• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Cameron Maybin for Alcantara

totdprods

I haven't read through all the thread so I'm assuming somebody else has mentioned this, but this deal increases the likelihood Escobar will be traded I think. It removes any thought about Marte being a regular LF, freeing him up for 3B. Maybin gives us another leadoff option, too, and his speed at the top of the lineup wouldn't hurt. I'm not saying Escobar definitely will be traded but it seems a bit more likely now, especially if we can get a pitcher in return.

43 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Maybin had a .383 BABIP? How in the world is that even possible? His BABIP went up 67 points even though he hit fewer line drives and his hard contact rate was below his career norm. There is very likely to be some regression there because that isn't sustainable, although that isn't to say he will fall to the point of being bad. I don't hate this trade, it's an upgrade over what we had in LF in 2016 (who wouldn't be) - I think he projects as a below average, but acceptable and serviceable, regular. I liked Alcantara as a future reliever but clearly the FO didn't agree and I'm fine with that. Unless Maybin completely tanks, we should be able to trade him at the deadline for something of similar value (possibly even more) if the team sucks again.

This is an upgrade, but clearly we need a lot more if we are going to seriously contend. Given the weak free agent market and our limit trade chips, that won't be easy to do.

Clearly there's never been a season in a major leaguers career where they turned things around and fulfilled their promise and had a successful career. But, based on your thoughts he's going to regress. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Clearly there's never been a season in a major leaguers career where they turned things around and fulfilled their promise and had a successful career. But, based on your thoughts he's going to regress. 

No idea why you're being like this. His BABIP was awfully high and that will probably regress. But that doesn't mean I think he is a bad player or that this was a bad trade. I have no particular issue with the trade, it seems fine. I'm just not expecting a 120 wRC+ next year.

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

No idea why you're being like this. His BABIP was awfully high and that will probably regress. But that doesn't mean I think he is a bad player or that this was a bad trade. I have no particular issue with the trade, it seems fine. I'm just not expecting a 120 wRC+ next year.

I didn't mean to direct that just to you, Oz. Just to the Negative Nancy's in the thread. 

Kind of a 'meh' trade. I'd probably be disappointed if our left field situation hadn't been such a disaster the last couple years. Maybin is potentially a 3 win upgrade for us next year, which I'd wager Alcantara will be unlikely to surpass over the next 6 years.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Kind of a 'meh' trade. I'd probably be disappointed if our left field situation hadn't been such a disaster the last couple years. Maybin is potentially a 3 win upgrade for us next year, which I'd wager Alcantara will be unlikely to surpass over the next 6 years.

and he's going into a contract year. 

I like the deal.  No idea if we ever see Alcantara at the MLB level.  We have a reasonable idea what to expect from Maybin.  If he can stay healthy and provide solid D in left while getting on base at a .330 clip, I'd be happy.  Especially for $9 mil per.  I would be fine if he hits at the bottom of the lineup.  Might take some pressure off.