• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Cameron Maybin for Alcantara

totdprods

1 minute ago, nate said:

@Angelsjunky what was the conversion for WAR to $?

Maybin had a career 2 WAR year and is going to make 9 million.  Such value...

i remember it being 8 million per WAR. so if that's accurate, then yes great value.

keep in mind, i think WAR borders on bullshit.

this is a classic hindsight move. if at the end of 2017 maybin has had a productive year, then the trade was a good one for the angels, even if alcantara has decent success. if he tanks and alcantara is great, then obviously not so much.

risk vs. reward. 

i think it's a good move by eppler. 

While one could say that K-Rod also struggled in the minors before converting to relief pitching after 2001, did he have the command issues that Alcantara had in the minors?

Maybin only turns 30 in April.   Maybe he's finally figured out his best way to approach hitting.   He does K a little more often than one would like from a leadoff hitter (about 20% in 2016), but it isn't extreme.

The OF defense is very good now.  Just need to clean up the infield defense at the corners and 2B.

Trade Escobar and move Marte to 3B, and have Marte field a ton of GBs in the winter?   And then move Cowart to 2B/utility role, and sign Drew?   Finally, tell Cron to do what Marte needs to do in the winter, and also fielding a ton of throws to 1B.

Maybin, Calhoun, Trout, Pujols, Cron, Marte, Simmons, Bandy/Perez, Cowart/Drew

Then they need to sign a potential #3/4 starter to join GRich, Shoe, Nolasco, and Skaggs; and one backend reliever to join Street, Bedrosian, Bailey, and maybe Ramirez will be ready for that kind of work in 2017?   Plus, maybe Escobar can get the Halos a decent reliever in return?

Just now, Stradling said:

I am curious what this means for the rest of the offseason.  I would assume that we will have the money to spend on the pen and 2nd base.  

if we trade Escobar for a player that essentially replaces Alcantara then the money and players are a wash.  Put Marte at 3b and start looking for some relief help, SP and a 2bman.  

Just like with Gott last year, I don't think Alcantara is overly well thought of internally.  It's a reasonable bet to give up a minor leaguer entering his 24yo season who can't throw strikes to save himself for a guy who may have turned a corner.  There isn't a ton of safety with either player and I don't think they make this move if they had any sort of confidence that Alcantara would figure things out.  Victor will be that guy who just around to a few teams and then he'll have a couple of nice seasons at the age of 28/29/30.  

I'm fine with this deal.  It doesn't activate the launch sequence or anything, but I think it's got some potential to be pretty good.  

11 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

I wonder if we still make a free agent signing to platoon in left like Alejandro De Aza or Michael Saunders which would solidify left field and provide us with a 4th outfielder. Would definitely be better than Nava and Gentry.

I can see that. Maybin definitely carries some risk still.

16 minutes ago, nate said:

@Angelsjunky what was the conversion for WAR to $?

Maybin had a career 2 WAR year and is going to make 9 million.  Such value...

Not sure if anyone has responded yet but -- after the 2015 season the cost of 1 WAR was said to be around 7.7 mil.  That number likely went up in 2016.  Also, are you saying Maybin's 2016 was his career year?  Because he posted 4.5 and 3.0 WAR seasons in his past..

Side note to the greater discussion -- Maybin's last three seasons: 330 Games played .275/.337/.376.   99 OPS+     If we can get a league average season out of him for 9 mil this is a good deal.

Potentially decent move. Alcantra  is electric and erratic. He's the kind of high-variance, (relatively) low-probability prospect teams should trade; dollars-to-donuts,he's fools gold.  Maybin is, at worst, a really good 4th outfeilder- which makes him the best LF we've had in a while.

There is a chance we just traded the next Aroldis for the next Melvin Upton, but those odds are exceedingly low. Decent gamble for a front office that is going to have to take a few chances to improve this roster as much as it needs to improve. 2nd Base, RP, and SP are next on the checklist.

Also, Nate: you know, it's ok to OCCASIONALLY like a move from this front office; we promise we won't start thinking you like Eppler or Arte, scouts honor. 

Maybin had a .383 BABIP? How in the world is that even possible? His BABIP went up 67 points even though he hit fewer line drives and his hard contact rate was below his career norm. There is very likely to be some regression there because that isn't sustainable, although that isn't to say he will fall to the point of being bad. I don't hate this trade, it's an upgrade over what we had in LF in 2016 (who wouldn't be) - I think he projects as a below average, but acceptable and serviceable, regular. I liked Alcantara as a future reliever but clearly the FO didn't agree and I'm fine with that. Unless Maybin completely tanks, we should be able to trade him at the deadline for something of similar value (possibly even more) if the team sucks again.

This is an upgrade, but clearly we need a lot more if we are going to seriously contend. Given the weak free agent market and our limit trade chips, that won't be easy to do.

I am not a Maybin fan -- but I like this deal a lot.   He's never come close to the career people envisioned for him, an argument can be made he's been a bit of a bust.  But at 29, he shouldn't be on the downside of his career and if there is ANYTHING to the idea that guys in contract years are good gets then the Angels might be able to benefit.

Worst case scenario he does well enough to bring in a player at the deadline...   Alcantara upside is all in his ability to dial up the MPH..   While that can make for a lot of oohs and ahhs -- those are basically the sorts of guys Eppler has been picking up off the discard pile and via waivers.   

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Worst case scenario he does well enough to bring in a player at the deadline...   Alcantara upside is all in his ability to dial up the MPH..   While that can make for a lot of oohs and ahhs -- those are basically the sorts of guys Eppler has been picking up off the discard pile and via waivers.  

Yep, plus of the two bullpen prospects I like Kenyan Middleton more. Middleton was throwing triple digits in AA/AAA this season. 

Overall: 3.41 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 88 K's in 66 innings across two levels in 2016. Opposing hitters hit just .196 against him. 

Oh and he's black, @tdawg87

3 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Maybin had a .383 BABIP? How in the world is that even possible? His BABIP went up 67 points even though he hit fewer line drives and his hard contact rate was below his career norm. There is very likely to be some regression there because that isn't sustainable, although that isn't to say he will fall to the point of being bad.

It likely has something to do with his speed, it's not uncommon to see guys with speed have full swing 55 foot IF singles.   Fast/quick guys tend to have outlier BABIP seasons somewhat frequently.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

It likely has something to do with his speed, it's not uncommon to see guys with speed have full swing 55 foot IF singles.   Fast/quick guys tend to have outlier BABIP seasons somewhat frequently.  

Yeah that's true. We have to expect some regression there, however. That doesn't make it a bad trade, of course, but it seems a little too optimistic to expect him to replicate those offensive numbers.