• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Would you trade C.J. Cron for Chris Carter?

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers are having active trade talks involving Chris Carter.

Nope. Don't need someone putting up Dave Kingman type numbers playing half his games at the Big A without the benefit of hitting against Angels pitching.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Reds shopping Billy Hamilton. He'd be a fun 4th OF who could slot into LF next year. Eating Phillips salary would lessen the prospects we'd give up. He had some MIF experience in the low minors. With some work he'd maybe be able to work himself into a true UT player.

Cowart costs nothing and while he's not as fast as Hamilton, he's pretty darn fast, especially to 1st. And we filled the left field slot with Cameron Maybin, so why not just sign Peter Bourjos or John Jay for 4th OF and again, give up zero prospects?

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Cowart costs nothing and while he's not as fast as Hamilton, he's pretty darn fast, especially to 1st. And we filled the left field slot with Cameron Maybin, so why not just sign Peter Bourjos or John Jay for 4th OF and again, give up zero prospects?

Jay is fine by me. He's probably holding out for an everyday job though, and he may get it. And please, the comparison of Cowart's speed to Hamilton's speed is like the Brendan Ryan defense vs Simmons defense argument from last year. Billy Hamilton is 26, he isn't far removed from being a prospect. If he can come close to the .260 BA and .324 OBP with his speed and defense, he'd be a great in-house LF to replace Maybin in '18. 

For the most part, our prospects aren't untouchable, aside from Jones. Just need to not go crazy dealing too many of them and not for old, expensive players.

Just now, Hubs said:

Hamilton is the fastest player in the majors. I wasn't comparing him to Hamilton as far as speed, just that we had a in house speedy option. 

Hamilton also looks like an actual offensive player in comparison to Cowart as well. Hamilton also gives us future depth leading off, and ability to cover at least LF and CF, and possibly 2B and RF. Hamilton would also give us something of value to count on in CF just in case anything ever ya know. Happens.

Cowart gives us some defensive versatility too, but we're thinnest in the OF right now. Cowart's days are numbered, I think. 

Totdprods, I think Cowart has one more option year remaining, so he will just be at SLC if he can't make the team. If they go to 26, allowing teams to carry 13 pitchers and 13 position players, then I see the team as follows, though Cowart could get the 2b job.

Pitchers:

Richards, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez, Meyer, Morin, Ramirez, Alvarez, Guerra, Bedrosian, Bailey, Street.

Position:

Trout, Maybin, Calhoun, 4th OF, Marte, Pujols, Cron, 2B, Pennington, Simmons, Escobar, Perez, Bandy

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Hard to know how fast Cowart is to first. Rumor has it he got to first once or twice, but I have yet to be able to substantiate that rumor.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Totdprods, I think Cowart has one more option year remaining, so he will just be at SLC if he can't make the team. If they go to 26, allowing teams to carry 13 pitchers and 13 position players, then I see the team as follows, though Cowart could get the 2b job.

Pitchers:

Richards, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez, Meyer, Morin, Ramirez, Alvarez, Guerra, Bedrosian, Bailey, Street.

Position:

Trout, Maybin, Calhoun, 4th OF, Marte, Pujols, Cron, 2B, Pennington, Simmons, Escobar, Perez, Bandy

I could see Cowart remaining as depth for one more year. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was DFA'ed next week after a move. He can pick it, sure, but he didn't do enough to get even a look as a UT IF last year. I think they're keeping him around for lack of a better alternative and in hopes maybe he puts it together all of the sudden, but also think they'd feel really fine cutting him loose as soon as they bring in another infielder.

Hamilton put up nearly 3 WAR per BBRef last year, and he has the speed and defense to keep him in the bigs regardless of what his bat does. 

31 minutes ago, nando714 said:

I feel like the Cubs have a ton of OFers lol

Seriously where are they going to play everyone?

Maybe they'll trade for Chris Sale. They have the prospects. Got to figure Schwarber gets OF AB's, along with Heyward and Zobrist. If Zobrist plays 2nd, then Baez is in the OF, and they have Soler and Almora. Plus a few prospects soon to knock on the door.

2 hours ago, nando714 said:

I feel like the Cubs have a ton of OFers lol

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Seriously where are they going to play everyone?

Maybe they'll trade for Chris Sale. They have the prospects. Got to figure Schwarber gets OF AB's, along with Heyward and Zobrist. If Zobrist plays 2nd, then Baez is in the OF, and they have Soler and Almora. Plus a few prospects soon to knock on the door.

Yes they do and I would love to see them make a trade for Mark Zagunis I think he'd be a great pickup for next season. He is buried in the depth chart behind Schwarber, Heyward, Zobrist, Soler, Almora, and Happ.