• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lockout On The Table As CBA Nears Expiration

Robrock30

Major League Baseball’s owners “will consider” instituting a player lockout if a new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the MLB Player’s Association can’t be found, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The current CBA is set to expire on December 1st, and the sides are said to be at an impasse over several matters.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/labor-peace-lockout-collective-bargaining-agreement-owners-players-baseball-112216

A lockout would put baseball’s business on hold, delaying free-agent signings and trades until a new agreement is reached. The winter meetings, a joint venture between the majors and minors scheduled to take place from Dec. 4 to 8 near Washington D.C., might still transpire, but without the usual frenzy of major-league activity.

The owners offered to resolve two of the biggest issues by offering a straight exchange, telling the players they would eliminate direct draft-pick compensation in free agency in exchange for the right to implement an international draft, sources said. The players, however, rejected the proposal, wanting no part of an international draft.

Some, however, say that an international draft would be difficult to implement due to the large number of countries involved, and create other problems.

A source on the players’ side said that the remaining issues are “nothing that reasonable and creative people can’t resolve.” A player involved with the negotiations agreed, but said that if pushed, the union “will fight.”

So the big issue seems to be the international draft.  Which is really a screwed up system as is anyways.  Go back to 50 rounds, but make it can be signed from anywhere, and have one draft.  Anyone not drafted is a FA and can sign wherever.  Make the rules like any american high schooler.  They can get drafted but opt for college/Japanese league/whatever.  It's up to the teams to determine what they want to risk on wasting a pick, or missing out on a player.

19 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So the big issue seems to be the international draft.  Which is really a screwed up system as is anyways.  Go back to 50 rounds, but make it can be signed from anywhere, and have one draft.  Anyone not drafted is a FA and can sign wherever.  Make the rules like any american high schooler.  They can get drafted but opt for college/Japanese league/whatever.  It's up to the teams to determine what they want to risk on wasting a pick, or missing out on a player.

seems to be a good idea superficially. i think it's a lot more complex than that, but i'm mostly ambivalent to it anyway.

This is just jockeying for position.  One side swears they'll go to a lockout if they don't get their way so that they can scare the other side into giving in.  The other side threatens the same.  Inevitably, both parties leave the table feeling like they got screwed and vow not to budge next time. 

This is the nature of negotiating. 

MLB seems to be doing well. Attendance at most parks is up and TV deals both local and national are lucrative.

The Yankees and the Dodgers (Red Sox too?) have their own networks with media rights revenue keeping them flush.

But don't be misled -- MLB may be on the precipice -- fewer kids are signing up for Little League these days -- and for advanced junior ball past little league -- heck the league in our area had only TWO teams in their league (Babe Ruth League baseball) which means the two teams played each other all season.......there used to be two different leagues with about six teams each.

if kids are not playing baseball and signing up for Little League -- well, it means in 7 to 10 years, those same kids won't be going to MLB games or watching them on TV.

I don't think MLB can handle another strike / lock out --

6 minutes ago, disarcina said:

MLB seems to be doing well. Attendance at most parks is up and TV deals both local and national are lucrative.

The Yankees and the Dodgers (Red Sox too?) have their own networks with media rights revenue keeping them flush.

Problem is, you have the rich.  You have the middle class.  And you have the poor.  Then you have the Padres and Braves. 

Those poor teams are going to be a problem, because they won't be as willing to grow the game as those flush with cash. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

This is just jockeying for position.  One side swears they'll go to a lockout if they don't get their way so that they can scare the other side into giving in.  The other side threatens the same.  Inevitably, both parties leave the table feeling like they got screwed and vow not to budge next time. 

This is the nature of negotiating. 

this is definitely not the nature of negotiating.

50 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Problem is, you have the rich.  You have the middle class.  And you have the poor.  Then you have the Padres and Braves. 

Those poor teams are going to be a problem, because they won't be as willing to grow the game as those flush with cash. 

you forgot the 50 feet of shit, then the A's.

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

But don't be misled -- MLB may be on the precipice -- fewer kids are signing up for Little League these days -- and for advanced junior ball past little league -- heck the league in our area had only TWO teams in their league (Babe Ruth League baseball) which means the two teams played each other all season.......there used to be two different leagues with about six teams each.

if kids are not playing baseball and signing up for Little League -- well, it means in 7 to 10 years, those same kids won't be going to MLB games or watching them on TV.

I don't think MLB can handle another strike / lock out --

trump's going to save mlb.

#makebaseballgreatagain

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don't know if any of you were at the stadium last lock out ... it got pretty ugly. Fans were throwing all kinds of crap onto the field. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Angel fans saved the 2002 season by delaying the last game of the day.  I think they threw batteries on the field.  

I think it was Brendan Donnelly who almost got hit by a foul ball that got thrown back onto the field by some fan above the press box. It was inches away from his face and could have really hurt him. 

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Obviously you've never negotiated.  And I will not negotiate on the amount you've negotiated.  There are no negotiations about your lack of negotiating. 

no problem, hearing about me and my stories isn't really all that pertinent.

what i'd like to talk about is your goals and what you hope to achieve.

let me ask you a direct question, what would you like to get out of this conversation?

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

no problem, hearing about me and my stories isn't really all that pertinent.

what i'd like to talk about is your goals and what you hope to achieve.

let me ask you a direct question, what would you like to get out of this conversation?

See Texas Rangers' Hazing thread..........