• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How come not many people talk about the need for speed the Angels have?

I see a lot of people talk about our 2B and LF situation but to me instead of defense we need speed in the base-path, it's just terrible having your stolen base leader batting on the 3rd spot and to add to this disgrace you have the second best in stolen bases stock at 1/3 of what the stolen base leader of our team stole.

I say gamble at Eric Young jr, he has speed to burn and will be very cheap and of course willing to perform.

21 minutes ago, LegendaryPujols#5 said:

I see a lot of people talk about our 2B and LF situation but to me instead of defense we need speed in the base-path, it's just terrible having your stolen base leader batting on the 3rd spot and to add to this disgrace you have the second best in stolen bases stock at 1/3 of what the stolen base leader of our team stole.

I say gamble at Eric Young jr, he has speed to burn and will be very cheap and of course willing to perform.

I agree with you that there is a need for speed. But first, I think you need a manager willing to give a player the green light. Scioscia likes the first to third methodology of running, which is great. He's aggressive in that manner. But he doesn't subscribe to base stealing ideologies. 

Yeah, um no.

Eric Young Jr. is not his father. He has 13 hits combined in the last two seasons. I am sure if they wanted a late inning pinch runner, there is someone named Kaleb Cowart on the roster. He's incredibly fast.

If they got a 2B who could steal bags, they will be fine. Hernandez fits. Maybin is fast. Simmons is going to get you 10 bags per year, maybe more. And 

If they need a 4th OF who can play all three spots and steal bases, Peter Bourjos is available.

Speed on the basepaths is nice, but it's of secondary importance. The name of the game is getting outs on defense and preventing them and hitting for power on offense. 20 stolen bases is only 20 more extra base hits over a season as far as total bases go. A guy who hits 40 doubles and steals no bases compares to a guy who hits 20 and steals 20 bases (roughly). 

Focusing on guys who steal bases instead of hitting and playing defense is like trying focusing on outfielders who have great arms instead of ones that cover a lot of ground and hit. A big arm is a nice tool but not as valuable as the other things.

8 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Speed on the basepaths is nice, but it's of secondary importance. The name of the game is getting outs on defense and preventing them and hitting for power on offense. 20 stolen bases is only 20 more extra base hits over a season as far as total bases go. A guy who hits 40 doubles and steals no bases compares to a guy who hits 20 and steals 20 bases (roughly). 

Focusing on guys who steal bases instead of hitting and playing defense is like trying focusing on outfielders who have great arms instead of ones that cover a lot of ground and hit. A big arm is a nice tool but not as valuable as the other things.

A fast guy can get from second to home plate easily, Ortiz or even my man Pujols wouldn't make it that easy. 

8 hours ago, CALZONE said:

If you're on base behind Mr. Plantars Fasciitis it's.....

image.jpeg

Pujols isn't that slow he's our fifth best base stealer and guess what, he's was never caught stealing last season... Remember we could have ended up with Prince Fielder as many fans suggested in the LA message boards.  I wonder what they are thinking now. 

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I agree with you that there is a need for speed. But first, I think you need a manager willing to give a player the green light. Scioscia likes the first to third methodology of running, which is great. He's aggressive in that manner. But he doesn't subscribe to base stealing ideologies. 

He did when we had Figgins.  

It's more important to have guys that get on base, not guys who steal bases. Stolen bases are down league-wide, so it's not a pressing issue that will make or break this team.

You need guys like Escobar in terms of getting on base, but the anti-Escobar once they get on.

If you can get stolen bases out of whatever guy that is, it's a bonus, but as the old adage tells us, "you can't steal first base."

No EY, Jr. His day has passed.