• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official MLB Playoff Thread

12 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Lackey is heading into his 6th Championship Series. He's in his 9th post season, and could be headed to his 3rd WS.

Not bad.

Plus he's closing in on the 100 million dollar mark for his career, and he's never been the ace of any staff that I can remember.

Lackey was the Angels' ace from '05 until he left in '09

Weaver started his ace status with the Angels in '10 with 13-12 3.01 ERA 224.1 IP 233 K (led the AL) 1.074 WHIP

4 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Weaver started his ace status with the Angels in '10 with 13-12 3.01 ERA 224.1 IP 233 K (led the AL) 1.074 WHIP

I'll buy that. The period, until 09, was marred by painful losses to Boston, The era between the failed squeeze and Mathis's HR game is somewhat cloudy. (self preservation) 

Lackey was a stud here (no horse joke). Weaver has been great for us (last few years aside, but taken as a whole). Looking beyond that, i moss the days of getting guys like paul byrd, and piniero, and garland for relatively cheap. Guys whos names kind of let us down when we wanted someone better, but solidified our rotstion and made us sich a pain in the ass to teams with better offenses than ours.

I know we used to have a better farm, and better contracts, etc, but we used to make a lot better davy, little moves than we do now it feels like.

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Didn't Bartolo Colon win the AL Cy Young award in 05? I think that makes him the ace of the staff.

Just sayin

Go Halos!!!

Just now, 19HALO71 said:

Didn't Bartolo Colon win the AL Cy Young award in 05? I think that makes him the ace of the staff.

Just sayin

Go Halos!!!

Colon and Lackey were basically the same pitcher (Colon 122 ERA+, Lackey 123 ERA+) and holy shit did Johan Santana get robbed of the AL Cy Young that year (Johan 155 ERA+ 2.87 ERA 0.971 WHIP vs 122 ERA+ 3.48 ERA 1.159 WHIP)

That was Colon's only season in which didn't suck for the Halos and he couldn't even finish the playoffs.  Lackey was his equal if not better

12 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I confess. I conceded last night's game to the Giants and turned it off. I almost ran off the road this morning when Mike Greenberg said, "The Cubs are on their way to the NLCS."

Comes from watching too many Angels games the past few seasons. You missed one of the best playoff comebacks since WS game 6 2002...in fact it was the biggest 9th inning deficit overcome in the playoff era.

Not often you see a club president guzzling champagne with the boys after a division series...and being interviewed with an obvious buzz..but that whole team, from Theo on down, let loose like they had won it all.

If they do, they can look back on that 9th inning as the point where the pressure really came off. I really don't see anything stopping them now.

Maddon out-managed Bochy with the -Coughlin-Contrares move...who puts a mid-season call up rookie in that situation? (clue.. it isn't Scioscia)

From a fan perspective, I think it's really hard to completely comprehend how huge that win last night really was and is. I watched that 2002 Angels team from day 1 of the season, and they fought like that and came from behind all year..but these Cubs have been such a powerhouse. I mean what was it a 240 + run diff??They just beat people up. To come back in a big game like that is what brought Orange County it's only WS, and that's what it takes to win in post season play where the conditioned teams, especially the Giants who are the poster boys for guts, knows that the game is NEVER over.

That kind of confidence is hard to get, and once it's there, it's really hard to beat.

Here's the post game interviews...I've watched them a few times and they give me goose bumps. If there is anything that can beat 2002 in my lifetime, this could be it. I was a Cub fan before my family moved to So Cal in 1965..But I went to Angel Stadium for the first time a week or two after the doors opened in 66. I've seen my Angels there (and went to most of the playoff games and all of the WS games at home that season) I won't be at any of these games, but it will mean just as much. 

Anyhow check out these interviews..

http://www.bleachernation.com/2016/10/12/cubs-speak-rizzo-ross-epstein-maddon-zobrist-contreras-bryant-discuss-win/

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@domain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at www.angelswin-forum.com Port 80

Jeezus homebrewer we get it. Why don't you post another 5 times in a row for sh*ts and giggles? 

jk

IMO Jered could've won Cy Young in 2012 with 20 wins, and to place behind Verlander was a freakin' travesty. But Price definitely had a stellar year. 

If the Nats don't beat los Doyers tomorrow the Cubbies certainly will. 

4 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

"and to place behind Verlander was a freakin' travesty. But Price definitely had a stellar year."

A travesty?  Both Price and Verlander had better seasons than Weaver.  If anything, Verlander should be complaining about not winning the award over Price:

Verlander: 2.64 ERA 238.1 IP 6 Complete Games 1 Shut out 239 K (Led the AL) ERA + 161 (Led AL) 1.057 WHIP 7.8 WAR 

Price:        2.56 ERA 211.0 IP 2 Complete Games 1 Shut out 205 K  ERA+ 150 1.100 WHIP 6.9 WAR

For comparison:

Weaver:    2.81 ERA 188.2 IP 3 Complete Games 2 Shut outs 142 K ERA+ 135 1.018 WHIP 4.0 WAR

3 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

I'm a big believer in Rich Hill but I'm not a huge fan of the decision to start on short rest. I think they should have gone with Urias. I have to imagine Hill's leash is very short anyway.

Think the rookie on the road in a playoff game sets up disaster, but then again he's probably looking at a start in Chicago if they advance.