• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Claim Abel De Los Santos, DFA Oberholtzer

Docwaukee

Wonder if Oberholtzer makes it through waivers and gets stashed at SLC. I have thought for awhile Eppler plans on going that route frequently to build up the upper levels, and confirmed as much in Saltzer's thread about his meeting with season ticket holders.

Claim a lot of guys, then DFA then when you think you have a chance at adding someone better or see a time where you think they'll sneak through waivers to round out AA/AAA.

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I guess if Ramirez could be a solid pickup from the Reds, so could De Los Santos......

Must have a pretty good arm....has good minor league stats and is still fairly young....seems to be Eppler's plan for the bullpen....pick up good, young arms on the cheap and give them a shot....keep the ones who produce....process the ones who don't (Oberholtzer)...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=deloss001abe

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Wonder if Oberholtzer makes it through waivers and gets stashed at SLC. I have thought for awhile Eppler plans on going that route frequently to build up the upper levels, and confirmed as much in Saltzer's thread about his meeting with season ticket holders.

Claim a lot of guys, then DFA then when you think you have a chance at adding someone better or see a time where you think they'll sneak through waivers to round out AA/AAA.

You don't need a feeling to know that this is what Eppler is doing. He outright stated as much last night. Operation Clean Peanut is on in full force!

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Must have a pretty good arm....has good minor league stats and is still fairly young....seems to be Eppler's plan for the bullpen....pick up good, young arms on the cheap and give them a shot....keep the ones who produce....process the ones who don't (Oberholtzer)...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=deloss001abe

Yeah only 23. Huge difference in the players Eppler claims off waivers and those Dipoto did. Dipoto claimed a ton of AAAA guys and older minor leaguers. Eppler goes after much younger players who have yup, more risk and more upside. 

It worked really well last season. Glad this is part of the plan. It won't get much press or attention, but it does a very effective job at negating our void of prospect talent in the upper levels.

19 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'd be looking for failed prospect starters, then convert them to relievers. they can unleash their full arm potential, and if it sticks they either improve the angels on the field or bring in a  haul of true prospects in trade.

That seems to be exactly the plan with Meyer. Give him a shot at rotation, but I have a feeling he's going to wind up in the pen.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Yeah only 23. Huge difference in the players Eppler claims off waivers and those Dipoto did. Dipoto claimed a ton of AAAA guys and older minor leaguers. Eppler goes after much younger players who have yup, more risk and more upside. 

It worked really well last season. Glad this is part of the plan. It won't get much press or attention, but it does a very effective job at negating our void of prospect talent in the upper levels.

There was much more "win now" pressure on Dipoto. Now that the Angels officially stink and it's accepted that it'll probably be a while before this club contends again...the methods have changed along with the perception and expectations. 

5 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

There was much more "win now" pressure on Dipoto. Now that the Angels officially stink and it's accepted that it'll probably be a while before this club contends again...the methods have changed along with the perception and expectations. 

Disagree there. It was quite clear that the pressure is on to win another WS title. He was asked flat out if we are going to wait for 2018 to really contend or if we are going for it in 2017. He was very clear about going for it in 2017 and that there is only so long for the window with Trout. Now, we have the offseason to see if this is true or not, but, he talked about adding: 1-2 starters, 1-2 bullpen arms, a LFer and a 2B. He did say that they look at the options for 2018, and are cognizant of what might be available then, but they aren't passing up this offseason.

4 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Disagree there. It was quite clear that the pressure is on to win another WS title. He was asked flat out if we are going to wait for 2018 to really contend or if we are going for it in 2017. He was very clear about going for it in 2017 and that there is only so long for the window with Trout. Now, we have the offseason to see if this is true or not, but, he talked about adding: 1-2 starters, 1-2 bullpen arms, a LFer and a 2B. He did say that they look at the options for 2018, and are cognizant of what might be available then, but they aren't passing up this offseason.

Agree with you Dave.  I think 'win now' is still in play.  I also think that needs to be the perception to the fans regardless of whether it's 100% true internally.  Arte is going to do what it takes to make sure that those 3 millions fans show on the books.  Telling the season ticket holders that we are 'hoping to contend by 2018, but we still want you to buy tickets' isn't exactly the best move from a marketing standpoint.  

4 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

The FO is never going to say they aren't optimistic about turning things around after a poor season. But I think you would be hard pressed to find many serious fans (like we have here) that expect such drastic change in a short off season. There's a big difference in what a club does to look for help after a 90+ win season, than after a  90+ loss season. 

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Agree with you Dave.  I think 'win now' is still in play.  I also think that needs to be the perception to the fans regardless of whether it's 100% true internally.  Arte is going to do what it takes to make sure that those 3 millions fans show on the books.  Telling the season ticket holders that we are 'hoping to contend by 2018, but we still want you to buy tickets' isn't exactly the best move from a marketing standpoint.  

Unless you are the Chicago Cubs, who fill the stadium anyhow.

They flat out told their faithful to expect at least five years.

26 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Either the Reds have a strong farm system, or their FO/coaches are stupid idiots.

Earlier this year, when the Angels got someone else form the Reds (I can't remember who), Fletcher tweeted that the Reds system is so good, their so-so farm system talent, would be better than the Angels best.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

We really are 3-5 moves away from being a playoff team, assuming Richards and the rest of the rotation are healthy. I don't buy, and the FO does not buy, that it's that bad. 1-2 starters, a 2B, and LFer and we are a 90 win team. Add in a bullpen arm or two, and we are even better.

Exactly. And the Angels don't need to add "big splash" guys either.  There are several second tier players available that could make a huge difference in 2017.

2 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

We really are 3-5 moves away from being a playoff team, assuming Richards and the rest of the rotation are healthy. I don't buy, and the FO does not buy, that it's that bad. 1-2 starters, a 2B, and LFer and we are a 90 win team. Add in a bullpen arm or two, and we are even better.

That's a huge assumption in itself. Especially after what we witnessed this year. The win now thing has depleted the minor leagues to the point of being recognized by all of baseball as one of, if not the, worst in MLB. Injuries are going to happen, it's a fact of life. You need real talent in the minors that can come in and cover for injuries, and compiling a bag of peanuts and hoping for a clean one is a shaky way to go.

I get what they are saying, and I even get what they are doing and why. I'm just not believing they can contend until they get some good drafts under their belt and develop some of their own players, rather than sifting through piles of peanuts hoping for a few gems that have been discarded elsewhere. There's just not the depth to sustain a 162 game season right now.

I do appreciate the insight here on what they are telling the ticket buyers.