• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How about Morales for 1B?

Chuck

Just now, Scotty@AW said:

I'd love to see Kendrys back with the Angels, and he fits the profile of a player Eppler would be looking for. He's a lock for .280 and 25 HR's I think. But Cron just doesn't have the trade value to make it happen. If he stays healthy, I think Cron can put up a similar number, but teams won't deal much for him just yet.

Cron always has either a prolonged injury or slump for him to reach 30 HR, 100 RBI..

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Welcome back Jered Weaver and Jhoulys Chacin! You're all we can afford for pitching!

We just need to add one arm. I think Hill, Hellickson or someone along those lines. I don't believe Hill or Hellickson are going to break the bank. 

Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco is pretty set right now. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cron always has either a prolonged injury or slump for him to reach 30 HR, 100 RBI..

He was right on pace for something close to that until he got hit by that pitch. 

Would you rather deal him this year for a middling return, or give him one more year for a Trumbo-esque return? It's worth the gamble.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

We just need to add one arm. I think Hill, Hellickson or someone along those lines. I don't believe Hill or Hellickson are going to break the bank. 

Richards, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco is pretty set right now. 

Rosenthal reported one GM guessed Nova could get as high 5/75. I can't see Hellickson getting any less than 4/64, and I actually think he will get close to Chen's 5/75. Pitching market will be crazy. 

I think Eppler is putting high priority on short-term contracts. I don't think Nova or Hellickson are likely. I think guys like Hammel and Volquez are more likely. Hill might be, but I'd hope any Hill signing comes with some legit pen improvements, because his fragility is very concerning, especially for a staff as bereft with injuries as the Angels.

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'll need one more year before I come into agreement with a statement like that. In all fairness, we probably would've said the same about Howie after his first two or three years in the majors. He was either always hurt, or up there flailing at off speed pitches low and away.

50 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I like it Chuck! We need some lefties/switch hitters in the lineup! Plus Line up flexibility that supports a run production offense!

I would bring in not only Morales (Switch hitter) but also Reddick and keep Maybin as the 4th OF bring in Weiters also due to his Switch hitting ability. I would then sign Justin Turner. Then yeah we can sign Aybar for 2B.. Deal Cron, Escobar and Perez for some kids or arms!

1. Calhoun - RF

2.  Trout - CF

3.   Reddick - LF

4. AP #5 - DH

5. Turner - 3B

6.   Morales - 1B

7.  Weiters - C

8.  Simmons - SS

9. Aybar - 2B

Bench: Maybin, Marte, Bandy, Pennington, _________

The bench already looks better and you have some flexibility for days off and switch position players around as all the OF can play each spot. Same for Aybar/Pennington up the middle and Marte can break your corners and LF....

Forget about Reddick , we have Maybin now!

6 minutes ago, jgimondo said:

Forget about Reddick , we have Maybin now!

Maybin's his $9m dollar 4th OF.

I hope Eppler keeps his eyes on Saunders though. I could see him becoming this year's Fowler, where no one really offers up anything close to what he hopes for and he settles on a big one-year late in the offseason. It'd be an expensive commitment for a LF/4th OF platoon, but Eppler saw something in him. 

While it may seem like Saunders wouldn't be interested because he'd be wanting an everyday job to prove he's worth big bucks, he may be better off taking a platoon role and trying to establish himself as the next Brandon Ross-type rather than cratering again into 4th OF status.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Maybin's his $9m dollar 4th OF.

I hope Eppler keeps his eyes on Saunders though. I could see him becoming this year's Fowler, where no one really offers up anything close to what he hopes for and he settles on a big one-year late in the offseason. It'd be an expensive commitment for a LF/4th OF platoon, but Eppler saw something in him. 

While it may seem like Saunders wouldn't be interested because he'd be wanting an everyday job to prove he's worth big bucks, he may be better off taking a platoon role and trying to establish himself as the next Brandon Ross-type rather than cratering again into 4th OF status.

Saunders' second half was awful. I wouldn't sign him unless it's for cheap to be a 4th OF. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Saunders' second half was awful. I wouldn't sign him unless it's for cheap to be a 4th OF. 

That's basically what I'm suggesting. Hard to say what 'cheap' will be, both to him and to the Angels. If he's expecting a multi-year payday and everyday job, someone may offer him one, but there's also a good chance everyone is scared off and he winds up being in a position where he'd be better off accepting a part-time role that may mask his inefficiencies. 

I would take Trumbo over Morales and so would anyone else. And, yes, there's a huge price tag difference there.

We're not going to spend the money to sign Trumbo who would be wise to go to a hitter's park and really jack up his already good numbers. Trumbo is now poised to really be an impact player with solid career numbers and be one of this era's best power hitters (which means he's not playing in Anaheim next year).

So given that -- gotta look at what is the differential between Cron and Morales projected numbers for 2017 and is it worth the extra money Morales' contract would cost us?

On defense, I dare say that Morales has a slight edge on Defense........neither one great.

This is a non-need area. Sure, it'd be nice to have a lefty bat, however, many of the current players (including Maybin) have marginal splits. One lefty bat that would work, because he also plays a position of need, and won't cost a draft pick (or a ton of money) is Valbuena.

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

Sure, it'd be nice to have a lefty bat, however, many of the current players (including Maybin) have marginal splits.

Good point. Maybin doesn't have a real platoon split. Calhoun actually had a reverse platoon split in 2016 and his career numbers are similar enough against both RHP and LHP. Even of the RHH, Marte and Trout didn't have a platoon split and Cron had a reverse split.

As a team in 2016, we had a 101 wRC+ against LHP and 99 against RHP - which is remarkably consistent. It can change, obviously, but offensive balance appears to be the least of our problems.

17 hours ago, totdprods said:

Weaver and Wilson's salary doesn't take $40m+ off the luxury tax, it takes about $32.5m off as it's based off AAV, and we already added Maybin's $9m. Unlike some here, I don't think the Angels have a problem going over the luxury tax, but obviously they'd like to stay under.

If for some reason we actually do decide to spend more money on a 1B/DH (when we already have two cheap ones in house between Marte and Cron and one expensive one in Pujols) I would much rather it be in a trade for terrible contract that brought back some prospects in exchange for us eating the money. And I'd prefer that type of player to at least be a guy who could sort of field a position where we could use some depth - LF, C, 3B, 2B, 1B probably in that order.

That plan also doesn't touch pitching, which is what we need the most. 

yep. that would be ideal.

dont think this org is smart enough for that approach though.

12 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

yep. that would be ideal.

dont think this org is smart enough for that approach though.

We basically did that in a microcosm last July with the Nolasco/Meyer trade, and Eppler has hinted at it being an option again. There just hasn't been any real fits from what I've seen.

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We basically did that in a microcosm last July with the Nolasco/Meyer trade, and Eppler has hinted at it being an option again. There just hasn't been any real fits from what I've seen.

yeah, i think you're right. eppler does seem like he's wise enough to do a move like that, but probably hasn't been any good fits.

i think it's a smart use of resources. 

10 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

yeah, i think you're right. eppler does seem like he's wise enough to do a move like that, but probably hasn't been any good fits.

i think it's a smart use of resources. 

You need to find a team that is 1) interested in clearing payroll, 2) has a very deep farm, 3) has a player that fits an Angel need, 4) could use something the Angels can offer, because even in these bad money deals there's usually at least one decent player going back.

The only players the Angels can really afford to give up (and reasonably replace) are Cron (selling low), Escobar (apparently zero interest), Perez/Bandy (not until we acquire at least a vet back-up), Nolasco (again, not until we get another SP) or Street (possible, but it'd be such a salary dump at this point it starts eating into our return to the point it may not be worth it). Kole Calhoun could fit into this, but we'd have to be getting a crazy good return, or already have something stewing behind the scenes for another major FA to replace him. 

There's just not very many teams that fit all that criteria right now, but as the offseason gets into gear things may change. 

The Yanks, Red Sox, Braves, Dodgers, Rangers, and maybe White Sox are the only teams I can think of that have both a blend of bad contracts they'd like to shed and a deep enough farm too include prospects to help facilitate a deal.