• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jesse Chavez

Troll Daddy

18 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

There's no way Eppler heads into 2016 with Maybin penciled in as the only LF option.  Normally, this alternative would be Marte, but Eppler already made it clear he feels Marte is best suited for corner infield.  Shane Robinson is out of the picture, as is Ortega.  All that's left is Choi, and again, he doesn't fit the profile.  If we're looking for a lefty swinging backup, there are some options.  Chris Coghlan, Jon Jay and if you want to be super creative, Eric Thames, coming off three ridiculous, monster years in the KBO. 

Yeah I figured we were in the market regardless, but this confirms it. It wouldn't have surprised me if they had just rolled into '17 with Ortega as the 4th guy, given how we've handled OF over the last three seasons. 

Eric Thames would be fun. He's apparently getting a lot of interest. Hah, his '15 line - .381/.497/.790/1.288 with 42 2B, 47 HR, 140 RBI, 40 SB, all while looking like this: AEN20150318004151315_01_i.jpg

Awesome.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, it should be noted that Thames is clearly either taking steroids our found himself a pretty intense workout regimen.  Because watching video of him in the KBO reminds me of watching Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa. Looks like Captain America. 

i just saw the photo before even reading your comment, and it's hard to disagree. now, i'm torn.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

A $5.75-$9m deal over one year isn't that big of a concern. Fletch just tweeted he estimates Angels are around $163m payroll. Current luxury tax threshold is $189. Could go up by 12/2 though, he even floated $201m as a theoretical. This is further proof that Eppler is setting himself up to be opportunistic if a big purchase comes along.

If it does goes that high, I doubt they go crazy, but $3m in incentives doesn't become that important, especially on a one-year deal.

My soon-to-be-release Primer table has us at about $168M but it is a conservative number so I suspect it is closer to Jeff's number. I used very conservative Benefits numbers and assumed the MLB League minimum salary would be $530,000 in 2017 so mine might be a little high (or if the new CBA bumps the minimum salary higher I might be "more" right).

It is almost assuredly in that mid $160's range.

Chavez is the definition of a #5/swingman type, which makes $5.75M seem a bit steep, at least per annum. Maybe Eppler paid a bit more for a single year rather than 2/$9M. Chavez is basically the guy who will fill in as needed, and is really only a placeholder until Heaney and Tropeano are back.

It does make me think the Angels won't be going after Hellickson or Hill, probably not even Cashner or Anderson. But didn't Eppler say something about signing two starters?

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Chavez is the definition of a #5/swingman type, which makes $5.75M seem a bit steep, at least per annum. Maybe Eppler paid a bit more for a single year rather than 2/$9M. Chavez is basically the guy who will fill in as needed, and is really only a placeholder until Heaney and Tropeano are back.

It does make me think the Angels won't be going after Hellickson or Hill, probably not even Cashner or Anderson. But didn't Eppler say something about signing two starters?

He did, and this is definitely the first one. I imagine the second will also be someone similar who could slot into the rotation or relief (Fister?) as well. If you have limited money to spend and a need for guys in both the rotation and the pen, makes sense to go after two guys who could do either. If the offseason rolls along and Volquez or Cashner or Anderson wind up still available and having to take lesser deals, you can still slot Chavez (and whomever) into the pen. 

I like it.  Leaves us some flexibility for a bigger piece.  Jansen, I hope.  I hope we don't overpay for an aging Neil Walker, perhaps Philly will move on Cesar Hernandez now that they have Kendrick.

As for the reserve OF spot, how about a Peter Bourjos reunion?  He played a lot of RF with Philadelphia, so he has experience in all three OF spots, and should come cheaply enough. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Hard to say what I'd want in a 4th OF until I see what they do at 2B - what type of player they acquire, and what he costs.

I want a 4th outfielder that can play all three outfield positions, with a strong enough arm to play right field.  I want them to be able to situational hit.  Can get a bunt down and can pinch run.  Basically I want Bourjos. 

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

my ideal 4th OFer would be someone with tremendous speed and defensive skill.  

That's more or less what I would prefer too, and the likeliest route. But if our 2B winds up being an all-glove, no bat guy, epsecially one that hits right-handed, my preference tilts more towards a 4th OF who hits left/switch who has more offensive clout to their game. Of course, 4th OF skills like speed, ability to play all three, defense all still would count, but our starting OF defense would be good enough that  I may prioritize that spot on the bench as someone who could be just as good of a pinch-hitter as a defensive replacement. If that 2B is also someone cheap, then I may spend a little heavier and try and nab a vet 4th OF who arguably could be a starting OF, even if means overpaying slightly for that role. 

If we acquire a 2B who is basically a converted SS - such as Cosart - that also opens up the bench to potentially carrying an extra bat. In that case you could look to bring in a big bat costlier COF type, like Brandon Moss, and then still have a spot for a cheap guy who is there purely for speed and defense. If we sign Walker, an expensive lefty with a big bat, I'm all for a right-handed, defense-heavy 4th OF with speed.

As of right now I think Calhoun and Cliff are the only dudes who hit LH/SH on the 25-man, with Choi, Cowart, and Navarro as our depth in that regard.

5 hours ago, Mark68 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say: Hammel, Ziegler, Valbuena, Pagan should all be targets. Whichever of them signs first will determine who is realistic after that.

Ziegler would be great. Hammel is probably going to be far too expensive and lengthy to gamble on. Valbuena is one of my favorites as well, but it seems unlikely he's much of a 2B anymore, even less likely if they're focusing on someone there with plus defense. Pagan would be a great 4th OF/Maybin compliment should he be willing to take that role.