their farm and payrolls so they can face issues when we are on the upswing.

Just now, totdprods said:

Good. I want the Rangers, Astros, and Mariners to go all out and try to win in '17-'18 and blow their farm and payrolls so they can face issues when we are on the upswing.

Pretty much how I feel. I'd be happy to see Texas sell out for Chris Sale, only to see Yu Darvish and Lucroy walk next year, leaving them with a mediocre team with no farm. Same goes for Seattle trying to push this current window with Felix and Cano. Houston is the one team to worry about since they have Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, Keuchel, McCullers, Giles, etc locked up for a while. 

27 minutes ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Pretty much how I feel. I'd be happy to see Texas sell out for Chris Sale, only to see Yu Darvish and Lucroy walk next year, leaving them with a mediocre team with no farm. Same goes for Seattle trying to push this current window with Felix and Cano. Houston is the one team to worry about since they have Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Springer, Keuchel, McCullers, Giles, etc locked up for a while. 

The Rangers also aren't that good. They were extremely lucky and they've done a number on their farm. Their farm has been overrated for sometime too.

Dipoto does a great job shuffling the deck, but he does a lot of quick fix deals without much thought to sustainability. He's a bit too much of a gambler. I think they're actually going to be really tough for a year or two because of this, but if they sustain a major injury or two, or have a big trade or signee backfire on them, things could go south real fast. 

The Astros are definitely scary, but I think their front office is extremely overrated. Most of their trades have been mixed at best, their owner has money to spend but they've been very cheap up until now, but we've seen how bad a front office can make a team by overspending to compensate for not doing so previously. I can see them being similar to the late 90's M's or the '94 Expos. One of those teams with all the promise in the world but never manage to get it all to align at once.

And never count out the A's. They're due to come out of nowhere again soon.

Fair assessment @totdprods. Your point about the Rangers is exactly why I want them to make that last move for a big name that sabotages them for years. If they trade Mazara, Profar/Gallo+top prospects for Sale and miss the playoffs next year, they're stuck with a .500 team with little to no young talent and lose Darvish/Lucroy.

Seattle is definitely a bit of a scary, albeit volatile, team for 2017. Their lineup is going to rake and with a few adds to the rotation, they could be a 90+ win team. But they're also super top heavy, are loaded with big contracts and feature a very weak farm system. I can see them going straight downhill after 2017.

Astros have put together a pretty damn solid core. I think they missed out on signing Scherzer/Lester a few years ago and now are missing that true elite ace. Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Musgrove, Morton could be a fine rotation but with their offense and bullpen, you'd hope to have a true ace. Maybe they get ballsy and bring Rich Hill on board for a few years.

Anyway you look at this, it bodes well for the Angels. 2017 probably isn't their year but starting in 2018, things will start looking up with the Rangers/M's treading downhill. Houston will be a force still but I envision the Angels being much, much more competitive from that 2018-2020 window. 

2 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Meanwhile the yacht stove is doing just fine.

image.jpeg

i know you love to blame arte, and i'm sorry to interrupt you on this, but what if cespedes didn't want to come here? what if his agent told the halos not to bother? 

it's not always the fault of the team when a player signs elsewhere, and too many people around her forget this part of the equation far, FAR too many times.

25 minutes ago, Tank said:

i know you love to blame arte, and i'm sorry to interrupt you on this, but what if cespedes didn't want to come here? what if his agent told the halos not to bother? 

it's not always the fault of the team when a player signs elsewhere, and too many people around her forget this part of the equation far, FAR too many times.

I was being sarcastic but you bring up a good point. Cespedes probably wants nothing to do with Anaheim. The Mets are a contender "Big Apple" and he probably doesn't want to wait to compete. Besides Arte is not ready to hand out another big contract.

34 minutes ago, Tank said:

Tank I think you have Claude mistaken for someone else.