• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What (if anything) would make you no longer be a fan?

zenmaster

27 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Change the name of the team, without moving.  Include the phrase "...of xxx" in the name, opening it for decades of ridicule.  Make sure you change the name two years after winning the World Series.

Buy aging has-beens, and tout their glory in their better days in other uniforms, as a selling point.

Do absolutely nothing to improve the in-game experience, resulting in a stale, dated stadium product.

Sour the relationship with the current city in which you reside, resulting in a complete stalemate in making any progress towards new stadium or improvements.

Yeah.  I'm slowly becoming less of a fan of the organization.  Seems like a backwater organization and not very forward-thinking.  Icing on the cake might be trading Trout. I was a Dodger fan until Piazza, Konerko and Pedro were traded.  Stupid, stupid moves... 

In order:

1. Traded Trout

2. Dropped a boatload of coin on washed up players, one year wonders, junkies or ex-hgh users yet again.

3. re-upped Sven to a Multi year deal.

4. Moved

5. Changed the name again to take advantage of the complete California Market.             The Los Angeles Angels of San Diego Northern and Central California of the Sierra's

6. Drop all of our international coin on a single Cuban and or Dominican yet again and say we've done something!

7. re-sign Weaver to another 4/80M contract.

8. Consider bringing CJ back!

If they traded Trout to the Cubs, Yankees, Rangers, A's, Dodgers or Red Sox would be strike 1.

If moved to Vegas, or San Antonio, that would be strike 2.

If Arte continues to operate as a small market club in order to maximize his own profit, strike 3.

I'd have to find a new team then, and I guess it'd be a toss up between the Padres and Giants.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I am giving you a hard time because you said you root for the home team.  Well if the Angels left the Dodgers would be the home team.  

That's correct.

But I grew up in SFV, I was a Dodgers fan before I was an Angels fan. So it wouldn't be a difficult transition.

I'm not sure what it would take for me but I know my pops went to a game late this season with my mom and they were both not happy.

I won't go deep into specifics to bitch and moan, but basically he wasn't happy with the parking situation and said the stadium felt "run down and dirty," he couldn't believe how much it cost for a soda, and he also thought the Angels played like crap and he said if it weren't for Trout he probably would have left early. Straight up he said "he's done" with going to Angels games. Unless something drastically changes, I tend to believe him. He's worked hard to earn his money and he'd rather spend it somewhere else.

This coming from a guy who loves baseball and had Season Tickets for something like 5+ seasons.

I haven't been to an Angel game since August 2014. Can't say I miss it, but hey, we have Trout and it's my home team.

If they moved away there is no way in hell I would become a Doyer fan.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

If they traded Trout to the Cubs, Yankees, Rangers, A's, Dodgers or Red Sox would be strike 1.

If moved to Vegas, or San Antonio, that would be strike 2.

If Arte continues to operate as a small market club in order to maximize his own profit, strike 3.

I'd have to find a new team then, and I guess it'd be a toss up between the Padres and Giants.

The Las Vegas Angels sounds like a Strip Club... 

Would new jerseys be covered in glitter? 

1 hour ago, halomatt said:

I was a Dodger fan until Piazza, Konerko and Pedro were traded.  Stupid, stupid moves... 

Same here, except for me it was solely Piazza. I was still pretty young back then, didn't know the whole logistics to the "trade" game, so didn't really have any reason to be a Doyer fan except he was on their team. And once I saw that we got Charles Johnson as a catcher instead, it just didn't make sense. Broke my heart and I swore to never be a fan of the team again.

Mom always took me to Angel Stadium anyway, which was 10 minutes away instead of an hour away, so that day I became a Halo fan. And once I got to see guys like Erstad and Anderson play, well, that was it for me. Been a Halo fan ever since. 

If they trade Trout I would become extremely bitter.  Obviously I don't live in So Cal anymore but I still would be unhappy if they moved out of So Cal.  

For me the rest is just noise.  I will say this.  Every year they are in this funk I get a little less interested in them.  So maybe if this keeps going for the next 3+ years I might be as good as done.

I just can't imagine a scenario where moving the team brings any more value to Arte than keeping them where they are.  Arte is from Arizona and since they already have a team, I don't see him moving the halos out of this market.  In fact, I think most what has gone on between he and the COA  is part of the dance.  What does Arte have to lose?  If he doesn't like the impending terms, he'll sell his majority share and walk away with well over a billion in his pocket.  Then someone else with deep pockets (like the Chinese developers) will come along and throw a ton of money at a new stadium.  

Point being, I think there is exactly zero chance that this team won't be in this market.  

I turned my back on the team after 86' for about 2 years, but came around only to enjoy a decade and a half of suffering.  There isn't much they could do that they haven't already done at some point in their history.

I will say that if they bungle up an opportunity to keep Trout beyond his current contract because of money issues, I would likely have little interest in a Moreno run team until he decided to move on.  

But baseball in general is in my blood and those cells have an A with a halo around it on them.  

The thing that would bum me out the most is the inability to share that passion with my kids.  the 79, 82, and 86 seasons as well as some good runs in 84, and 85 drew me in and I was hooked.  I want them to at least have something to root for over the next 5 years or so.  If they took that opportunity away, I think my passion would wane a fair amount.  

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Change the name of the team, without moving.  Include the phrase "...of xxx" in the name, opening it for decades of ridicule.  Make sure you change the name two years after winning the World Series.

Buy aging has-beens, and tout their glory in their better days in other uniforms, as a selling point.

Do absolutely nothing to improve the in-game experience, resulting in a stale, dated stadium product.

Sour the relationship with the current city in which you reside, resulting in a complete stalemate in making any progress towards new stadium or improvements.

still have your season tickets?

5 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

If they moved and renamed them...for example, if they moved to Portland and called themselves the Pioneers.  

I would agree, though they'd be just 2.5 hours away for me so I'd still be a fan. If they moved to Arizona or the east coast and did the same thing, I'd says see ya..

Probably moving out of the area, which I doubt will happen.  Otherwise I've already adjusted to Angels being less than top tier.  I still enjoy going to spring training, still enjoy an occasional game.  What would excite me is new ownership (given the right new owner).

5 hours ago, Junkballer said:

I thought I'd be a lifelong Rams fan until John Shaw & Georgia Frontiere essentially decided to ruin the team in order to move it.  I think I'll always be an Angels fan but certain things I would consider a betrayal, such as not working in good faith to keep the team within the greater LA region.  I can handle mediocrity by moderating the amount of time I spend watching & reading about them, but it would really take something extraordinary by ownership for me to flip the switch.  Still can't turn the Rams switch back on, nor the NFL for that matter.

i was right with you until the last sentence. i adopted the packers (i was always a casual fan of theirs and the idiotic move to st. louis pushed in that direction full tilt). i've kept up with football but am glad to have the rams back in town. not ready to root for them above the packers yet, but i'm giving it some time. we'll see where it goes.

as for the halos, my tipping point would be if they moved out of immediate area and then won a world series (similar to what the rams did). i'm already mentally preparing for when they sign 37 year old kyle schwarber to a six year deal, but it won't deter my fandom-ing-ness.

The only thing that would make me stop following the franchise is if they moved out of OC.  This is the franchise I grew up watching and rooting for.  I remember going to fan appreciation days on the field in the late 80's early 90's which is something I'll never forget and I still have the pictures with former players.  When there were sports card shows at the local malls guys like Garrett Anderson and Tim Salmon showed up to sign autographs not Dodger players.  Name changes, poor performance, bad signings, bad trades and so on can admittedly impact how many games I go to or tune in for but none of those would make me stop following the franchise.  

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would agree, though they'd be just 2.5 hours away for me so I'd still be a fan. If they moved to Arizona or the east coast and did the same thing, I'd says see ya..

Portland would be closer to me as well...

I would say losing Trout in a bad trade.  Then again, I hung around with the Penguins when they traded Jagr for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk.  So I'd probably be dumb enough to stick around then too.

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I probably would.  I guess I would struggle if they went down to Mexico, because I don't ever plan on going back to Mexico. I have heard great things about Montreal, and will try and vacation up there in the next few years.  If I do I will hit you up so you can give me the run down.  

Strad you and your family would love visiting Montreal. It's a fun city.