• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How about Morales for 1B?

Chuck

Is he any worse defensively than C.J. Cron? Maybe trade Cron for a chip?

Kendrys Morales will not be given a one-year, $17.2 million qualifying offer from the Royals. 

Morales should be able to net a multi-year contract this winter after hitting .277/.344/.476 with 52 home runs and 199 RBI over the last two seasons for the Royals. However, he's almost surely not going to get an AAV of $17.2 and could have accepted the Royals' offer had they extended one. As it is, he'll now be able to seek a new deal without being attached to draft pick compensation.

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'd rather have Trumbo if that's the direction they go. 

I'm a fan of both, but I think Morales would be a better short term guy while we groom Thiass for the job. Plus Morales bats switch and I think Sosh would like to add a lefthanded bat to the lineup. 

I don't see Cron being our future 1B, but with the season he has this past year, we may be able to get something for him. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was just thinking it would be nice to add more pop and from the left side. Maybe Morales will take a 1-year + an option deal in case Thiass is ready sooner than later to take over 1B. 

Was thinking the same.

At this point, he looks like someone who fits the need while not demanding a long term commitment.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I don't think Morales price tag will be anywhere near the Trumbo one.

Trumbo is going to get his biggest contract, while Kendrys can be had for 2-3(option) years.

Yeah, I'd even go 2 years + a club option for Morales on the cheap. The guy drives in runs and honestly, I've always been a fan of his. 

Can't see it fitting. I don't think Cron would fetch enough in a trade right now to make it worth it, and if we did, I think I'd rather look at someone with more defensive versatility than Morales. Someone like Brandon Moss who could platoon with Maybin in the event he struggles or gets hurt or someone like Wilson Ramos, Brian McCann, or Matt Wieters who could provide insurance at catcher, and still play first. After that I think I'd look at teams who may want to deal a DH (HanRam, CarGo, Markakis, Kemp, ugh, Sandoval) to clear payroll and see if it'd enable us to bring back a prospect as well.

I give Cron one more year to see if he's settled in and allow Thaiss, Jones, and Hermosillo to develop. If he puts up a .280/25/100 season, which is absolutely possible, and shows a little more improvement with the glove and OBP, he'd be worth a whole lot more. With the state of our farm its worth taking that gamble.

I like it Chuck! We need some lefties/switch hitters in the lineup! Plus Line up flexibility that supports a run production offense!

I would bring in not only Morales (Switch hitter) but also Reddick and keep Maybin as the 4th OF bring in Weiters also due to his Switch hitting ability. I would then sign Justin Turner. Then yeah we can sign Aybar for 2B.. Deal Cron, Escobar and Perez for some kids or arms!

1. Calhoun - RF

2.  Trout - CF

3.   Reddick - LF

4. AP #5 - DH

5. Turner - 3B

6.   Morales - 1B

7.  Weiters - C

8.  Simmons - SS

9. Aybar - 2B

Bench: Maybin, Marte, Bandy, Pennington, _________

The bench already looks better and you have some flexibility for days off and switch position players around as all the OF can play each spot. Same for Aybar/Pennington up the middle and Marte can break your corners and LF....

3 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I like it Chuck! We need some lefties in the lineup! Plus Line up flexibility that supports a run production offense!

I would bring in not only Morales (Switch hitter) but also Reddick and keep Maybin as the 4th OF bring in Weiters also due to his Switch hitting ability. I would then sign Justin Turner. Then yeah we can sign Aybar for 2B.. Deal Cron, Escobar and Perez!

1. Calhoun - RF

2.  Trout - CF

3.   Reddick - LF

4. AP #5 - DH

5. Turner - 3B

6.   Morales - 1B

7.  Weiters - C

8.  Simmons - SS

9. Aybar - 2B

Bench: Maybin, Marte, Bandy, Pennington, _________

The bench already looks better and you have some flexibility for days off and switch position players around as all the OF can play each spot. Same for Aybar/Pennington up the middle and Marte can break your corners and LF....

Adds way, way too much money, (maybe $60m AAV?) and years to payroll. That team would be old and expensive as all hell by 2019. Goodbye Trout.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Can't see it fitting. I don't think Cron would fetch enough in a trade right now to make it worth it, and if we did, I think I'd rather look at someone with more defensive versatility than Morales. Someone like Brandon Moss who could platoon with Maybin in the event he struggles or gets hurt or someone like Wilson Ramos, Brian McCann, or Matt Wieters who could provide insurance at catcher, and still play first. After that I think I'd look at teams who may want to deal a DH (HanRam, CarGo, Markakis, Kemp, ugh, Sandoval) to clear payroll and see if it'd enable us to bring back a prospect as well.

I give Cron one more year to see if he's settled in and allow Thaiss, Jones, and Hermosillo to develop. If he puts up a .280/25/100 season, which is absolutely possible, and shows a little more improvement with the glove and OBP, he'd be worth a whole lot more. With the state of our farm its worth taking that gamble.

Tot, your post contained the word Sandoval. Go wash your mouth out with soap.

Just now, totdprods said:

Adds way, way too much money, (maybe $60m AAV?) and years to payroll. That team would be old and expensive as all hell by 2019. Goodbye Trout.

WE should have 40M+ (Weaver & Wilson) to play with this year! plus more....The team is going to age as there is not any farm grown talent available to put up the #'s to equate to production! We will have to bring in either a Lineup with flexibility to produce runs! Or, drop coin on a pitching staff and bullpen..... Pick one! This way may cost a little more but it is easier done than stockpiling hopeful 180+ inning starters and or giving 15M+ for a closer!

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Then add in your suggestion of Brandon Moss who could platoon with Maybin in the event he struggles or gets hurt or someone like Wilson Ramos, Brian McCann, or Matt Wieters who could provide insurance at catcher, and still play first. After that I think I'd look at teams who may want to deal a DH (HanRam, CarGo, Markakis, Kemp, ugh, Sandoval) 

They all cost MAJOR $$$ even Markakis is a 10-12M per player!

I wouldn't fiddle with first base at this point.  We need a quality second baseman, another utility player, and a number of pitchers, both starters and bullpen pieces.  Sean Rodriquez, Bourjos, possibly Walker are about all we can afford position wise.  We particularly need to improve the bullpen.  

4 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

WE should have 40M+ (Weaver & Wilson) to play with this year! plus more....The team is going to age as there is not any farm grown talent available to put up the #'s to equate to production! We will have to bring in either a Lineup with flexibility to produce runs! Or, drop coin on a pitching staff and bullpen..... Pick one! This way may cost a little more but it is easier done than stockpiling hopeful 180+ inning starters and or giving 15M+ for a closer!

Weaver and Wilson's salary doesn't take $40m+ off the luxury tax, it takes about $32.5m off as it's based off AAV, and we already added Maybin's $9m. Unlike some here, I don't think the Angels have a problem going over the luxury tax, but obviously they'd like to stay under.

If for some reason we actually do decide to spend more money on a 1B/DH (when we already have two cheap ones in house between Marte and Cron and one expensive one in Pujols) I would much rather it be in a trade for terrible contract that brought back some prospects in exchange for us eating the money. And I'd prefer that type of player to at least be a guy who could sort of field a position where we could use some depth - LF, C, 3B, 2B, 1B probably in that order.

That plan also doesn't touch pitching, which is what we need the most. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm sure we can get a solid bullpen arm or lower level SP prospect with upside to a team that wants a regular 1B in C.J. Cron. 

We're just too righthanded heavy in our lineup. 

I think Cron is close to being worth way more than that. I'd want to get more for him than that.

Cron for Smyly or something of the sort.

14 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

We have $99 million committed to 2017 already.  That's the good news.  The bad news is, that is only 6 players.  Yes you read that right, 6 total players.  7 with Escobar.  We also have 3 players in arbitration 1, 1 Arb 2 in Calhoun, and 2 Arb 3. 

Money is going to go quickly.

I'd love to see Kendrys back with the Angels, and he fits the profile of a player Eppler would be looking for. He's a lock for .280 and 25 HR's I think. But Cron just doesn't have the trade value to make it happen. If he stays healthy, I think Cron can put up a similar number, but teams won't deal much for him just yet.