• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Cameron Maybin for Alcantara

totdprods

I think his 2015 is a good example of what we can expect sans the horrendous defense.  

What's amazing is that his BABIP has been so low for a guy who has very good speed.  For his career prior to 2016, it was around .315.  

This is such a similar trade to Escobar.  It makes me think that Eppler and crew have potentially identified something in these guys performances where it's not quite the aberration that some maybe thing by looking at certain metrics.  

It's interesting to look at the performances of other corner outfielders in terms of expectations.  Corey Dickerson was avg offensively and slightly below avg defensively ending up with 1.6 WAR.  Adam Duval was slightly above avg on both side of the ball and had a 2.8 WAR.  Something around 2.0 WAR would be acceptable.  

34 minutes ago, oater said:

Can you explain why the AAV is $5.5MM?  I have read that team options are treated as one year contracts when exercised.  I am not sure how the $1MM buyout is handled where the trade occurs before the option is exercised, but I don't see how the AAV for the 2017 contract is less than $8MM.

You are correct, I was wrong. Scratch that then.

" In 2014, Angels left fielders were bad. In 2015, they were worse. In 2016, they were worse still. Over the last three years combined, Angels left fielders have posted a .602 OPS. Second-worst are the Phillies, at .645. Then you get the Astros, at .682. The Angels were the worst this year, and they were the worst last year, and over these three seasons, no baseball team has had a greater number of left fielders suit up. For some teams, certain positions are catastrophes. That corner of the outfield in Anaheim has been a train wreck."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cameron-maybin-is-the-start-of-the-offseason/

No matter how many times I see those numbers, I never feel any less stunned by them.

29 minutes ago, oater said:

Can you explain why the AAV is $5.5MM?  I have read that team options are treated as one year contracts when exercised.  I am not sure how the $1MM buyout is handled where the trade occurs before the option is exercised, but I don't see how the AAV for the 2017 contract is less than $8MM.

Regardless, I think this is a great trade.  Good value for Alcantara who profiles very similarly to Jose Valdez who was acquired from (. . .drum roll . . .) the Tigers for cash!

Actually Oater you are correct my mistake. It is $8MM as an option year:

(2)
Average Annual Value of Guaranteed Multi-Year Contracts
A Uniform Player’s Contract with a term of more than one (1)
championship season (“Multi-Year Contract”) shall be deemed to
have a Salary in each Guaranteed Year equal to the “Average Annual
Value” of the Contract (plus any bonuses subsequently included by
operation of Section E(4) below). “Average Annual Value” shall be
calculated as follows: the sum of (a) the Base Salary in each Guar-
anteed Year plus (b) any portion of a Signing Bonus (or any other
payment that this Article deems to be a Signing Bonus) attributed to
a Guaranteed Year in accordance with Section E(3) below plus (c)
any deferred compensation or annuity compensation costs attributed
to a Guaranteed Year in accordance with Section E(6) below shall
be divided by the number of Guaranteed Years.

(5)
Option Contracts
(a) Definitions
(i) A “Club Option Year” shall mean a championship season
covered by a Uniform Player’s Contract in which the amount
payable pursuant to paragraph 2 of the Contract becomes due or
guaranteed at the election of the Club or by reason of specified
performance by a Player. Club Option Years shall not be consid
ered “Guaranteed Years.” In addition, any other championship
season included in a Multi-Year Contract that is not a Guaranteed
Year shall be treated as a Club Option Year.

Sorry!

As for Escobar.  Asking him to move to second base would solve a lot of problems.  The question is how willing is he to make the move, and can he actually field the position adequately.  But it would be nice to keep his and Marte's bats in the lineup.

Matt Joyce of
1 year/$1M (2016)

• 1 year (2016)
    • signed by Pittsburgh as a free agent 2/18/16 (minor-league contract with salary of $1M in majors)
    • contract selected by Pittsburgh 3/29/16
  • 1 year/$4.75M (2015)
    • signed by LA Angels 2/9/15 (avoided arbitration, $5.2M-$4.2M)
  • 1 year/$3.7M (2013)
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 1/17/14 (avoided arbitration)
    • acquired by LA Angels in trade from Tampa Bay 12/16/14
  • 1 year/$2.45M (2013)
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 1/18/13 (avoided arbitration)
  • 1 year/$0.4995M (2012)
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 3/3/12
  • 1 year/$0.4265M (2011)
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 2/26/11
  • 1 year/$0.406M (2010)
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 3/3/10
  • 1 year/$0.4104M (2009)
    • acquired by Tampa Bay in trade from Detroit 12/10/08
    • re-signed by Tampa Bay 2/25/09
  • 1 year (2008)
    • contract purchased by Detroit 5/5/08
  • drafted by Detroit 2005 (12-360) (Florida Southern)
  • agent: ACES
  • ML service: 6.123

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I also really doubt this happens, and I'm not suggesting they do this, but if somehow the Angels find themselves with an opportunity to bring in a big OF still, Maybin could also just be a really expensive 4th OF.  

Yeah the thought of trading Calhoun for pitching and signing Cespedes has definitely crossed my mind ha! God I want Cespedes on this team so badly!

I also REALLY wish we would've saved our Santiago bullet for a guy like Dietrich

10 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yeah the thought of trading Calhoun for pitching and signing Cespedes has definitely crossed my mind ha! God I want Cespedes on this team so badly!

I also REALLY wish we would've saved our Santiago bullet for a guy like Dietrich

Yup - I'm not pushing for dealing Calhoun by any means, but just by addressing LF so quickly (and relatively cheaply) it gives Eppler the flexibility to at least shop Calhoun for legit SPs, knowing that he can still turn to free agency for another OF still, or the option of waiting out on an ideal contract for a FA. Look at how long it took Fowler (or most of the outfielders) to sign last offseason.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Reddick and Saunders wind up signing really late because they hold out for too much or the plethora of Pagan, Bourjos, Blanco types results in us snagging one as a 4th OF.

Doubtful Cespedes drops enough in price or demand for that scenario to play out, but never know!

I like this trade. very low risk, minimum commitment. Maybin should be better than anything we have thrown out there the last three years. Alcantara will probably never crack a big league roster.

It would be interesting to see the team move Escobar for pen help and put Marte at third. That would save some legit money to be used toward a second baseman and rotation piece. If things break right, the team could be competitive.

20 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I also REALLY wish we would've saved our Santiago bullet for a guy like Dietrich.

He may still be obtainable. Marlins need arms most, but I could see us dangling a catcher in a three-team deal involving him. 

I'm happy with what we got for Santiago.

I recall us being in on Brett Lawrie last offseason, and the Sox may be interested in shopping or non-tendering him as well.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

As for Escobar.  Asking him to move to second base would solve a lot of problems.  The question is how willing is he to make the move, and can he actually field the position adequately.  But it would be nice to keep his and Marte's bats in the lineup.

I honestly don't think he fielded 3B that well. I'd be good with his move to 2B.