• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jered Weaver: "I am definitely NOT retiring."

Richard

On 12/10/2016 at 2:28 PM, Dochalo said:

I would rather see us give 1 or 2 yr deals to the likes of Rich Hill, or Dickey.

Dickey is certainly a possibility but Hill is going to get way more than most people are expecting, I believe. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up with 3 years and more than $50 million.

16 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Dickey is certainly a possibility but Hill is going to get way more than most people are expecting, I believe. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up with 3 years and more than $50 million.

Not a chance in hell Rich Hill gets that much. He only pitched 110 innings this year, and he's going to be 37 years old. Maybe 2/20, but nowhere close to 50 million. 

8 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Not a chance in hell Rich Hill gets that much. He only pitched 110 innings this year, and he's going to be 37 years old. Maybe 2/20, but nowhere close to 50 million. 

2/20 isn't going to be close to it. Teams are paying $8.5 million per win and he was worth 4 wins this year in only 110 innings while being limited by a fluke injury. If he only gets two years, his AAV will definitely top $15 million and probably be higher than $20 million. But I think he gets three years, probably with an AAV north of $15 million. He is the best pitcher on the market by a very long way.

There is interesting speculation on his value here - http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/rich-hill-free-agent.html

Also, earlier this year, Sam Miller (then editor of Baseball Prospectus) said 3/65 wasn't totally out of the question. Whether that is high or not, it is going to be so much above 2/20.

Well, there's no change in his velocity so I don't expect him to have a resurgence. That said, he's pretty much stabilized in velocity over the last couple years--he's no longer slowing down. But stabilized at an average of 83 mph per fastball. Chances are he'll continue as is next year, with an ERA somewhere in the 4.50 to 5.50 range.

4235_P_FA_20160926.png

23 hours ago, Oz27 said:

2/20 isn't going to be close to it. Teams are paying $8.5 million per win and he was worth 4 wins this year in only 110 innings while being limited by a fluke injury. If he only gets two years, his AAV will definitely top $15 million and probably be higher than $20 million. But I think he gets three years, probably with an AAV north of $15 million. He is the best pitcher on the market by a very long way.

There is interesting speculation on his value here - http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/rich-hill-free-agent.html

Also, earlier this year, Sam Miller (then editor of Baseball Prospectus) said 3/65 wasn't totally out of the question. Whether that is high or not, it is going to be so much above 2/20.

If any GM offers him 3 years at 15 million per than they can have fun with that. That's atrocious and I hope Eppler doesn't even entertain that option.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Should we totally ignore Weave's 7 starts to close 2016, featuring a mid 3.00s ERA and solid Ks count?

Yes. As AJ pointed out, his velocity was no better. That sample size includes three road starts and he got badly beaten up in two of them. He also had a .255 BABIP allowed in that sample, which screams 'luck' given that's nearly 50 points lower than his BABIP for the season. Plus it's an arbitrarily-selected sample which is always very dangerous, especially since he was terrible right before the arbitrarily-selected sample.

Jeff Weaver's career was essentially over when he was picked up by the St, Louis Cardinals - and, true, this was back when  La Russa was the manager and Dave Duncan was the pitching coach - but Jeff Weaver (not for the first time in his career) had pitched himself out of a job with his team (might have been the Angels back then -- Jered took his roster spot - I remember that part) and on to St. Louis.  After a few very rocky starts where Jeff Weaver didn't get anyone out and seem destined to be DFA'd -- he turned it around and wound up winning one or two World Series games for the Cardinals.

Perhaps Jered Weaver should repeat history and sign with St. Louis...........I think Jered has some quality starts in him and can help some team if he is used properly.

Obviously not a front line starter any more but a fifth starter guy who may need a few extra days of rest between starts now and then, he can eke out an extra year, IMO. Two more years might be pushing it - not sure if Jered could convert to a different role -- but then, again, one of the 'WORST' starting pitchers in MLB in 2014 (Joe Blanton) has apparently done so......

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Should we totally ignore Weave's 7 starts to close 2016, featuring a mid 3.00s ERA and solid Ks count?

yes, we should.

age in sports is like a fallen soldier. you're better served to honor his memory, than lament his passing.

jered weaver's career as an angel is over, as it should be. 

the adage is -- rather rid the team of an aging star 'a year too early' than a 'year too late'

here, some folks may contend the 'year too late -- 2016 -- has already come and gone'

I think Weaver can still pitch effectively and help some team.......but if he doesn't fit into the Halos plans and the Halos have a better (and if not better, cheaper) option available, that's OK and that's the way MLB economics are these days........oh well.

• 6 months later...
On October 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM, eligrba4ever said:

I could see Jered winning comeback of the year with the Rangers, Mariners or even the Dodgers. And by June, I'd be reading all the whining about how Epp blew it by letting him go.

Instead, sign him for a year if he'll accept it. Don't overpay, but don't insult him by low-balling. Put in incentives. If you have to cut him by July, you won't owe him that much.

On October 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Angels#1Fan said:

^^^This^^^

On October 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Angel Oracle said:

He had solid stats over the last 7 starts of the 2016 season (3.63 ERA and 1.24 WHIP with 34 K's in 39.2 innings), and a fastball gaining speed.   Give him one more season while Heaney and Tropeano recover.

On October 1, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Stradling said:

He's clearly done, but no we don't have enough better in house options.  I'd much rather go into next season with Weaver as our number 5 or long man out of the pen than Daniel Wright.  We have no idea if Richards will be back.  Seriously who are our five better in house options for next year?  And don't forget it takes about ten starters to make it through a season. I'd offer him 1 year and $6 million or so.  How many starts did he miss this year, one?  

On October 2, 2016 at 9:47 AM, joeybaseball said:

Jered is worth more to the club than just stats.His presence on the team gives others a winning-never-give-up attitude that can be infectious. He's a warrior. His second half had many better games than the first, when his fastball ticked up a notch.

How could it be bad to give him an incentive -laid contract? 

i agree 

On October 14, 2016 at 6:59 AM, tdawg87 said:

Perhaps the top free-agent starting pitcher this offseason has found a home, as lefty Rich Hill has signed back with the Dodgers. The club announced the three-year deal as official Monday, and it's for a reported $48 million (via Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports).

You were correct. Nowhere close to $50 million. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Still can't get over 14 HRs allowed in 41.2 innings.  SMFH bad

EDIT: it's now 16 HRs in 42.1 ip

At that pace, if he pitches the same amount of innings as he did last year, he will give up 67 HRs

. . .  but he's a team leader

Edited by Lou