• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mariners and D-Backs swap Walker-Segura + others

Second Base

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/diamondbacks-acquire-taijuan-walker-ketel-marte-from-mariners.html?fv-home=true&post-id=78068

Pretty big trade just happened. I would have loved to see the Angels acquire Jean Segura for 2B, but doubt we could afford the cost. I think the D-Backs came out a little ahead but would like to hear your thoughts.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Segura had 41 doubles and 20 homers last season.

Segura had 30 doubles and 11 homes combined for 2014 & 2015. 

Doubtful he'll come close to his 2016 numbers playing in Seattle. 

I have no idea what he will do next season, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt the last couple of seasons, he was dealing with the death of his child.  I don't ever want to know how that affects every aspect of life.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea what he will do next season, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt the last couple of seasons, he was dealing with the death of his child.  I don't ever want to know how that affects every aspect of life.  

it's also not the first all star year he's had.

4 hours ago, cezero said:

walker is a headcase. completely loses it when a teammate commits an error that causes an inning to extend. he also seems to unravel when somebody hits what he thinks was a great pitch. when everything is going perfect, he can be amazing at times, but anything else is just waiting for the wheels to fall off. 

You just described John Lackey 2003-2004.   He still does all the other crap but he stopped completely unraveling in 2005.

6 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Pretty big trade just happened. I would have loved to see the Angels acquire Jean Segura for 2B, but doubt we could afford the cost. I think the D-Backs came out a little ahead but would like to hear your thoughts.

Meh, JD is trying to make the most out of the M's current window with Cano, Cruz et al..  if he gets them into the postseason after all these years that's all anyone will care about.  Long term... if Haniger proves to be more than a 4th OFer I think Seattle makes out ok.   There is some upside there but they seem to have sold low and bought high as a whole.  

Mostly it will be interesting to see how he follows this up.  I doubt he is willing to go into next season having to rely on James Paxton to stay healthy.  Say what you will about JD, he always has a plan of some kind so its a pretty safe bet more is coming.

As a side note.  Marte, Miller, Taylor -- all gone within 12 months.  There was a lot of talk in prospect circles about the M's depth at SS (they had Nick Franklin too), but outside of Miller we haven't seen much out of them.  A good reminder of how volatile the prospect game can be.

10 minutes ago, Taggart said:

i'll always wonder what if with segura, but getting greinke was a must and great deal for the push.

I thought it was a bad deal that had no impact on the ultimate outcome of the season.  Short sighted trades like helped create the problems the Angels have today.

55 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I thought it was a bad deal that had no impact on the ultimate outcome of the season.  Short sighted trades like helped create the problems the Angels have today.

it's been debated and beaten to hell and back many times over, so i don't care to get into it again.

but that club was built to be better and with weavers 20 win season, greinke and him were a great 1-2 punch for the playoffs. cj, erv, and harden were also respectable or at least talented enough to be called upon.

just came up short.

28 minutes ago, Taggart said:

it's been debated and beaten to hell and back many times over, so i don't care to get into it again.

but that club was built to be better and with weavers 20 win season, grinch and him were a great 1-2 punch for the playoffs. cj, erv, and harden were also respectable or at least talented enough to be called upon.

just came up short.

Yep.  

Weaver, Greinke, Haren, CJ and Erv, that's a great rotation.  

8 hours ago, Lou said:

correct. he made the AS team in 2003.

after the AS break, however, he had an ops of .583 

2013, but true enough. my point was that he's had very good years in the past, so this isn't a true breakout year. although it is possible that it shows an unpredictability with his performance expectations. he could be one of those weird dudes like kelly johnson, and others, who can have an all star year or hit 200, depending on god knows what.

if that's the case, then paying for one of his good years was rather stupid.