• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bailey not a FA?

DMVol

This says he's eligible for arbitration, if we want to go that route....Only gave up a run in one appearance out of 12....would give you some depth with Street and Bedrock....throw in Ramirez, Guerra, Alvarez....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-2017.html

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/30096/andrew-bailey

13 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Another source says that he is an unrestricted free agent in 2017.

Andrew Bailey

The MLB Trade Rumors article has Super 2's so it might be a little more credible but hard to tell....even if that is correct, Eppler might not want to give Bailey an arbitration opportunity....

Baseball-Reference shows him as a free agent after this season and nothing referencing Super Two status so I don't think that applies. Also COTS baseball contracts shows him on a 1 year Minor League deal in 2016 so he is a free agent as far as I can tell. All that being said I think the Angels should consider re-signing him on a new Minor League deal.

It is close, but I don't think Bailey is a free agent.  Coming into 2016, Bailey had 5 yrs and 34 days of MLB service time.  He wasn't added to the Phillies roster until late April and missed another month after being designated for assignment.  So he presumably earned somewhere around 130 days of MLB service time in 2016, which would put him around 5 years and 164 days.  That puts him about 8 days shy of becoming a free agent (172 days = 1 year of MLB service time). If the Phillies had not designated him for assignment, he would be a free agent.

41 minutes ago, oater said:

It is close, but I don't think Bailey is a free agent.  Coming into 2016, Bailey had 5 yrs and 34 days of MLB service time.  He wasn't added to the Phillies roster until late April and missed another month after being designated for assignment.  So he presumably earned somewhere around 130 days of MLB service time in 2016, which would put him around 5 years and 164 days.  That puts him about 8 days shy of becoming a free agent (172 days = 1 year of MLB service time). If the Phillies had not designated him for assignment, he would be a free agent.

That HAS to blow from his perspective -- will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

40 minutes ago, maximus p said:

Wasn't he already a free agent when the Angels signed him?  I don't think you go back to not being a free agent after signing as free agent and that contract is over, but you have less than 6 years service time.

You do. If you're on a 40-man roster and you have 3-6 years of service time and you don't have a contract, you are arbitration eligible. 

You can't make yourself a FA with less than 6 years of service time. Only if you're released. 

17 hours ago, oater said:

That's what you get from the MLB TR article....but I think Jeff is right....even if he is arbitration eligible rather than a FA, Eppler might not want to risk what he would make in arbitration, as opposed to releasing him and then trying to sign him as a FA....a little hard to know what his market would be...an unknown for him and the Angels....if I'm Bailey, I might be inclined to jump if the Angels make him a good one year offer....if he liked the oganization and coaches, etc., and knows what his role might be (7th inning or 8th inning, depending on Bedrock and Street), he might want to take a decent offer rather than risk the market and signing with a team where he doesn't have the comfort level he has with the Angels....we'll see....

10 hours ago, maximus p said:

Wasnt he released by Philadelphia or Oakland?

He has been granted free agency, or released by the Red Sox, Yankees twice, and Philadelphia

Yes he was released. But then he was claimed, which puts him right back in team control. 

Shane Robinson has been released a few times but he's under Angels control. 

Anyway, Bailey is a free agent because he has more than 6 years of service time. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes he was released. But then he was claimed, which puts him right back in team control. 

Shane Robinson has been released a few times but he's under Angels control. 

Anyway, Bailey is a free agent because he has more than 6 years of service time. 

any indication from eppler if they want to keep bailey around? or is that unknown/not allowed to be revealed yet?

9 hours ago, Tank said:

any indication from eppler if they want to keep bailey around? or is that unknown/not allowed to be revealed yet?

At this point the answer is always "Yeah, we liked what he did. We will certainly keep in touch with him, as we would with all our players."

Whether they want to keep Bailey depends on what Bailey wants. If he'll take $1M plus incentives and no expectation to close, they'll take that. If he wants $5M and a closer job, they won't.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

At this point the answer is always "Yeah, we liked what he did. We will certainly keep in touch with him, as we would with all our players."

Whether they want to keep Bailey depends on what Bailey wants. If he'll take $1M plus incentives and no expectation to close, they'll take that. If he wants $5M and a closer job, they won't.

He was good with the Angels last year, but it was still a small sample size. Would be surprised if his expectations or asking price will be that high. If Street winds up midseason trade bait, Bailey may have the best opportunity to close here.