• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Will making fun of overweight people ever be un-PC?

3 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Watching Mrs. Doubtfire on the plane made me realize how not too long ago, making 'LGBT' jokes was fine, now it's no longer socially acceptable.  

Those were better times. I think everyone should be able to be made fun of, make it a nice level playing field.

Things have changed though, with the internet, if people don't like what you're saying they can track you down, harass you, get you fired, and destroy your life. 

3 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Watching Mrs. Doubtfire on the plane made me realize how not too long ago, making 'LGBT' jokes was fine, now it's no longer socially acceptable.  

Still plenty of fat jokes, a ton of it is genetics.  Do heavy people get sensitive about this kind of thing? 

Much of the problem that I have struggled with for a lifetime is genetic. Some people assume that everyone who is heavy is sedentary, lazy and grossly overeats. That isn't the case.

I'm a relatively large man who also happens to be mostly bald. I'm not really very sensitive about either one since I feel like I've earned them both. When someone wants to make a joke about either weight or hairline I usually just ask them if that means we're going personal because that might not be a great idea for someone with your nose/forehead/IQ/fashion sense/grooming habits, etc..... It's usually enough to shut them up.

In Mrs Doubtfire, Robin Williams calls Sallly Fields with false applicants in an attempt to scare her, and one of the applicants lines ends in explaining that "she was born a man".  Sally Fields gives a grossed out look and hangs up.  No way that would fly today, roughly 20 years later.  

The other night there was some NBC show with 5 fat jokes, who knows how that will be considered 20 years from now, but if we're going to cut out all the other jokes about genetics why should "fat jokes" stick around?

Not to sound sexist (I'm totally going to sound sexist) but it's pretty much 99.9% women who get all touchy about their weight and talk about "fat shaming" and stupid shit like that. 

As a fat dude, I'm totally cool with it. Genetics had absolutely nothing to do with my weight. I'm just lazy and love beer and food. Simple as that. 

18 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Still plenty of fat jokes, a ton of it is genetics.  Do heavy people get sensitive about this kind of thing? 

If any place would have experts on the topic, it would be angelswin.com [/rimshot]

You can't fat shame me, but you can shame me for watching the new Kevin James sitcom.  I like the cute new housewife.  And, to add to the King of Queens weirdness, his brother in real life, (Danny on KOQ) is on the new show as well.

The show is terrible, but my wife and i watch from bizarre reason.

Mrs. Doutbfire is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen, especially since it considered itself a family comedy. It had Robin Williams for the majority of the film doing his lighthearted shtick while everything else around him is morose and mean. The deleted scenes were even more into the full blown drama.

33 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

great movie from about the same time: The Birdcage.

speaking of mrs doubtfire, the house is up for sale. only $4.45m. you can be my neighbor!

http://sf.curbed.com/2016/9/26/13063304/mrs-doubtfire-home-sale

It would probably go for an even $5m. if Mr. Wicked didn't live down the street.

It's a weird issue, because there are a number of factors at work. On the extreme ends there are some people that can down 4,000 calories of crap every day, do nothing, and still look great naked; and there are some people that can watch what they eat, work their ass off, and still be significantly overweight. I think the vast majority of us lie somewhere in the wide range between those two extremes (though age matters a lot here too). I was pretty overweight (not horribly so... Like 5'7" 190-200) for most of my teens/early twenties, and I was never bothered by good-natured teasing by friends or co-workers mainly because I understood there wasn't any malice in it on the part of others and I knew it was my doing (i.e. It wasn't a disease, but just my refusal to change things). That being said, it would've bothered me if someone did it with the intent to cause harm. On the flip side, if someone approached me with a "Hey, you wanna talk about a plan to get healthier?", I would've viewed that as a genuinely kind gesture and taken no offense at all. In the end, I changed my habits on my own accord and got down to a healthier weight (generally between 155-165 now), though I am prone to the occasional month or so of terrible eating. But I always bounce back and correct it.

59 minutes ago, Don said:

It's a weird issue, because there are a number of factors at work. On the extreme ends there are some people that can down 4,000 calories of crap every day, do nothing, and still look great naked; and there are some people that can watch what they eat, work their ass off, and still be significantly overweight. I think the vast majority of us lie somewhere in the wide range between those two extremes (though age matters a lot here too). I was pretty overweight (not horribly so... Like 5'7" 190-200) for most of my teens/early twenties, and I was never bothered by good-natured teasing by friends or co-workers mainly because I understood there wasn't any malice in it on the part of others and I knew it was my doing (i.e. It wasn't a disease, but just my refusal to change things). That being said, it would've bothered me if someone did it with the intent to cause harm. On the flip side, if someone approached me with a "Hey, you wanna talk about a plan to get healthier?", I would've viewed that as a genuinely kind gesture and taken no offense at all. In the end, I changed my habits on my own accord and got down to a healthier weight (generally between 155-165 now), though I am prone to the occasional month or so of terrible eating. But I always bounce back and correct it.

So you're like a foot taller than Nate