• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels in on Turner!?!?!?!?!

Erstad Grit

7 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Dave Vassegh  who is creditable tweeted "Talked to multiple sources that have told me Angels are interested in Justin Turner."

If this happened (I say hell yes) would we trade Escobar for a piece or move him to 2b/1b/dh?

Embed the tweet so I can see the timestamp of this rumor. 

17 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Perfect time for Arte to rejoin the free agent game. Now if only Cespedes opts out Arte will be in heaven with the chance to significantly overpay for TWO 31+ year olds during the same off season!

He did opt out.  Also please give me the long list of free agents that hit the market before turning 30.  

Shorter term deal with a higher average annual value seems like the best bet if they are, in fact, interested in Turner. 

It would take quite a bit of spending on Arte's part, but if they signed Turner, flipped Yunel for anything (which would also free up $7 million), flipped Skaggs for Hernandez, signed a Jason Hammel type of SP, and utilized the Rule V/smaller free agent deals to fill out the bullpen and bench (team still really needs a 4th outfielder), that would make for one hell of a lineup (particularly, one hell of an infield, minus a franchise catcher). That front 6 could be as strong as anyone aside from the Cubs. 

1. Hernandez 2B

2. Trout CF

3. Turner 3B

4. Pujols DH

5. Calhoun RF

6. Cron 1B

7. Maybin LF

8. Bandy/Perez C

9. Simmons SS 

Turner would be an awesome add. If he gets a 4/80 deal, there's a chance for some real surplus value. Steamer projects him to have a 3.7 WAR season in 2017, which could be selling him short considering he's averaged 4.3 WAR the past 3 years and just posted a 5.6 WAR season. Let's say he posts a 4 WAR season in 2017, then loses half a win per year over the course of the deal. 1 win on the FA market costs about 8 mil right now so lets do the math.

2017: 4 WAR(32 million dollars of value)

2018: 3.5 WAR(28 million dollars of value)

2019: 3 WAR(24 million dollars of value)

2020: 2.5 WAR(20 million dollars of value)

That puts you at 4 years/104 million dollars. I'd say there's zero chance he gets 100 million dollars unless some team gives him a 5th year and just loves the guy. Even if you think those projections are too optimistic, you're still looking at a 4/80 deal being a good value deal. Sure, Turner doesn't put the Angels over the top by himself but if he takes them from a fringe 82-84 win contender to a 85-87 win contender, that puts the Angels in legitimate WC contention. If you move Escobar as salary relief, you can use that money to sign a cheap 2B(Drew, Utley, Coghlan, Valbuena) and the lineup is looking really good. 

1. Calhoun RF

2. Trout CF

3. Turner 3B

4. Pujols DH

5. Cron 1B

6. Drew/Utley/Coghlan/Valbuena 2B

7. Maybin LF

8. Simmons SS

9. Bandy/Perez C

Sign me up for that lineup. FWIW, I highly doubt the Angels sign Turner so this is probably wishful thinking. Eppler probably plays it safe and signs a cheap 2B, another starter/reliever and a 4th OFer. 

49 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

Shorter term deal with a higher average annual value seems like the best bet if they are, in fact, interested in Turner. 

It would take quite a bit of spending on Arte's part, but if they signed Turner, flipped Yunel for anything (which would also free up $7 million), flipped Skaggs for Hernandez, signed a Jason Hammel type of SP, and utilized the Rule V/smaller free agent deals to fill out the bullpen and bench (team still really needs a 4th outfielder), that would make for one hell of a lineup (particularly, one hell of an infield, minus a franchise catcher). That front 6 could be as strong as anyone aside from the Cubs. 

1. Hernandez 2B

2. Trout CF

3. Turner 3B

4. Pujols DH

5. Calhoun RF

6. Cron 1B

7. Maybin LF

8. Bandy/Perez C

9. Simmons SS 

Pretty solid.

21 hours ago, Rico said:

Beltre was 32 when he signed with the Rangers.

And oh, what a chain of events that set into motion.  Other than Escobar's BA and OBP last year we still haven't recovered at 3B.  Don't let it happen again, Arte.

For the record, I was one of the idiots who was glad when we didn't sign Beltre.  

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

And oh, what a chain of events that set into motion.  Other than Escobar's BA and OBP last year we still haven't recovered at 3B.  Don't let it happen again, Arte.

For the record, I was one of the idiots who was glad when we didn't sign Beltre.  

Me too.  I don't know if I was jaded because he used to be a Dodger.  I think it was because I didn't really understand advanced stats so I see a bunch of mediocre years in Seattle and then he seemed to play well in two contract years.  I think I was just thinking the guy was a selfish player.  Plus he had an amazing last year with the Dodgers that I was sure he was a PED guy.  

23 hours ago, Rico said:

Beltre was 32 when he signed with the Rangers.

Beltre has been getting a TUE for testosterone since getting smashed in the nads -- you can't use him as an example of anything other than the impact of PEDs.  We missed the boat sure, but he's not someone people should point to as why the team should take a risk on an older player... not unless the player in question will also be able to take testosterone.

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

My memory of it has us unwilling to go 6 years, Texas offered 6 years, we lost.  

Your memory is correct.  the problem is we do not know if Beltre would have accepted six year offer from us.  who knows maybe a Texas offers seven years.  we just don't know.

28 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

But they didn't play college ball up the freeway in Fullerton. :)

turner_justin00.html_fsere.jpeg?max_widt

Forget the stats, money, and needs of the team. 

Do not sign that guy. that picture is a mix of gary busey, the weird guy from the movie contact, and the bad guy from poltergeist 2. maybe even a little of the owner of the double duece from road house.