• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How come not many people talk about the need for speed the Angels have?

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:17 PM, eaterfan said:

Speed on the basepaths is nice, but it's of secondary importance. The name of the game is getting outs on defense and preventing them and hitting for power on offense. 20 stolen bases is only 20 more extra base hits over a season as far as total bases go. A guy who hits 40 doubles and steals no bases compares to a guy who hits 20 and steals 20 bases (roughly). 

Focusing on guys who steal bases instead of hitting and playing defense is like trying focusing on outfielders who have great arms instead of ones that cover a lot of ground and hit. A big arm is a nice tool but not as valuable as the other things.

That's actually an interesting take on it, and a very good one actually. Speed is pretty exciting but like you said, its just an extra base which really isn't much of a difference than hitting for more bases. I do think however, you're underestimating the other effects of speed... being able to score from 2nd, forcing the defense to make an out, situational base running options, and even the ability to cover more ground on the defensive side. Speed wouldn't turn the team around but we can look no further than the Royals to see that it can play a pretty big part in a team's success. Of course having a lockdown pen helps too lol

On 11/17/2016 at 4:00 PM, Hubs said:

Yeah, um no.

Eric Young Jr. is not his father. He has 13 hits combined in the last two seasons. I am sure if they wanted a late inning pinch runner, there is someone named Kaleb Cowart on the roster. He's incredibly fast.

If they got a 2B who could steal bags, they will be fine. Hernandez fits. Maybin is fast. Simmons is going to get you 10 bags per year, maybe more. And 

If they need a 4th OF who can play all three spots and steal bases, Peter Bourjos is available.

Peter Bourjos, with all of his speed, is a poor base stealer. As another member stated, you can't steal 1st, so a 4th outfielder that can't get on base is of little impact on the bases.

2 hours ago, marcosantinia12 said:

That's actually an interesting take on it, and a very good one actually. Speed is pretty exciting but like you said, its just an extra base which really isn't much of a difference than hitting for more bases. I do think however, you're underestimating the other effects of speed... being able to score from 2nd, forcing the defense to make an out, situational base running options, and even the ability to cover more ground on the defensive side. Speed wouldn't turn the team around but we can look no further than the Royals to see that it can play a pretty big part in a team's success. Of course having a lockdown pen helps too lol

I'm not disagreeing with you and the Royals are kind of an example but I find them to be more of an example of how important defense is. In my post I specifically say how important defense is and speed is a big part of that. I was just responding to the OP and in his post he specifically says that other people are focusing on defense but we should be focusing on speed on the basepaths. He seems to be more focused on SBs than just straight baserunning, but unlike the defensive aspect he doesn't specifically exclude it from what the Angels should focus on. I disagree and think defense should certainly be a big factor and bigger than speed on the basepaths. 

Once again, I think speed on the bases is great, but over the course of a season premier player steals 30 bases. A decent base stealer might steal 15. The fact is you're better off with a guy who hits 5 more home runs and 10 more doubles. It's nice that the speed guy scores from second, but honestly, unless you're Bengie Molina or Albert Pujols slow, most players are scoring on most base hits. The speed guy may score a few more times than the slow guy over the course of the season because of speed, but the power guy will knock in a few more guys with doubles and HRs than the speed guy will with singles. Empirical evidence has shown that it doesn't just balance out but over the course of a season the power guy will knock in more runs than the speed guy will score.

On November 19, 2016 at 5:13 AM, California Cajun said:

Does Albert get surgery and rehab every off-season for the plantar fascitis?  

No he's a really tough guy that always waits 5 months in to the season for his foot to fix itself so he doesn't need the surgery. Oh and that usually happens in September when we're 15-20 games back. 

3 hours ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

I mean a hitting coach is to help hitters finding their stroke back, in fact a hitting coach for Pujols for instance during his first decade in baseball would have been useless,  these days probably Pujols needs a hitting coach... A good one! 

His bat speed has slowed down quite a bit although he would never admit it. I don't think Pujols would pay much attention to any hitting coach. 

• 2 months later...

I'd buy into the argument of having power guys over speed guys if we didnt have so many night games in Anaheim. We were next to last in HRs last year and 3rd from the bottom in slugging. Look where we ended up. We aren't a power club, either.

Speed is easier to find than guys who hit lots of HRs in Anaheim. Speed puts pressure on defenses. Speed closes defensive gaps. I think we've increased our speed somewhat this year. Maybin/Revere and even Espinosa is faster than our previous LF/2nd base options from last year.

It's not easy finding guys who can hit 5-10 more HRs when they move to Anaheim. I have asked this before and cant remember if it got an answer. Has any slugger (let's say a guy who hit 30hrs or more the previous season) we signed or traded for ever hit MORE HRs the year they arrived in Anaheim. I cant recall one. People hit fewer HRs when they arrive in Anaheim.

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Nothing is wrong with speed guys. I like the speed guys we got over the offseason.

This is more about the OP bragging about us signing Eric Young Jr.

Lets not act like Eric Young Jr. is a speed guy to brag about. He's not a good baseball player.

I wasnt really addressing the OP. I thought that too ludicrous to address.

It was others who are, in effect saying, "develop power over speed". Easier said than done in Anaheim.

I sometimes wonder where the Angels seasonal HR record of 47, by Glaus, stacks up against the seasonal records from other clubs. I suspect we may be down on the list. Cant find that stat easily. It's somewhat anecdotal to the discussion but power hitters DIE in Anaheim.

Imagine Trout at Camden or Wrigley or Coors Field. OMG, he'd hit 50 lasers a year, easy.

28 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I wasnt really addressing the OP. I thought that too ludicrous to address.

It was others who are, in effect saying, "develop power over speed". Easier said than done in Anaheim.

I sometimes wonder where the Angels seasonal HR record of 47, by Glaus, stacks up against the seasonal records from other clubs. I suspect we may be down on the list. Cant find that stat easily. It's somewhat anecdotal to the discussion but power hitters DIE in Anaheim.

Imagine Trout at Camden or Wrigley or Coors Field. OMG, he'd hit 50 lasers a year, easy.

Power isn't just HRs, just like speed isn't just stolen bases.

Anaheim does drain power, but it's not like it's Petco or AT&T park. Pointing out the Angels lack of power and blaming it on the stadium isn't really fair. They might not hit a lot of HRs because they don't have a lot of HR hitters outside of 3 or 4 guys.

Agreed. But speed is easier to develop than power. And it's generally cheaper.

Another benefit of improving the farm system is.........younger players tend to have speed. Speedy players tend to be better, defensively.

I DO feel the need for speed on this team. 

Besides, speed is more exciting than waiting for a HR in Anaheim. I dont care if chicks dig the long ball. Stretching singles into doubles and doubles into triples, or scoring from second on a throw to the plate is more exciting than the HR.

20 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I'm confused. Why are you so high on a 32 year old replacement player who has put up a 2.7 career WAR and a .314 OBP with no power?

Am I missing something here?

WAR is a non-stat you can not measure a player with that. of course I understand EY isn't even an average mlb player right now but things could change.