• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Simmons and Carlos Perez(?!) are gold glove finalists.

Richard

Perez is definitely a solid defender. He fixed some of his passed ball issues this year and continued to gun down runners, although his pitch framing still rates as below average. What I found interesting is his counterpart, Jett Bandy, threw out a better % of runners, framed pitches better and allowed less passed balls. 

Simmons being dominated was a given. Lindor will win but with Simmons healthy for a full year next year, he can probably steal it. 

Carlos Perez, really? I guess we're still primarily judging catchers based on caught stealing rates. His framing was worth -2.5 runs below average, his throwing was worth 1.4. He's pretty close to an average defensive catcher but I certainly would not have had him as a gold glove contender.

Simmons v Lindor will be an interesting debate. It's probably one of those cases where I couldn't argue with whichever of them won it. I think Lindor will win but you can make strong cases for either of them.

well, Correa isn't even a finalist......but Francisco Lindor is -- so he probably wins at SS.

Both of our Gold Glove finalists -- Simmons (124 games) and Carlos Perez (spent some time at AAA) played in fewer games than the folks they are competing against for the award.

As for Carlos Perez -- no wonder he's one of three finalists -- the league had to pick two other guys some how - I think Salvadore Perez of the KC Royals may have the Gold Glove award wrapped up for the next ten years.

As for the Angels -- how is Mike Trout NOT a finalist in CF ???

1. The Rawlings Gold Glove Award® represents overall fielding excellence, and it is not an award based solely on fielding metrics and statistics, nor does it factor offensive production.
  2. Only the manager and his coaching staff on each Major League Baseball team vote, and each person must sign the completed Ballot in order to be considered valid.
  3. Managers and coaches cannot vote for their own players and can only vote for players in their own League.
  4. Cast votes for players at particular positions, not in general terms; i.e. qualified LF instead of three general OF.
  5. Eligibility for a Rawlings Gold Glove Award closely follows qualification standards set forth in MLB Rule 10.22 (Minimum Standards for Individual Championships).
  6. Only players listed in the resource guide are eligible for a Rawlings Gold Glove Award at the specific position listed. For rules on player qualification for a particular position, please see the “Notes & Glossary” section of the resource guide. Qualified players are sorted in alphabetical order.
  7. The votes are confidential between Major League Baseball and Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc.

16 hours ago, disarcina said:

well, Correa isn't even a finalist......but Francisco Lindor is -- so he probably wins at SS.

Both of our Gold Glove finalists -- Simmons (124 games) and Carlos Perez (spent some time at AAA) played in fewer games than the folks they are competing against for the award.

As for Carlos Perez -- no wonder he's one of three finalists -- the league had to pick two other guys some how - I think Salvadore Perez of the KC Royals may have the Gold Glove award wrapped up for the next ten years.

As for the Angels -- how is Mike Trout NOT a finalist in CF ???

Remember that Rafael Palmiero won over Erstad in 1999. He played 28 games at 1st base. 

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/12/2/2604446/rafael-palmeiro-1999-gold-glove

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That happened waaay back when the cheater Palmeiro won at 1B, despite not playing many games there that season.

the exact moment of demarcation for me, as well. the wool was pulled from my eyes that day.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

They've changed the criteria since then. You have to have a certain amount of innings at the position to be eligible to receive votes now.

It's still a bullshit award.

I think Spiezio got robbed of one when he was with us too, he had a .997 or .999 fielding percentage and I couldn't believe it.

Or it might have been the Erstad year ya'll are talking about.

Either way I know one of our 1st basemen got robbed back in the early 2000's when he was having a great year at 1st. 

Is Jim Kaat still winning the award at the AL Pitchers' spot.

lot of the comments on this thread ring so true -- at certain positions (like pitcher) a certain guy wins one year and then that same player tends to become a lock up until the time he retires and if some of the folks aren't paying a lot of attention......may even win the award post-retirement !!

The Palmiero at 1B story is amazing -- I was probably outraged at the time but can't remember. I guess my first question would have been : You mean  Palimeiro actually owns a glove?

check the pitcher's winning this thing over the years -- you'll see the same name over and over again.

Grienke changes teams and still is on the list.......may not have a great year on the Hill but man can he field his position !!! LOL !!!!

Let's see if Yadier can hold off Buster this year -- I still think Yadier is the best in the NL but have to give the MLB nod to Salvator Perez these days and the Cleveland catcher is turning heads in this World Series -- fielding and offense.

I remember Orlando Cabrera getting robbed of the award by a well past his prime Jeter who, that year, DH'd quite a bit and took a few days off as well. Orlando Cabrera - a player who I really liked even back in his Montreal days (and that's a ways back) might have played in all 162 games or very close to it, anyway, that year for the Halos, was absolutely stellar for us a-field and had a good year at the plate as well -- and didn't win the Gold Glove award.

I will have to look it up -- but Orlando Cabrera -- he played for us about what ? two/ three seasons only ?  I thought he played very well for the Halos and was sort of sad that we didn't sign him to a new contract back then - I think he wound up with Minnesota and perhaps another team before his playing days were over-- but the guy had a pretty good MLB career which wasn't noticed much because he spent his best years playing in Montreal getting no media coverage and what little coverage there was went to Vlad.

The real rotten thing about O-Cab getting robbed that year was that for Jeetz it was just another Gold Glove (he had several -- how he would ever beat out Omar Vizquel when both were starting SS in the AL is beyond me -- don't think there are many SS in MLB history - other than Ozzie Smith - that rank up there defensively with Vizquel) is that a Gold Glove for the relatively unheralded and unrewarded O-Cab would have meant a lot more to him than just another automatic award for Jeetz -- aside from the fact that O-Cab was clearly more deserving that year.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

the criterion that offense isn't included in judgement is laughable.

that argument was laid to rest once and for all when a guy played 28 games in the field but hit .324 with an ops of 1.050 won a gold glove