• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

16 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Well we obviously don't have what it takes to get Kinsler

If we wanted, we could eat a ton of salary from the Tigers by taking any combo of Kinsler, Sanchez, KRod, or Martinez.

It'd blow up our salary like crazy for a year but most or all of those only have a year remaining I think. Would give us a shot at contending without decimating the farm or committing tons of money into long-term plans.

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If we wanted, we could eat a ton of salary from the Tigers by taking any combo of Kinsler, Sanchez, KRod, or Martinez.

It'd blow up our salary like crazy for a year but most or all of those only have a year remaining I think. Would give us a shot at contending without decimating the farm or committing tons of money into long-term plans.

Yeah that's why I including the Sanchez tweet even though it had nothing to do with Kinsler. Instead of paying Nova we could take on a good chunk of the Sanchez contract. 

We could then try and dump Escobar for salary purposes and snag a guy like Solarte to play 3rd. Kinsler would replace Escobar in leadoff role 

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yeah that's why I including the Sanchez tweet even though it had nothing to do with Kinsler. Instead of paying Nova we could take on a good chunk of the Sanchez contract. 

We could then try and dump Escobar for salary purposes and snag a guy like Solarte to play 3rd. Kinsler would replace Escobar in leadoff role 

I like it.

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I like it.

I honestly don't think we're being unrealistic with some of our ideas. So we'll find out soon enough if Eppler meant it when he saying they're "intending to contend" or if they're "pretending to content". Thanks to Calzone for the last part there.

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I honestly don't think we're being unrealistic with some of our ideas. So we'll find out soon enough if Eppler meant it when he saying they're "intending to contend" or if they're "pretending to content". Thanks to Calzone for the last part there.

I think Billy is keeping an open mind. Our core is good enough to contend every single year for the foreseeable future - it's not like we're the Padres, Twins, Braves, or Athletics. If he gets an opportunity to buy a big splash without risking too much harm, he will do it, but if prices or risk get too high he's content going super cheap on short commitments and hoping for a little luck. He knows he is making moves that won't harm the future.

44 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I did this to myself last year.  We're at $152mil.  I seriously doubt we are going to add any payroll of significance.  Maybe we'll get up to around 160-165 with a couple of smaller moves, but Arte just isn't going to do it.  It's not about the CBT.  It's not because he's still shell shocked from Hamilton.  It's because he's got a budget and he sticks to it.  

People keep talking about how the Angels could use the technique to take on money in a salary dump.  Zero chance.  Arte has Trout.  He's got his 3 million fans and he puts money in his pocket.  

He'd like the team to win.  He doesn't need them to win.  He just has to show that they have a chance to win.  

32 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

"Intending to contend" 

when we have the best baseball player on the planet 

better enjoy him while he's here. 

8 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I'm sure there's some advanced metric that says I'm full of shit but I think there's a legit reason the Red Sox have never collected lefty starters in the past.

Maybe, they watched many including Bill Lee get hammered due to the monster (Boston usually had soft tossing lefties or hard throwers who couldn't get it inside on a consistent basis) all changed once Lester learned the cutter... Or, they just enjoyed watching Washburn give up red assed monkey butt there.