• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official MLB Hot Stove Thread (no Angels rumors or news here)

Docwaukee

So you want to add a couple of bullpen arms ... 

Right-hander Joe Blanton is arguably the best reliever left on the free-agent market, but that may not be the case for long, as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that interest in the 36-year-old has begun to pick up now that the upper tier of free-agent relievers have found new homes (Twitter link). A return to the Dodgers is still possible for Blanton, per Crasnick, though multiple teams figure to have interest following a pair of resurgent seasons for the former starter.

mlbtraderumor

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Right-hander Joe Blanton is arguably the best reliever left on the free-agent market, but that may not be the case for long, as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that interest in the 36-year-old has begun to pick up now that the upper tier of free-agent relievers have found new homes (Twitter link). A return to the Dodgers is still possible for Blanton, per Crasnick, though multiple teams figure to have interest following a pair of resurgent seasons for the former starter.

mlbtraderumor

now this is what troll daddy is here for.

6 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Right-hander Joe Blanton is arguably the best reliever left on the free-agent market, but that may not be the case for long, as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that interest in the 36-year-old has begun to pick up now that the upper tier of free-agent relievers have found new homes (Twitter link). A return to the Dodgers is still possible for Blanton, per Crasnick, though multiple teams figure to have interest following a pair of resurgent seasons for the former starter.

mlbtraderumor

Is this true or is my bourbon is beginning to affect my perception of reality?

11 hours ago, Glen said:

I think we saw the real Blanton in the playoffs. 

Just imagine the Rangers with Napoli AND Trumbo. Those two alone would hit a combined 4 HR a game against us.

Well didn't Kazmir all of a sudden become great after he left Anaheim? Is there a trend here? Also Ryan Madson as well?

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I'm sure Blanton is just as nauseated at the thought of coming back to Anaheim as we are. 

I am wrong about things much more often than I'm right (at least baseball things) but I thought moving Blanton to the pen might work out (particularly since we owed him anyway)....he had some decent outings from the pen but if I recall, he got bombed a time or two also....in hindsight, the next spring when we released him we maybe gave up on the experiment too soon....with that, I'll go back to being wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

Dipoto is back on his binge moves again. 

"The Mariners have acquired right-hander Yovani Gallardo and cash from the Orioles in exchange for corner outfielder Seth Smith, the teams announced today."

Then, he did this:

"The Mariners have moved swiftly on a second trade of the day, adding outfielder Jarrod Dyson from the Royals in exchange for righty Nate Karns, according to Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune (via Twitter)."

The first move was weird but the 2nd move makes the 2 transactions make sense. Dyson>Smith and Gallardo/Karns are probably a wash at this point but Gallardo is more expensive. M's now have Martin/Dyson slotted for 2 outfield spots and some combo of Haniger, Gamel, Heredia for the 3rd outfield spot. 

Jerry is an interesting GM. I'll give him that. I'm pretty happy that Seattle is going all in as they've lost a lot of club controlled players this offseason. If 2017 doesn't end well, they could go downhill very quickly. 

Good moves by Dipoto. Gallardo has done well in AL West parks over a good sample size. He is probably a wash with Karns. I have a feeling they still look at Trumbo, Saunders, Rasmus types to pair with Dyson to replace Smith too. 

That said, none of those moves could really do much to improve their chances.

i like the dyson acquisition. he's one of those decent/average mlb players, but with a back breaking asset. in his case, his speed. those guys can make a big difference in an important time of a game.

it's the same thought that drove my desire for the angels to acquire ben revere last year, i felt that the angels didn't have anyone with a game changing asset like revere has, other than trout of course, and simmons albeit defensively.

It really has been a slow moving year for free agency without any big names moving like last season. I think clubs making moves this year will fare better than the big ticket buys last year that most went south in a hurry. But there will be a lot of unemployed league average guys sitting out the year by the looks of it. 

25 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

GM's are finally getting the concept that you can use the young cheap guys as your league average players and only pay for the big names.

the over 30 league average guys that want an above league average paycheck are SOL.

was just gonna mention that.  guys weren't declining until age 40 during the roid era.  now it's back to the 33/34 season.  The upper echelon guys move the needle whereas you have a decent chance of getting similar production from a young prospect or even an undervalued player (like a defensive stud) to that of a high paid league avg or even slightly above average guy who is going to be declining over the next few years.  

Because aging curves have become more appropriate again, those mid range guys seem to linger a lot longer.  while I don't expect the dogs, cubs, yanks or boston to be out of the FA mix, we've seen all of them trying to develop players.  They've obviously spent a fair amount, but certainly they could be spending more.  Instead of going after multiple players on the FA market they are typically adding 1-2 key guys.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

was just gonna mention that.  guys weren't declining until age 40 during the roid era.  now it's back to the 33/34 season.  The upper echelon guys move the needle whereas you have a decent chance of getting similar production from a young prospect or even an undervalued player (like a defensive stud) to that of a high paid league avg or even slightly above average guy who is going to be declining over the next few years.  

Because aging curves have become more appropriate again, those mid range guys seem to linger a lot longer.  while I don't expect the dogs, cubs, yanks or boston to be out of the FA mix, we've seen all of them trying to develop players.  They've obviously spent a fair amount, but certainly they could be spending more.  Instead of going after multiple players on the FA market they are typically adding 1-2 key guys.  

Thats one of the things about todays market a lot of people miss. 

In the juiced era, the market was always there for teams, because impact giys were always available. Always.

For the most part, i dont think impact guys back then wanted the long term contracts. Why sogn for 6 years at say 15 a year when you can sign for 3 years at that rate, and get another 3 year contract at a better aav after putting up anorher 3 35 home run campaigns.

Plenty of guys were all star hitter in their mid 30s. Thats ehy a guy like tim salmon never made the radar outside of anaheim, other players, and hard core mlb fans.