• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Any interest in Brett Lawrie for second?

I like his grit.  I have zero idea what his contract looks like.  He passes the eye test defensively, but I don't know what the metrics say.  He never progressed from what he came up as.  That being said he is better than Pennington and he isn't old.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like his grit.  I have zero idea what his contract looks like.  He passes the eye test defensively, but I don't know what the metrics say.  He never progressed from what he came up as.  That being said he is better than Pennington and he isn't old.  

He will likely be non-tendered today.

Lawrie is a below avg 2bman and doesn't get on base.  Not really the Eppler type. But he's entering his 27yo season so there could be a bump in his productivity for the next few years.  He's worth considering among the other 2b also ran options.  

Revere would be a nice pickup coming off a weird year where he had a .234 babip.  His fly ball rate was way up and because he has no power, it turned into a bunch of outs.  He's got a really good chance to rebound.  He's an ok defender and has some good speed.  

I really wanted Revere a couple years ago before the Jays got him. He'd be perfect to platoon with Maybin and He'd be a nice late inning pinch runner.

Like Doc said he had a down year with his babip as opposed to other seasons. He'd be the perfect buy low candidate.

If we could have Maybin/Revere in the OF I'd like to find a 2B that could provide some pop. So that brings me back to Kinsler...

Kinsler

Maybin/Revere

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

Escobar

Simmons

Bandy

This is about as good as it can get with a owner unwilling to spend much money. Revere won't cost much, add Kinsler's 11 million this season (10 next season w/ 5 million buyout). Spend what's left on pitching.

A lot of options with the lineup. A nice mix of OBP guys and power. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Lawrie is a below avg 2bman and doesn't get on base.  Not really the Eppler type. But he's entering his 27yo season so there could be a bump in his productivity for the next few years.  He's worth considering among the other 2b also ran options.  

Revere would be a nice pickup coming off a weird year where he had a .234 babip.  His fly ball rate was way up and because he has no power, it turned into a bunch of outs.  He's got a really good chance to rebound.  He's an ok defender and has some good speed.  

Too bad Willie Davis isn't still alive to counsel Revere.  He learned to not try to swing for the fences after the 1968 season, and saw his hitting reborn.   

Down side to Revere is his Damonesque arm, which would only play decently in LF.    

3 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Any interest in Brett Lawrie for second?

Not a big fan of him unless you're picking him up just based on some untapped potential. He was a highly thought of prospect and he's entering his age 27 season next year. But some of the numbers are ugly. Rapidly increasing K rate, doesn't get on base and he hasn't profiled as a good defender at either 2B or 3B. Factor in his alleged clubhouse issues and this is a bit of a tough call. 

That being said, I'd rather take a chance on him than just roll out Pennington and Cowart next year. Like I mentioned above, there's still that hope he finally figures it out and churns out a quality season. 

33 minutes ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Not a big fan of him unless you're picking him up just based on some untapped potential. He was a highly thought of prospect and he's entering his age 27 season next year. But some of the numbers are ugly. Rapidly increasing K rate, doesn't get on base and he hasn't profiled as a good defender at either 2B or 3B. Factor in his alleged clubhouse issues and this is a bit of a tough call. 

That being said, I'd rather take a chance on him than just roll out Pennington and Cowart next year. Like I mentioned above, there's still that hope he finally figures it out and churns out a quality season. 

I'd prefer him over many of the candidates that have been mentioned. He's never had a season below a .700 OPS (.734 career). He brings some power and intensity to the club ... which is much needed. If he was a LH bat that would be real nice. He also wouldn't cost us a prospect.

34 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I'd prefer him over many of the candidates that have been mentioned. He's never had a season below a .700 OPS (.734 career). He brings some power and intensity to the club ... which is much needed. If he was a LH bat that would be real nice. He also wouldn't cost us a prospect.

...Did someone hack your account?

This is a reasonable post and even includes some pseudo sabr-stats (OPS).

The Phillies announced that they’ve claimed lefty David Rollins off waivers from the Rangers and designated infielder/outfielder Cody Asche for assignment to clear a spot on the 40-man roster. Asche, formerly one of the Phillies’ top prospects, has struggled in parts of four seasons and was a non-tender candidate prior to tonight’s 8pm ET deadline.

Left handed hitting 26 YO former top prospect?

I post this mostly because of a comment..

Wild prediction–Angels sign Asche and turn him into Second baseman. He hits well enough for that position.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I agree. I do wonder if taking a chance on him for a minimal cost(5 mil?) is a smarter route than banking on one of the older free agents or giving up prospects a younger 2B. 

11 minutes ago, Angels_Baseball said:

I agree. I do wonder if taking a chance on him for a minimal cost(5 mil?) is a smarter route than banking on one of the older free agents or giving up prospects a younger 2B. 

You're not really taking a chance are you? You know what your getting ... I see more upside than downside.

Anyways, it was just a thought ... I prefer Kinsler but at what cost?