• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

DiSar going back to Boston

totdprods

If they're going to hire someone to take DiSar's place, I hope they make it a former Angel player. Someone like Grich, Salmon, Erstad, etc. When Mike Scioscia was hired years ago he brought in mostly X- Dodger players as his coaches and that really disappointed me. I know over the years, Bobby Knopp, Rod Carew, & DiSarcina have been on the Angels staff for short periods of time. So I think now is a good time to hire a former Angel player or two and bring back a little tradition to this team. No more Hatcher's or Belcher's (sp).

On 11/11/2016 at 2:03 PM, fanfromday1 said:

I know over the years, Bobby Knopp, Rod Carew, & DiSarcina have been on the Angels staff for short periods of time. So I think now is a good time to hire a former Angel player or two and bring back a little tradition to this team. No more Hatcher's or Belcher's (sp).

Knoop was around for 15+ years  Carew for 9, so it was more than a short time for both of those guys -- they were pretty much mainstays...    I'd love to see Bobby Grich come on as a full time coach.  I know he's a part of the Angels family and does a lot of events, so maybe it's a case of his just never having wanted the grind of being a MLB coach, but he has over the years helped guys end slumps and if there was ever a guy who had a fire for the game it was Grich...   Chili Davis and Bobby Grich have long been my favorite targets for future coaches.   Langston might be another guy who could make that jump to coaching.   I'm betting Salmon goes into coaching once his kids are out of school.

DiSAR has been Yo-Yo like between the BoSox organization and the Halos organization.

Obviously, I am a huge DiSAR fan dating back to when the Halos had that huge lead in the AL West - 1995? -- and DiSar went down with injury and the team went South. (We came back for that one game playoff in Seattle Kingdome that did not go well for us).  Back in those days, DiSar was guy with decent stats, not really that great of a defensive SS -- I mean he wasn't O-Cab or Aybar -- but not bad either -he was above average and the most important feature he brought was that when his name was penciled into the Halos line up - the Halos won.

Having said all this -- as Halos fans know, DiSar was perhaps one of the worst Third Base coaches of all time.  In a year AFTER the "Posey Rule" of not allowing catchers to block home plate anymore (think of Mike Scioscia in his hey-day behind the dish with the Dodgers -- he played catcher like a linebacker) -- the 'Posey Rule" translates into MAJOR ADVANTAGE BASE RUNNER rounding third trying to score -- and the year after that rule with DiSar manning third base coaching box -- Halos have MORE guys thrown out at the plate than I can ever remember -- TWO YEARS IN A ROW!!

So they move DiSar over to first base coach -- and while fewer mistakes made there (by virtue of less opportunity to make mistakes) DiSar not stellar there either.

Usually third base coaches become managers. I once saw DiSar as a future manager of the Halos -- at this point after his experience as a Halos base coach, third and first base, I really don't see DiSar managing anywhere in MLB. 

That's hard for me to say about the guy whose name inserted into the Halos  starting line up led to victories.

On November 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM, fanfromday1 said:

If they're going to hire someone to take DiSar's place, I hope they make it a former Angel player. Someone like Grich, Salmon, Erstad, etc. When Mike Scioscia was hired years ago he brought in mostly X- Dodger players as his coaches and that really disappointed me. I know over the years, Bobby Knopp, Rod Carew, & DiSarcina have been on the Angels staff for short periods of time. So I think now is a good time to hire a former Angel player or two and bring back a little tradition to this team. No more Hatcher's or Belcher's (sp).

the former Halos haven't been anything to write home about either. 

you can include Don Baylor on that list.

the only one I'd like to see (of those with experience) is Chili Davis.